Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shive_gw

Plantstep Flower Software

shive
10 years ago

If you haven't heard about Plantstep software for keeping track of your daylilies and making a catalog, you might want to check it out. I've never had a database for my daylilies, but now that I'm getting older I have trouble remembering the names of all 650 of my daylilies. This software makes it a breeze to quickly put together a database and add pictures. You just click on the cultivars you have, and the program automatically adds all the stats for you. And with the one-time cost of the program, you can post your catalog online. The Plantstep catalog is a great place to shop for reasonably priced daylilies too. There are lots of folks with catalogs there from whom I've bought in the past. Jordan's Daylilies, Patricia Ball, Robert O'Neal and Dragon Meade (Packrat on the Lily Auction) are some I recommend.

Here's my catalog I created in just a couple of days:

http://www.Plantstep.com/FlowerCatalog.psl?action=11247

Comments (16)

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Maryl - Yes, I've only had the program for about two weeks now. It was super easy to use. If you do have a question, the program developers get back to you very quickly with answers. I used to be able to remember the names and where all my daylilies were planted without a database. But as I get older, I'm finding I get more forgetful. That's why I decided to get the program. And when I found out putting the catalog online was free with the low cost of the program - $29.00 - I decided that was a good deal.

Debra

• nat4b
    10 years ago

I was looking at this program some time ago and for some reason thought it's more for hybridizers. Right now my Excel spreadsheet is enough for me, but this looks like a neat thing.
    Btw, at first I tried googling the link and it took me to your ATP thread :)

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's the hotlink. It should take you to my catalog, and you can access the others and info about the software from there.

Here is a link that might be useful: Plantstep Catalog

• maximus7116
    10 years ago

Is this helpful software if you aren't planning to sell plants? I bought some software a few years ago and then my computer died and I never retrieved the software. I'm looking for a personal database that lets me indicate where plants are located in the garden, and I wasn't sure if this software allows you to track that.

I'm assuming you upload your own photos? Your catalog looks beautiful.

Chris

• Julia WV (6b)
    10 years ago

I've had PlantStep for about 3 years now. I love it. I don't post my catalog as this is just for my own "get organized" and "keep track" requirement and also to check who I bought certain plants from, pricing, etc. I like the hybridizing feature as well.

I think the pricing is very reasonable for what it can do. JMO.

Julia

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Chris - I think its a great personal database for you plants. It has a place where you can designate what bed a daylily is in. I haven't used that part of the program yet.

Julia - I do like that it has a place to put where you bought the daylily. That's always helpful info if the plant turns out not to be the one you ordered.

Debra

• TNY78
    10 years ago

Hmm, I'll have to check it out. Right now I have 800+ roses and a couple hundred daylilies kept on excel sheets...where of course I have to key all the info myself. Might be worth looking into.

Tammy

• sann777
    8 years ago

Tell me, How do you get it. I have tried for two nights to download it and have heard nothing back by email. Do they write you a letter or what?

• April
    8 years ago

We use it and love it. So many features, but still user friendly. You decide how much or how little you use. My favorite parts of the program are the customizable and printable reports.

• jean_ar
    8 years ago

That looks great debra.and you have some gorgous daylilies, too.

jean

• lemonthyme5
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Is it $29 per year? How many DL' s can you load?

• April
    8 years ago

it's $29 period. no yearly cost. and as far as I can tell, it's unlimited.

• April
    8 years ago

does iris, hostas and lilium too.

• April
    8 years ago

• April
    8 years ago

the inventory section and the hybridizing section are separate, so if you don't hybridize, you don't have to mess with any of it. most of the info you listed is automatically pulled from the AHS site, to get all the stats, so you save tons of hours on data entry. but you still have room to add your own notes.

if you do hybridize, it makes the stages go very easy. you can plan your crosses, then bump them over to the pollination section once you actually make the cross, then bump them over to the seedling section when they start growing, and then can bump them into your main daylily inventory when you want.

and my favorite are the reports. we print these out and carry them with us when needed. and we don't ever worry about lost tags again, because once you put in the location, and a tag gets lost, you can always look it up. there are many different types of reports you can customize to your own needs.

all in all, the best $29 bucks ive spent on the gardens.