Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
celestialrose_nh

A collection of doubles (photos)

celeste/NH
11 years ago

I notice that the doubles aren't as popular and that some folks love them while others don't care for them. I have a small collection of them and enjoy them and although I do prefer the single form daylilies, I think they add a new dimension to my gardens. Here's some pictures from last summer that I neglected to post.

Celeste

'KING KAHUNA' (my favorite... it is HUGE, 7" across and lights up the garden)
{{gwi:677296}}

DELTA'S DREAM
{{gwi:677297}}

'GLORIOUS AUTUMN'
{{gwi:677298}}

MADGE CAYSE
{{gwi:677299}}

STELLAR DOUBLE ROSE
{{gwi:677300}}

SCATTERBRAIN
{{gwi:677301}}

ZADA MAE
{{gwi:677302}}

LAND OF COTTON
{{gwi:677303}}

SILOAM GLORY BEE
{{gwi:677304}}

SILOAM PEONY DISPLAY
{{gwi:677306}}

HOLIDAY PARTY
{{gwi:677308}}

JERRY PATE WILLIAMS
{{gwi:677309}}

NIGHT EMBERS
{{gwi:677310}}

APRICOT CREAM TRUFFLE
{{gwi:677311}}

MOSES' FIRE
{{gwi:677312}}

PEACH MAGNOLIA

NOID

Comments (12)

• organic_kitten
    11 years ago

A very pretty collection, Celeste. I don't think I have any doubles, although I am sure I will eventually break down and add a couple..for variety, as you said.

I especially liked Scatterbrain and Holiday Party.

Too bad you couldn't just teleport down here. You could give me moral support while the seemingly unending clean up continues.
    It has been a beautiful day, and I spent 5 1/2 hours weeding, and mulching plus planting a few pansy clumps I got for $1 each at Lowes. Gotta have somewhere to hide Easter Eggs for the grandkids.
    kay

• jean_ar
    11 years ago

wow, Celeste.They are all just so pretty.I especiaslly like the first two and the last one the best and that purple one, night Embers? I think it was.Thank you for posting these beauties, i have 2 or 3 is all I have.and at the minute, cant think of THEIR names.

jean

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    11 years ago

There are two forms of doubles: Hose in Hose and Peony shaped. I'm partial to Peony shaped myself (as one detractor described them, "those daylilies with a waddd up kleenex in the middle"-lol). You have an excellent selection and even though Zada Mae looks to be a hose in hose to me, I am in love with that warm creamy yellow. Holiday Party is a real pretty one in person(Earlybird sells it) and your picture does justice to it. I've grown Madge Cayse and it was one of the latest bloomers I had. Another nice one. I like Siloam Glory Be too. Actually, they are all pretty. Thanks for sharing them with us.........Maryl

• marricgardens
    11 years ago

I have just started to get a few doubles. I see we both like Peach Magnolia. Madge Cayse is very nice, I love the color. Others I like are Night Embers and Glorious Autumn. The best one, IMHO, is King Kahuna! Thanks for posting. Marg

• marricgardens
    11 years ago

OOPS! I forgot to mention that the yellow NOID is very cute! Marg

• lesmc
    11 years ago

King Kahuna...WOW! I would love to have that beauty in my garden. Maybe it will be on Auction. Thanks for sharing! Lesley

• Julia WV (6b)
    11 years ago

I'm sold on doubles too. I started adding them 2 years ago. Could use a few more :-). Nice photos.

Julia

• lynxe
    11 years ago

Well, that was wonderful!

I have doubles, not many, but I don't have any of the ones you showed. I can see myself getting KING KAHUNA. Also interested to see that GLORIOUS AUTUMN thrives for you - I've always wanted that one. As for the rest, I could be happy with any of them.

My very favorite double continues to be Apps's MERINGUE MIRAGE however. It's one of those daylilies that I will always always have in my garden.

Oh, and I do love those Kropfs!

• pdsavage
    11 years ago

I love doubles,I only have one Affair D'Amour.
    But I do have lots of double cross seeds(planting this spring) and seedlings.

Thank you for sharing.

• flowergirl929
    11 years ago

I love them but don't have very many. It seems I keep buying them but some don't do all that well. Condilla always doubles and is very nice

• lisa_3
    11 years ago

While it is not a fast spreader, I have grown very attached to Tropic Embers-it has had three sets of blooms for the last two years!

• flowergirl929
    11 years ago

Wow I have never seen Tropic Embers before. It is beautiful and now I must run along and see if I can buy it! thanks alot LOL