Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
organic_kitten

Evolving Plant show

organic_kitten
10 years ago

The smaller snowball bushes are blooming now, and you can see the big Chinese snowballs behind them.

{{gwi:683423}}

The China roses are pretty much in full swing now this is Louis Philipe:

{{gwi:683424}}

The iris are still blooming...I'll post a couple pictures of them later today. Here's Octoberfest:

{{gwi:683425}}

It shouldn't be too long before the Main Show starts: Fernstone

{{gwi:683426}}

kay

Comments (16)

• houstmag
    10 years ago

Gorgeous Snowball bushes, I'd love to be sitting on that bench with a good book and a glass of wine.
    Linda

• Julia WV (6b)
    10 years ago

I've got my wine glass ready for the show LOL. Lovely snowball bushes and I like the color of the iris.

Julia

• shive
    10 years ago

I do love the way your snowball bushes look with that bench, and that's a scrumptious color on the iris! I can't believe you already have a scape with buds that big. I don't have any signs of any scapes yet. Last year my daylilies were 2-3 weeks early. It looks like they's be 2-3 weeks late this time around.

Debra

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi everybody. Thank you so much for all the kind compliments about my bench. Linda and Julia, I often sit on that bench drinking lemonade, usually when I am breaking from working in the garden, but occasionally just read or to watch the birds and butterflies.

I wanted the bench to be in the midst of flowers. There are a few daylilies in front of it now, I usually plant some tulips there, The main rose garden is directly across from it, and there is a big hydrangea, not in bloom at the moment, directly behind it. It has bright blue blooms most of the summer. There is one bed of iris cater-cornered off to the right and across from it, and a good many butterfly/hummingbird plans around.

Debra, The iris are in full bloom now. That daylily and and Colorado Moonfire are the only two close to blooming. A few others are just starting to put up spikes. I had a good many blooms by this time last year too. This crazy weather is messing everything up. We are supposed to have a freeze the first week in May. If so, it will be the first one on record. Ah well. All we can do is talk about it.

kay

• newyorkrita
    10 years ago

Hurray for the daylily scapes. Meantime all the other flowers make for a lovely garden.

• Cindy zone 6a
    10 years ago

I do like the iris. Nice evolving show. It's what I like best about gardening!!Always something to look forward to, while you can enjoy what is blooming
    cindy

• mantis__oh
    10 years ago

I too think that things are about two weeks late here this year. But that could change if the weather turns fiercely hot. Are you late too, Kay? Very relaxing backdrop to your garden.

• gardenofeden777
    10 years ago

I love those snowball bushes Kay! The picture with the bench is just so serene looking. Definitely inviting. Beautiful gardens!
    Hope you don't get a frost.

Rena'

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks all,
    The iris are really blooming now, Rita, so I hope the daylilies continue to delay a few days anyway.
    You are right Cindy. Even things like the yarrow, which has lots of blooms ready to open, add to the anticipation of the changing landscape. Mantis, I am late on everything this year. You all know this is the winter that won't go away, I guess. Every time the temps reach normal, we get another cool spell. One good thing. My dutch iris have never looked good this long before...even with the China roses blooming, they still look good.

{{gwi:683427}}

Rena, I do enjoy the bench...just not often enough. I surely hope no frost is coming. I've got lilies ready to bloom! Previous light frosts have dealt them some trouble.

kay

• jean_ar
    10 years ago

THOSE snowball bushes and tree is gorgeous.and the rose is so pretty, too,and the iris bloom as well.

Jean

• FlowerGardener
    10 years ago

Your snowball bush is beautiful, is it a viburnim? That iris certainly is eye catching.

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Jean, I was wondering where you were. You are right, flowergardener. Both of the snowball bushes are viburnums, just different varieties.
    kay

• jean_ar
    10 years ago

THANKS kAY.I been here just taking it slow and easy.Every time I put in a good afternoon in the yard, then the next few days,I cant do much of anything..Its just all I can do to go out in the yard and check all my plants to make sure they have anough water.The body hurts so bad, till I just have to do nothing for a couple days.I worked in the yard for almost 3 days cutting down the rose bush on my fence.it had a lot of dead canes in it,and I started out trying to just cut the dead canes out, but it looked so scraggly after I done that, till I just kept cutting on it, till it was all down. I didn't know the thing was going to take over the entire fence when I put a cutting in the ground there, but that cutting grew and grew and grew..I got caught ine the thing at least a dozen times while cutting on it, so part of me looks like I was in a cat fight.I cut it all out, then I see about 6 to 8 little ones coming up too, so, I bet before summer is over my fence will be covered again with it..,Today while out checking my plants, I found one daylily,Kecia has 6 scapes on it with buds, 2 scapes on night Rhythms, and a couple scapes on another one I didn't look for the its name,and have a scape on a iris too.. so I AM going to have blooms.I was afraid I wasn't going to have any, since I had daylilies blooming last year in april.not this year, going to be later.

jean

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jean, I am at least two weeks behind last year with daylily blooms, maybe three. I can relate. I am having a lot of pain in my right arm and shoulder after working. In fact, the pain is there regardless. But I am not having nearly the problems you are. I still have a good bit of one bed to weed and mulch. I hope to have it finished today. But the mulching needs to be reinforced on the main daylilies, and there is always some weeding to do everywhere as the weeds poke their hateful little heads up.

Ah well, it keeps me out of trouble. I posted on the Cottage Garden forum yesterday, mainly iris. Got veggies in the greenhouse that I will plant it it ever warms up ad stays warm.

Take care of yourself.
    kay

• jean_ar
    10 years ago

Well,I ffinally got finished weeding bed number 3,and have 2 more to go yet.Started on one of them, but didn't get very far on it,and its started getting hot out yesterday,, summer is on us..almost....I have some zinnia's to plant in one of the beds, so need to get it done soon as possible., if only the body will co operate with me,it wouldn't take thet long to get it done.

jean

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, yes, yes. It is hot and I am sweating, so had to come in for a bit. I have a fan I will set up when I go back out. I will finish this bed today, I hope. It is the last one, but I have some catch up on some weeds that have grown back in a couple areas, but I am mulching as I go today.

Jean, we aren't as young as we used to be, but we are tough.

I will post a picture of my first daylily bloom later. Not a great bloom, but it's a start, I guess.
    kay

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH