Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lorelai_gw

My New Daylilies & Companion Planting Question

Lorelai
11 years ago

Hi everyone! I've been registered here for awhile but haven't posted much or at all. I'm an amateur gardener and am very new to daylilies (well, to everything flowers, really). We recently moved onto five acres, and I've been bringing back the garden space next to the road (it's by the front of our driveway also. I found someone locally who was separating her daylilies, and I now have a plant each of Stella d'oro, Jungle Princess, Going Bananas, and Double Orange (I don't know if there's a more specific name for that one). Anyone have any of these? How do you like them?

I also have some Dutch Purple Iris, a Crocosmia, and some little "wildcard" bulbs I uncovered while cleaning out the garden bed. I'm hoping for a nice presentation throughout the season, and so I'm wondering what you all like to plant under and around your daylilies? My area gets full sun for the first half of the day, and then partial shade after that. I like the idea of perennials, but I think adding some established annuals could bring color to my garden bed a little sooner and help tide me over until my other plants establish themselves. Any suggestions? :)

Comments (10)

• dementieva
    11 years ago

Yeah, some annuals will get you more color more quickly. The new perennials often need a year or three to get their best show going. The good news is if you don't like the way things look, you can always move the plants around from year to year (and if you do it with a good clump of dirt around the roots in the mild part of the year, the plants won't even know they were moved).

Nate

• organic_kitten
    11 years ago

I agree with Nate. My garden is always changing. I am going to try some new perennials from California this year along with a few locally acquired ones.

Make sure the roots or tubers on the "double orange" are consistent with the others, because you don't want the "ditch" lilies to invade your garden.

Good luck, and keep posting.
    kay

• Lorelai
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The lady I got these from had beautiful gardens that she'd quite obviously dedicated a lot of time towards, so I'm not too worried about getting a weed, which is what I understand ditch lilies to be. Do you all have any specific suggestions for good companion plants to give some variety and interest to the garden bed?

• darobi2459
    11 years ago

I like daiseys, but I also have catmint and salvia by mine to give a contrast to flower form and leaf form. heuchuras for color is nice too :)

• marricgardens
    11 years ago

This year I'm planting some Echinacea with mine. Right now I have liatris and catmint and some blue annuals that I plant each year! I like blues with my daylilies. Heucheras also look nice because of he colorful foliage. I believe there was a long thread on this forum about companion plants. Just type companion plants into the search. Marg

• organic_kitten
    11 years ago

I second catmint and salvia, but with the little warning that if you have cats around, they love to roll in the catmint; they tend to like the dayllily foliage too, unfortunately. I also like daisies, and since you are in a similar zone to mine, you might like to edge with some of the wax begonias. Portulaca is another good low mounding plant, and foxgloves are good background for summer.

If you haven't already, take a look at some of the archieved entries in Floota's blog and look at Julias old posts. And be sure to look at Celeste's Pictures They are beautiful, but her zone is very different, however you will still get ideas. And Cindy, who also has a blog. Her garden is a dream.

You are going to have such a good time, and remember, any garden is a work in progress.

kay

• darobi2459
    11 years ago

Any ideas for shrubs? Im thinking of planting Black Lace Elderberry.

• marricgardens
    11 years ago

I have a black lace elder but it's very windy here and it is not doing to well. I've heard that the Black lace gets better color in full sun so maybe I'll move it. Golden elder does very well in my hosta garden and so do hydrangeas. I know it's not a shrub but I did plant some soloman's seal there to add some height and different foliage.

• darobi2459
    11 years ago

Ive heard that too. Kind of like the wine and roses.

• monarda_gw
    11 years ago

I believe blue veronicas and white echinaceas look very nice with daylilies, especially the creamy white ones.