Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
organic_kitten

OT Qults I Made for Christmas Gifts

organic_kitten
11 years ago

You may remember I started making some quilts for the first time last spring, and got the wonderful new Ber...a Sewing machine.

I wound up making quilts for the great grand daughters, and thought you might like to see them, so here goes.

This one was for the 6 year old. She is a princess type. I wanted to do more quilting on the border, but her mother wanted to take it on with her.

{{gwi:679898}}

This one was for the 3 year old. She is a cute little bundle of mischief who loves ladybugs, so I designed the 35 appliqued blocks with LBs, flowers, butterflies and birds. I will post a few block close-ups for you.

{{gwi:679900}}

Hummingbird:

{{gwi:679902}}

Ladybugs (this is the center block)

{{gwi:679905}}

Fantasy Butterfly (used the fabric the alternating blocks have in them for colors)

{{gwi:679907}}

and Monarch Butterfly: I bought a book of Butterfly patterns, and designed and drew then pieced embroidered a host plant :

{{gwi:679909}}

Hope you enjoyed them,

kay

Comments (9)

• jean_ar
    11 years ago

I Did injoy them kay, Very much.I have done all kinds of craft things and sewing clothes for my children and the grandkids, too, but, have never attempted a quilt and have had no desire to make any.I did crocet some large afghans for my girls and one as a gift for a friend, but, never a quilt.You certainly have made some very pretty ones and I bet the grandkids will cherish them forever.They are gorgeous, and soo much work involved in making them,I know...

Jean

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks so much, Jean. The funny thing was that I really enjoyed it. I was almost sad when I designed and finished the last block of the ladybug quilt.
    kay

• Nancy
    11 years ago

Beautiful! And you just started quilting last spring? I'm in total awe!

• Nancy Barginear
    11 years ago

Those are awesome, Kay. I'm sure they will be treasured as heirlooms. I started a butterfly quilt -- maybe over 20 years ago, and never have finished it. You did really well!

Nancy

• jean_ar
    11 years ago

Well, I forgot I DID make a quilted bedspread for my DH's bed many years ago.We had twin beds after a few years.(Only way I ever got any sleep) was to have twin beds.he turned and twisted and snored all night aand I never got any sleeep, until we got the twin beds, then I made a quilted bedspread for his bed, with ducks, geese and deer on quilted blocks, with a bed skirt around it.It turned out so pretty and he loved it.It got destroyed when our house caught fire in 2000.

Jean

• Julia WV (6b)
    11 years ago

You are very talented. Love the colors.

Julia

• celeste/NH
    11 years ago

Kay, those quilts are stunning!!!! WOW. As someone who doesn't sew I am astounded at your talent. (I do paint, though, or I should say 'used to' before I started taking care of Mom & the grandbabies...so I know how much they are a work of 'heart'). I would kill to have that ladybug and bird quilt as that quilt is representative of all the things I love. Your family is so lucky to have you and your talent and these cherished heirlooms. Can I adopt you as a family member? LOL

Celeste

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi ngraham, thanks you so much. I just started quilting last January, but I have sewn for years.

Nancy, the new sewing machine made the quilting so much more fun. ..and much easier.

Jean, you shouldn't forget a quilt!

Thanks Julia, the pink and green fairy quilt went through several greens before I was happy...which mean I have a nice supply of green in my stash.

Celeste, the artist in you shows in your garden. I, too, have painted, and always loved to draw, so the blocks in the ladybug quilt were a lot of fun to design. I hope the little one who got it loves it, since she loves ladybugs, it's a good bet that she will.

I am in the process of designing and quilting an owl quilt which my Daughter-in-law is law has called dibs on, but I am making it for a grand-daughter, so being in the family is no guarantee of getting the one you want. It is much more involved that the ladybug quilt, and I doubt I have it in me to make two of them.

kay

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    11 years ago

I barely have the patience to hem a pair of pants let alone a quilt. You have my admiration. Our locat cat rescue organization has a big ta-do around Valentine's day called: My Furry Valentine, and for the last 3 or 4 years they have raffled off a quilt made by a volunteer with cat cut outs on it as the theme. It's one of the hits of the event. Quilts are such a valuable resource for rememberance, or for charity. Yours will be treasured long after you go to the great quiliting bee in the sky....Maryl

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville