Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
avedon_gw

Planting New Daylilies Today

avedon_gw
11 years ago

We were lucky there was only a light frost last night, and we had covered the most vulnerable of our plants, so we think there will be no damage. Yesterday, new daylilies arrived from the Jordans in SC. We now have Debary Canary, Green Rainbow, Snake In The Grass Boo, Screamcicle, and a wonderful bonus plant, Ashwood Dark Side. All the plants look good. Then, received a HUGE Isabel's Spider and bonus plant Kathryn June Wood from Wynn's in Florida. Today we are expecting a large order from Bob Selman, nine total and of course, there could be bonus plants. DH and I have a lot of digging and planting going on today. Avedon

Comments (6)

• Julia WV (6b)
    11 years ago

Nice selection. Hopefully you will have some blooms pics of these to share with us this season.
    Enjoy all the planting. Mine won't be coming till May which is fine with me. Would you believe we are having light snow flurries here today and the wind hasn't stopped in 3 days and the temps dropped to the low 40's.

Julia

• organic_kitten
    11 years ago

I am not looking these up. I do not need to order any more. What fun to be planting new ones! Can't wait to see your pics. By the way,
    Avedon, your picture of Million Bells made me just have to get it, and mine also survived the winter and is blooming! Thank you for that info. Always a joy to add a good blooming companion.
    kay

• houstmag
    10 years ago

Isn't spring wonderful. I ordered a lot this spring to. Bob Selman always sends lots of bonus plants so have fun with the planting.
    Linda

• avedon_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Real quick, everybody, just an update. I ordered nine daylilies from B. Selman and he sent SEVEN bonus plants. I could hardly believe it when I opened the box. Our planting plans had to be increased, as you can imagine.

Here is my order:

Stardust Heiress, Reforma Boulevard, Hazel Ballard, Zip Boo Bah, Childish Dream, Tribal Council, Alabama Jubilee, Uncle Henry Of Oz, and Palace Garden Beauty. These are all planted. Right now we are almost done planting the bonus plants. The only ones I am familiar with are Big Sur (hot pink) and Grey Witch ( greyish lavender). Grey Witch is very much liked by Floota. Julie Covington, President of AHS at this time. The others are Collard Dream (red) Storm Over Toledo (purple) Light Of Heaven ( cream) Moon Music (cream with yellow edge) and Abundant Ruffles (yellow).

Julia, know how frustrated you must feel with the ongoing cold weather, but maybe it will let up and turn to spring soon.

Kay, I am so happy the calibrachoa came back for you. I plant to take pictures of ours later this afternoon, plus other spring bloomers and hope to get them posted tonight.

Linda, having wonderful time looking at your photos.

Avedon

• Nancy
    10 years ago

Nice new plants! I've been wanting Snake in the grass Boo for a while, may have to order it one of these days. I have palace Garden Beauty, a wonderful plant. I have Storm over Toledo too. My complaint about it is that it is often splotchy, but you may not have the same problem farther south. Last year it was beautiful most of the time & our summer was uncharacteristically hot.
    I'll be watching for your flower pictures!

• newyorkrita
    10 years ago

Wow, you have hit the jackpot. And you must have been very busy planting. Just wait till they all bloom.