Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
natalie4b

Nearly black daylilies

natalie4b
12 years ago

I think the nearly black and deep purple daylilies make such a statement in a garden. Especially the tall ones. Would love to add some to my garden.

Which ones are your favorite?

~Natalie

Comments (20)

• lisa_3
    12 years ago

While only 30"-I like Smith Brothers for a near black-it's the darkest I own.
    {{gwi:680675}}

• sann777
    12 years ago

I was looking thru Early Bird Daylilies pictures. She seemed to have a lot of black daylilies and they seemed to have great prices. I don't have too many dark ones. I am hooked on the pink and peach colors. Sarah

• tepelus
    12 years ago

My darkest daylily is "Midnight Magic". In the morning it does look nearly black but when it opens more and the light shines on it it takes on a velvety deep red.

Sun shining on it

{{gwi:666419}}

Opening in the morning

{{gwi:680678}}

Karen

• natalie4b
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Stunning! I MUST have them all! :)
    ~Natalie

• beachlily z9a
    12 years ago

When I lived in Marietta, I could grow all three types of daylilies. There are some very hard dormants that won't grow, but the majority will. Good luck!

• tepelus
    12 years ago

Another favorite of mine, though not as black as "Midnight Magic", is "Creature of The Night".

{{gwi:662438}}

Then one of MM's children, "Dracula"

{{gwi:664338}}

Karen

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    12 years ago

I don't like black roses so I thought I wouldn't like black daylilies but I took a peek anyway. I was wrong. Creature of the night in particular with its white mid rib is especially eye appealing. Hope we see more.....Maryl

• Cindy zone 6a
    12 years ago

I have some of the darker daylilies. I planted white daylilies among the dark ones, hoping for a good look with the contrast. This black and white bed is on it's third year, so hopefully it will fill out. I spent some time looking for Dakar, it seemed to be pretty dark. Didn't get it though!
    The dark ones I grow here are;
    Smoking Gun
    BuckyBalls
    Cinderella's Dark Side
    Duck's Dark Side
    Brookwood Black Kitten
    Caribbean Frank League
    Midnight Magic
    Smith Brothers
    Night Wings
    Jungle Beauty
    Bamboo Blackie
    Not sure any of them are particularly tall, but Smith Brothers and Caribbean Frank League seem to be the darkest and tallest.
    This is Smoking Gun
    {{gwi:680679}}
    This is Cinderella's Dark Side, tall, but a smaller flower.
    {{gwi:662457}}
    Bamboo Blackie
    {{gwi:665685}}
    Brookwood Black Kitten
    {{gwi:680681}}
    Jungle Beauty
    {{gwi:680683}}
    A few of the dark ones, I think the dark one with four blooms is Caribbean Frank League
    {{gwi:680685}}
    Cindy

• jean_ar
    12 years ago

wow,I love these black daylilies. They are all gorgeous, every one of them.

Jean

• mssunflower
    12 years ago

I want "Creature of the Night"!!!!! That is so stunning.

Ms. Faith

• Nancy
    12 years ago

I don't think Bela Lugosi is the darkest one out there, but it is one of the best, I think
    {{gwi:680687}}

Black Plush is great
    {{gwi:680688}}

Evening Enchantment isn't quite as large as Bela Lugosi, but I like the slight ruffle
    {{gwi:659811}}

Nordic Night isn't as dark as Bela even, but it really is lovely with its lighter eye
    {{gwi:680689}}

I think Tuscawilla Blackout is my darkest daylily, but it doesn't look it in this photo
    {{gwi:680690}}

• natalie4b
    Original Author
    12 years ago

OMG! I am in love!!!

• natalie4b
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Just ordered Jungle Beauty, Salieri, Midnight Magic, and Dominic from Oakes Daylilies. So happy!!!

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    12 years ago

Just out of curiosity, are there any of these posted that are NOT colorfast? I know Bela is supposed to be, but I wonder if those really dark colors last until the evening....Maryl

• lynxe
    12 years ago

I must add these suggestions: GUNS OF NAVARRONE and BAUGHSTON HORNSWAGGLER. The latter, described in the AHS database as a "purple with faint red eye" is very dark in my garden; in fact, it towers over everything else planted near it as a dark purple UF presence. And GUNS? OMG what a stunner.

I also really like SINNERS ANONYMOUS, a 36" black violet self. New to the garden as of last year, so still settling in are BLACK ARMADILLO (45") and NO EXPIRATION DATE (31"), both by Kemberley Roberts.

• natalie4b
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I am in a Daylily Heaven!!! Spent a small fortune on them (well, big fortune really), and made a huge new flowerbed today just for Daylilies.
    Thank goodness my husband is "my-obsession-friendly". Otherwise I would add to statistics of divorced women.
    Welcome Spring!

• cmzidlicky
    5 years ago

Night Wings is one of my favorites!

• dick_in_ohio
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Mascara Snake - tall, dark, and handsome

Larry's Obsession - my darkest - 24-30 inches tall - the registration picture is not a good representation of it.

• signet_gw(6b)
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I think this first one is close to the darkest/blackest daylily I grow .

How about Africa

or Workhorse
    Chief Blackhand
    Playing with Sharks

or Mahogany Magic

or Tupac Amaru
    and Egg[;amt Electricity
    Willow

and then there is Persian Ruby

Hope you find some of these interesting

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!