Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
celestialrose_nh

The really DARK ones (lots of pics)

celeste/NH
11 years ago

I guess because it's March & there's so much snow on the ground and it's been cloudy lately that my search through my files led me to the darkest daylilies I grow. I never had time last summer to share these so here they are. Warning: there are a LOT of pictures!

Celeste

NIGHT EMBERS
{{gwi:680234}}

SIR MODRED

{{gwi:680236}}
and again......
{{gwi:680239}}

PURPLE GRASSHOPPER
{{gwi:680242}}

CAVIAR
{{gwi:680244}}
CAVIAR, clump shot
{{gwi:680256}}

INCREASED COMPLEXITY
{{gwi:680258}}

RASPBERRY SUEDE
{{gwi:680260}}
Raspberry Suede, again
{{gwi:680262}}

ALASKAN MIDNIGHT
{{gwi:680264}}

BLACK FALCON RITUAL
{{gwi:680266}}

LAURA HARWOOD
{{gwi:680268}}

GRATEFUL HEART
{{gwi:680270}}

INCENDIARY
{{gwi:680272}}

BLUEBERRY MUFFIN
{{gwi:680274}}

AMERICAN REVOLUTION
{{gwi:680277}}

CREATURE OF THE NIGHT
{{gwi:680281}}

JAY FARQUHAR
{{gwi:680286}}

MERLIN'S MOTH
{{gwi:680288}}

NORDIC NIGHT
{{gwi:680290}}

CATHERINE NEAL
{{gwi:680292}}

SHUFFLE THE DECK
{{gwi:680294}}

STORM TRACK
{{gwi:680296}}

BERRY CHEESECAKE
{{gwi:680297}}

SILOAM PLUM TREE
{{gwi:680298}}

ROCKY HORROR
{{gwi:680299}}

SCARLET PIMPERNEL
{{gwi:680300}}

PERSIAN RUBY
{{gwi:680301}}

I can't find Bela Lugosi's pics but everybody knows that one is dark. Hope you enjoyed the show.

This post was edited by celestialrose on Sun, Mar 3, 13 at 21:00

Comments (17)

• jean_ar
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Oh yes, yes, I did injoy them very much. I love these dark ones. Sir Modrad is gorgeous, and RASBERRY SUEDE I have never seen before but I love that green throat, kind of a yellow green on my monitor and LAURA HARWOOD has always been a beauty and CATHRINE NEAL i believe is a oldie but, so beautiful.You certain;y have some beauties.I love them all, and thank you so much for the show.I cant hardly wait for spring and new blooms to see.

Jean

• marricgardens
    11 years ago

Raspberry Suede looks so velvety I can almost feel it and I love that clear green throat! I'm really liking the spiders and unusual forms more and more, Alaskan Midnight and Shuffle the Deck are awesome. Others I like are Jay Farquhar and Nordic Night. Berry Cheesecake is really nice to. Thanks for posting. Marg

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    11 years ago

What a bevy of dark beauties you have. Raspberry suede is like plush velvet and Laura Harwood always looks good. The clump shot of Catherine Neal puts it into the oldie but goldie class and what a pretty picture of Shuffle the Deck. Nice to see these great pictures.....Maryl

• organic_kitten
    11 years ago

good grief, Christine, that's an awful lot of dark ones. I think Laura Harwood is my very favorite, but there are a lot of dark beauties. Shuffle the Deck is gorgeous too.
    kay

• illinoisdoglover
    11 years ago

Beautiful selection of dark daylilies. Just sent you an e-mail. We are suffering a snow storm currently, about 6 inches so far. So looking forward to spring.

• sophies
    11 years ago

Thanks for the pictures. With 2 feet of snow in my yard and more coming tomorrow it is so nice to see them.

• lynxe
    11 years ago

I first saw RASPBERRY SUEDE in a nearby garden several years ago, and I promptly ordered it from the owner. The blooms are indeed just as velvety as they look. Not as dark as some daylilies though (at least, not here) - but it's that wonderful and impossible-to-photograph velvety sheen that I love the most.

I can't recall whether it's a daylily with the added attraction of dark buds. I might be confusing it with BLACK AMETHYST, which I also saw in that garden, and which does have dark buds. FYI if you look up BLACK AMETHYST in the AHS database, you'll see that Menges is listed as the hybridizer. Gayle Menges subsequently married I believe, and is now Gayle Story. You can see her daylilies, including BLACK AMETHYST, on the Daylily Hybridizers Corner. (Very embarrassing, but I can't recall whether I also bought BLACK AMETHYST!)

MERLIN'S MOTH is newer to me, but I already really love it. On certain mornings last summer, the blooms looked black - not maroon, not black-red, but black. Afternoons are a very different matter, as are very hot and very sunny days - the underlying reddish tones predominate.

A dark one that I also like is BLACK ARMADILLO, from Kemberly Roberts. Jamie Gossard's VAMPIRE BAT looks very dark in my garden. CORONATION DAY (Karol Emmerich) is also very dark.

I think I have too many light-colored daylilies, but I've gotten so many ideas here for rectifying that. Anyone else want to suggest some dark daylilies?

• Julia WV (6b)
    11 years ago

We are so lucky being in the north as the darks really hold their color longer except when we hit 100 F.

Nice photos.

Julia

• celeste/NH
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you for the nice comments on my photos!
    There doesn't seem to be many checking in this time of year and I can't wait for those of you in the warm climates to start posting new pictures.

illinoisdoglover....I didn't receive an email so could you try again? Sometimes GW is tempermental. I wouldn't want you to think I was ignoring you.

Celeste

• Cindy zone 6a
    11 years ago

I certainly did enjoy the show!! So many nice dark ones. I do love them all!! Several I hadn't seen before.
    Cindy

• flowergirl929
    11 years ago

Oh how beautiful! I loved seeing all of the dark beauties. You did a great job getting such good pictures of them. Thanks, and like Cindy said there were some that I had never seen before either. Awsome

• Mikhail-A
    11 years ago

Hi, Mikhail,Moscow,Russia
    My next photo dark daylilies :

ANA MARIA MARGETTS (Peat 2004)

This post was edited by Mikhail-A on Sat, Mar 23, 13 at 14:51

• Mikhail-A
    11 years ago

BLACK LAPIS (Morss 2005)

• Mikhail-A
    11 years ago

JUNE WILLIAMS MEMORIAL (Kinnebrew 2009)
    video clip : http://www.moscow-daylilies.ru/show.php?video&id=zvb7h3fmk0.2312

• Mikhail-A
    11 years ago
  • Mikhail-A
    11 years ago

NIGHT FLYER (Benz 2007)

• Mikhail-A
    11 years ago

UNA SEMANA CON JUAN (Peat 2006)

Sponsored