Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
avedon_gw

To Midlife-isis RE: your message to me

avedon_gw
11 years ago

Hi, I can only contact you this way. I live in northeast Texas and though we both may be Zone 8a, our climates could be very different, Do you live on the "wet" side of Oregon or the "dry" side? The hottest it has ever been here at our house is 102 degrees and that was in August of 2000. We have dropped to 10 degrees at least twice that I know of and that was 2010. Rust first appeared in our garden--that I know of--last year. We did not do anything, just waited for this year and now the daylilies have been sprayed twice--once with Daconil for the rust and another time with an insecticide for aphids and thrips. Next week, weather permitting, the daylilies will be sprayed again with Daconil. All new daylilies arriving shortly will be inspected, soaked in bleach solution and then sprayed with Daconil once planted in the ground. We hope this will at least stave off any type of rust, but if not, we will switch to another type of funicide and also do a systemic, and hope that puts an end to it. Now, if you are growing daylilies and they have never had rust, you may be just fine. If you bring new daylilies in from other places, this may be where problems could arise. I think our rust originated from some passalong plants. At that time, I knew nothing about rust, just what I had read on the Forum, but somehow I wasn't paying attention to the fact that rust could be so easily passed along from plant to plant. I was considering not buying any daylilies this year, but I was weak, and now we have 25 on order. I have ordered from some northern growers and hope that their cold winters will kill any possible rust, but there are a couple coming in from the south. These growers usually say that they maintain a spray program for rust, but no guarantees that their plants are rust free. We will just have to hope that there will be no rust on these plants. A number of Forum members seem to have been dealing with rust every year, and perhaps they will give you good information about how they handle rust. Avedon