Return to the Daylily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question About Sprouting Daylily Seeds

Posted by alameda 8 - East Texas (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 1, 12 at 13:41

I found some refrigerated seeds from 2010 and put them in the hydrogen peroxide soaking solution 2-20-12. They are all a similiar cross - havent had any luck with them germinating. Other seeds from 2010 have taken a little time but have germinated and are now potted and doing well. I have changed the water periodically and discarded the seeds that were soft. Am I wasting my time with these seeds or should I continue to soak them? Should I put them back in the frige for a couple of weeks? Thanks for any advice!
Judith

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question About Sprouting Daylily Seeds

if they've been soaking for over a month, i'd say pitch them, they most likely won't germinate at this point.

o

It is up to you but I'd dump them too.

Julia

o

Based upon your question/comments, you do have interest in these seeds .... Why not experiment with them rather than just tossing them ... put them into the freezer for a day or two then thaw them out and perhaps repeat - extreme representation of 'winter' and of attempting to activate the chemistry within the seeds that controls germination protocols. Some seeds(NOT daylilies) need extreme heat and some actual freezing to facilitate germination. Germination ease or difficulty is a genetic phenomenon it seems. There is little to lose with the experiment IF you wish to save the potential within those seeds.

o

I always winter-sow my daylily seeds, and have great success :)

o

I hope you put them in a warm, dark closet. They must have absolute dark to germinate. Some just won't germinate, though, in spite of it all.

Nancy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Daylily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here