Return to the Daylily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A collection of doubles (photos)

Posted by celestialrose zone 4/5 NH (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 8, 13 at 15:26

I notice that the doubles aren't as popular and that some folks love them while others don't care for them. I have a small collection of them and enjoy them and although I do prefer the single form daylilies, I think they add a new dimension to my gardens. Here's some pictures from last summer that I neglected to post.

Celeste

'KING KAHUNA' (my favorite... it is HUGE, 7" across and lights up the garden)
King Kahuna

DELTA'S DREAM
Delta's Dream

'GLORIOUS AUTUMN'
Glorious Autumn

MADGE CAYSE
Madge Cayse

STELLAR DOUBLE ROSE
Stellar Double Rose

SCATTERBRAIN
Scatterbrain

ZADA MAE
Zada Mae

LAND OF COTTON
Land of Cotton

SILOAM GLORY BEE
Siloam Glory Bee

SILOAM PEONY DISPLAY
Siloam Peony Display

HOLIDAY PARTY
Holiday Party

JERRY PATE WILLIAMS
Jerry Pate Williams

NIGHT EMBERS
Night Embers

APRICOT CREAM TRUFFLE
Apricot Cream Truffle

MOSES' FIRE
Moses' Fire

PEACH MAGNOLIA
Peach Magnolia

NOID
NOID double

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A collection of doubles (photos)

A very pretty collection, Celeste. I don't think I have any doubles, although I am sure I will eventually break down and add a couple..for variety, as you said.

I especially liked Scatterbrain and Holiday Party.

Too bad you couldn't just teleport down here. You could give me moral support while the seemingly unending clean up continues.
It has been a beautiful day, and I spent 5 1/2 hours weeding, and mulching plus planting a few pansy clumps I got for $1 each at Lowes. Gotta have somewhere to hide Easter Eggs for the grandkids.
kay

o

wow, Celeste.They are all just so pretty.I especiaslly like the first two and the last one the best and that purple one, night Embers? I think it was.Thank you for posting these beauties, i have 2 or 3 is all I have.and at the minute, cant think of THEIR names.

jean

o

• Posted by maryl Z7 Okla. (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 9, 13 at 11:48

There are two forms of doubles: Hose in Hose and Peony shaped. I'm partial to Peony shaped myself (as one detractor described them, "those daylilies with a waddd up kleenex in the middle"-lol). You have an excellent selection and even though Zada Mae looks to be a hose in hose to me, I am in love with that warm creamy yellow. Holiday Party is a real pretty one in person(Earlybird sells it) and your picture does justice to it. I've grown Madge Cayse and it was one of the latest bloomers I had. Another nice one. I like Siloam Glory Be too. Actually, they are all pretty. Thanks for sharing them with us.........Maryl

o

• Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 9, 13 at 13:27

I have just started to get a few doubles. I see we both like Peach Magnolia. Madge Cayse is very nice, I love the color. Others I like are Night Embers and Glorious Autumn. The best one, IMHO, is King Kahuna! Thanks for posting. Marg

o

• Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 9, 13 at 13:34

OOPS! I forgot to mention that the yellow NOID is very cute! Marg

o

King Kahuna...WOW! I would love to have that beauty in my garden. Maybe it will be on Auction. Thanks for sharing! Lesley

o

I'm sold on doubles too. I started adding them 2 years ago. Could use a few more :-). Nice photos.

Julia

o

Well, that was wonderful!

I have doubles, not many, but I don't have any of the ones you showed. I can see myself getting KING KAHUNA. Also interested to see that GLORIOUS AUTUMN thrives for you - I've always wanted that one. As for the rest, I could be happy with any of them.

My very favorite double continues to be Apps's MERINGUE MIRAGE however. It's one of those daylilies that I will always always have in my garden.

Oh, and I do love those Kropfs!

o

I love doubles,I only have one Affair D'Amour.
But I do have lots of double cross seeds(planting this spring) and seedlings.

Thank you for sharing.

o

I love them but don't have very many. It seems I keep buying them but some don't do all that well. Condilla always doubles and is very nice

o

While it is not a fast spreader, I have grown very attached to Tropic Embers-it has had three sets of blooms for the last two years!

o

Wow I have never seen Tropic Embers before. It is beautiful and now I must run along and see if I can buy it! thanks alot LOL

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Daylily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here