Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newyorkrita

Backyard Daylily beds

newyorkrita
12 years ago

{{gwi:680062}}

The big bed in the middle of the backyard shows the daylilies starting to grow thru the mulch. The tall bearded Iris are growing in thier middle section, the dutch iris are up and tulips are growing. A row of MARIA daffs are blooming along a pathway thru the bed.

{{gwi:680064}}

Better to see parts of the bed.

{{gwi:680066}}

Another view.

{{gwi:8034}}

Closeup of MARIA daffs.

{{gwi:680068}}

Tulips in the backyard bed along the edge. Not showing buds yet but they sure are growing well.

{{gwi:8038}}

Way in the back of that first picture one can see the daffodils blooming in front of the servoceberry shrubs. Two more rows of daffs there are just coming up now. Of course in front of all those daffs are rows of daylilies.

{{gwi:680074}}

Serviceberry row again.

Comments (9)

• Cindy zone 6a
    12 years ago

Wow, things are growing fast!! Love the Maria Daffodils.
    Your tulips look good too. Mine are flopping all over, our temps have been in the low 80s, and I think it is just too hot for them.
    Cindy

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    12 years ago

My tulips should be getting buds soon.

• floota
    12 years ago

Looks great! Isn't spring a wonderful season with everything in the garden waking up?
    Thanks for sharing your pictures. Keep them coming!

• organic_kitten
    12 years ago

Looks like they are coming along. I have the first bloom spikes on iris.

kay

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Iris already? No iris bloom here, not even dutch iris buds yet. Tulips not even showing buds yet. Not all the daffs have opened up yet either.

Some of the daylilies are up and strongly growing you can see them in the sea of mulch. Others are just getting going now.

• jean_ar
    12 years ago

Your daffs are looking real pretty, RITA. I will be glad when your tulips are blooming again. They were soo pretty last spring.Everything is looking very green now.

Jean

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    12 years ago

No buds on the tulips yet but the daffs this year are just fabulous.

• celeste/NH
    12 years ago

Your method of mulching with whole leaves has me willing to try that in some of my gardens this year. Every year hubby and I kill ourselves ridding our many gardens of all the leaves, which with all the trees & surrounding woods is a monumental chore. We do shred most of them up for mulch and will probably still do that for the more prominent gardens, but I am thinking in my old roses garden I will just let the leaves stay where they are. I can see for myself that it works fine for you! You have such beautiful flowers. I was concerned that water wouldn't penetrate the ground as well if there are whole leaves, which is why I shred them.
    It is great to see spring flowers and I appreciate your sharing them with all of us.

Celeste

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Celeste, I have never chopped up the leaves. And its not leaves that just fall on the gardens. I go and get the leaves, as many as I can manage and then I just put them in all the gardens. I have no trouble with rain not getting thru, my soil is nice and damp.

This fall I did go extra crazy and put on a thicker layer than ever before. I will not have to mulch this entire summer because of that. It will definately last till fall and beyond. But I didn't do the southside rose garden or Floribundaville in the front yard so might be buying straw bales to use as mulch there.

The daylilies just pop thru in the spring as they start growing. Sometimes I have to uncover a plant or two were the mulch has blown over the daylily. You can really see this if you look very carewfully at the very last picture. You can see some daylilies growing well and then in the middle almost nothing. But look carefully and you see the green shots of the daylilies I moved the mulch off of.