Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tarheel336

2 4 D in daylily beds

Boyd Banks
12 years ago

I have been reading you can spray 2 4 D in daylily beds without harming them because they are in the grass and corn families.Does anyone know for sure if it is true.It would save a lot of back breaking work if it is.

Comments (10)

• kydaylilylady
    12 years ago

Yes, I have sprayed this on my daylilies. It's not for the faint hearted. Early in the spring it will make the foliage somewhat twist sideways and will scare you to death that you've done something very, very wrong. In about 2-3 weeks they grow out of it and you can't tell there was anything different about them.

DO NOT spray when the plants are forming scapes. If you do they will twist and corkscrew.

I also wouldn't spray around any plant that is stressed. Don't know that it would hurt it but if the plant is already stressed why stress it more.

I use 1 ounce per gallon of water. I also use some detergent as a surfactant if I don't have any. DO NOT use Dawn bacterial liquid. I've heard the outcome is not good.

Also--BE CAREFUL of spray drift. That's part of the reason you'll want a surfactant. This spray I don't think is as volutile as it used to be but you don't want to spray and find out you've killed something 4-5 ft. or more downwind from where you're spraying.

Hope I haven't scared you to death but I want to make you aware of the possibilities if you choose to use it.

• initium2012
    8 years ago

2,4D is good for day lilies but it is best to spray them in the spring time when there are 3 inches tall or less. They curl up a bit up a little bit from the 240 but they were recover very quickly. I've been using this method for years, it kills out all the weeds and 24D is excellent at preventing any weed or grass seed from sprouting. So you can have a nice year of no weeds and your dailies. However again only spray the beds in the spring when weeds first or to appear , And absolutely don't spray the 240 on Lilly beds if the daylilies are over 2 to 3 inches tall. If you do you may have a serious problem with stunting the Lilly's.

• flowergirl70ks
    8 years ago

I am absolutely stunned, we use 24D around here mixed with diesel fuel to kill bindweed. I may be wrong, but wasn't this the culprit in the book Silent Spring.

• mantis__oh
    8 years ago

DDT was the insecticide condemned in "Silent Spring." One of the two chemicals in Agent Orange was 2-4-D. An herbicide such as this usually needs warmer weather to work most effectively; unfortunately, by that time, the daylilies may be too high. I know this has been used by some growers. But I would hope that most home gardeners would not contribute to chemical accumulation. Also, some weeds, such as violets, are hard to kill; and grasses, of course, are not affected. I would limit use to a particularly bad area rather than blanket the garden.

• organic_kitten
    8 years ago

I use it on the infestation of violets, but would never use it on my daylilies.

• flowergirl70ks
    8 years ago

Actually, I am more intereested on finding something to kill Stars of Bethlehem

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    8 years ago

"24D is excellent at preventing any weed or grass seed from sprouting."

This is absolutely incorrect. Perhaps if you kill weeds before they release their seeds, you will see fewer seedlings later in the season. But to do this you need a "pre-emergent" germinating inhibitor like oryzalin.

• DaveinVA (7a)
    8 years ago

24D is an herbicide that kills broad-leaf plants DURING THEIR GROWING SEASON. Why it would be used in the spring I do not understand, and why it would be sprayed on daylilies, for any reason, is beyond my comprehension, given that it is designed to kill them!. I believe the notion that this is somehow good for daylilies is a total misunderstanding.

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    8 years ago

There are winter weeds like Lamium that can grow in daylily beds. Spraying in spring would kill them before they set seeds. But as others have noted, phenoxy growth regulators can still cause growth deformation in monocots (and some formulations can kill *some* monocots...3-way does a very good job of killing wild Alliums) so I would only use this approach as a last resort.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting