Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
desirai_gw

Germinating seeds

Desirai
11 years ago

How do you get daylily seeds to germinate? I've killed over 20 of them.. I only have 10 seeds left. :(

Comments (9)

• darobi2459
    11 years ago

how did you kill them?

• Desirai
    Original Author
    11 years ago

They swelled up and became nothing but goo and they had an odor

• timhensley
    11 years ago

I chill mine in the fridge in a small ziplock filled with purified water with a little hydrogen peroxide. Once they start to sprout I pot them up. Just keep the potting mix moist until they sprout. I have great germination rate.

• marricgardens
    11 years ago

Desirai, I give mine a cold period in the frig and then just plant them. What do you do to make yours swell up? Just curious. Marg

• Desirai
    Original Author
    11 years ago

someone told me to put them in a cup with just a little water to barely cover them and put them on a window sill and when they started to sprout put them in dirt. they swell up and started having an odor so i squeezed one and it was just mushy goo and they all ended up that way.

i will try the ziplock baggy method in the fridge

• darobi2459
    11 years ago

Ive done both, just put them in dirt (plastic baggy over the top) and in peroxide water in the fridge until the first one sprouts then put them in dirt.

I noticed if the seeds are already nice and plump just placing them in dirt works well. if they are a little shriveled some water might not hurt.
    Good luck!

• Desirai
    Original Author
    11 years ago

also is it true it takes 2 years for daylilies to bloom from seed

• Nancy Barginear
    11 years ago

I'm sorry to hear you have lost your seeds.

For the remainder, prepare a solution of 1/2 gallon of distilled water and 6 tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide. If the seeds are not already in the little zip-lock bags, put them there, fill the bag up 1/2 to 2/3 the way up with distilled water/hydrogen peroxide solution and seal. Turn the bags upside down to make sure they aren't leaking. Put them in a container with a tight-fitting lid, cover the bags with more of the solution and put the lid on. (Daisy brand sour cream or cottage cheese cartons work well.) Put the container in a dark closet or cabinet. The seeds must be kept in total darkness until they begin to grow. Start checking them after 4 days and remove any sprouted seeds and plant. Return any ungerminated seeds in their bags back to the closet. Most of them should have sprouted within 1-2 weeks.

I plant my seeds in 16-oz. styrofoam cups, with holes punched on bottom and sides. I use well-moistened Miracle-Gro Seed Starter for soil.The cups of seeds are placed in an alumimum foil roasting pan filled with water. I keep a loose-fitting sandwich bag over the cups until the first green shoot appears. Depending on the weather, I move the pans of growing seedlings outside to the patio ASAP. They are kept in shade until they have produced their second set of leaves. Then I start gradually introducing them to more and more sunlight. By the end of two weeks, they are in full sun all day. At that time, I change the water out and fill the pans with a solution of water and 1/2 strength fertilizer -- the kind that comes in little boxes (i.e. Miracle-Gro or Schultz's).

Other folks here at the forum may have different methods. All I can say is I have more seedlings at the moment than I know what to do with!

Nancy

• swontgirl_z5a
    11 years ago

It kind of sounds like your seeds were no good to start with if you have that many rot. I have soaked some in water for weeks on my counter with no problems. I do put some peroxide in the water I soak them in but am not very good about changing it regularly. I sometimes get some bags looking like they have mold -or whatever it is-growing in them and it usually means there is a bad seed in there. Once I remove it (it will be mushy too when squeezed) and put in fresh water the rest are fine.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner