Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newyorkrita

Tulips blooming in the front yard daylily garden (pics)

newyorkrita
13 years ago

I have been waiting for the early tulips in the front yard that are planted in front of the daffodil display to get into gear blooming. Finially got some good pictures. The daffs have put out the spring show and now with the tulips, it just has so much color.

{{gwi:12222}}

The left side of my front yard.

{{gwi:12223}}

Front view. Notice the shrubs at the top are now leafed out, not like the earlier spring pictures.

{{gwi:12224}}

Here you can see the daylilies planted in front.

{{gwi:12225}}

Another view.

{{gwi:12226}}

And my favorite view of the tulip section.

{{gwi:686521}}

I didn't like this picture too much but decided to add it as it does show a good view of what is going on in this entire bed and how it all comes together. Especially you can get a good look at the daylilies at the end of the belgium block mini terraces before the daffodil section. There are a similar grouping of daylilies at the other end to mirror this end.

Then there are Tall Bearded Iris directly below the daylilies at this end and I just planted Oriental lilies in the mirror spot at the other end. If you keep going it all ends with the roses at the far end planted in a series of half round terraced planters.

The two rows of daylilies along the front stacked stone wall are the bones of this garden as far as the plants go. Then the double row of early tulips went directly in back of them. Also some of the same early tulips in between the two rows.

And lastly an empty spot going along at the middle directly below the second belgium block mini terrace. I want to add some bulbs there this fall that bloom later than the current display. I need to wait and see the bloom secquence of everything I have now in order to be able to decide what it will be.

Comments (13)

• Julia WV (6b)
    13 years ago

Very nice Rita. I like the multi color grouping of your tulips. Daffs look good too!

Julia

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Those tulips are just an early mix. So whatever colors they gave me, that's what they are. Those daffs are still going strong. The only ones that have faded flowers are the very early ones, the R Early Sensation.

• Cindy zone 6a
    13 years ago

Those are just beautiful, really nothing more pleasing to the eye, thanks for posting all the views. We are back to rain, rain, rain.
    cindy

• katlynn719
    13 years ago

Now that's what I call Spring! Great job, Rita.
    Kathy

• jean_ar
    13 years ago

Oh ME,Them Tulips are finally opening up and blooming.I see a few has not opened yet.They are so pretty there in front of the Daffs.That whole area looks soo pretty now.

Jean

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Supposed to rain here for the next few days also. Going to have to get my spring color in pictures. I hope the rain is not too bad so I can go out each day and visit my flowers.

Jean- Lots and lots of them are not open yet but at least enough are open that the bloom along in there looks good.

• sann777
    13 years ago

Pretty, Pretty, Pretty! Love it all. Sarah

• Nancy
    13 years ago

Spring has arrived there for sure, & just in time for Easter! So lovely. The flowers really glow now that the shrubs have leafed out. Gives them a nice backdrop.

• anniegolden
    13 years ago

Very beautiful. As I was looking at the photos, I made a mental note to compliment you on the color choices for the tulips, and then i read your comment that it was a mix! And I'm glad you included the last photo since it gives a good sense of the 'architecture'. How about camassia in that empty space behind the tulips? The bloom sequence would probably work out well. In my yard the late daffs and tulips are finishing up and the camassia (which happens to be behind the tulips) foliage is about a foot high and the buds (still tight) are between 1 and 6 inches tall now.

All of your hardscaping is so nice. I'm envious of your slope, it shows off the flowers so beautifully. My yard is flat, flat, flat, so the height of the plants themselves is very important. Thank you for all the pictures, I don't tire of looking at your yard, it gives me ideas and inspiration.

Christine

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Nancy- I didn't think about it until you pointed it out but the tulips really are just in time for easter. Not a big deal for me now but it brings back memories of when I was a child. My dad really loved tulips and always had some planted. My mom and I always had to stand in front of the tulip display for in our easter outfits for pictures on Easter Sunday. I have always loved tulips as long as I can remember and I am sure that it goes back to these childhood memories.

Christine- The tulips are the Scheepers Early Tulip Mix. When they started blooming this spring with the purple tulips, I was surprised to see that color. I went back to their website and checked again and sure enough, it was supposed to be a mix of hot colors like red, yellow, orange and blends but no purple or pink. But I like the purple in there, I think it looks good so I don't mind.

The terracing does make it easier to show off the plants plus I can squeeze lots more in than I ever could if I had a flat yard. I am really glad that front yard space is terraced as it shows off the bulb disply so well.

I had to look up camassia as I have never heard of it. Thanks for the suggestion but it doesn't appeal to be at all.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    12 years ago

More pictures- (new ones)

{{gwi:686523}}

{{gwi:12227}}

{{gwi:12229}}

{{gwi:12231}}

My neighbor was just in my yard retreaving her little dog that sometimes gets loose but never bothers anything. Anyway, my point is that we were talking and she was just gushing over the flowers in the yard. Not a gardener, she only knew they were pretty. So of course I am all pleased after my compliments. Then she was looking at the tulips in the back and told me it was worth while tresspassing just to see the blooms LOL!

In case anyone wonders, there is no problem with the little dog and no problem with them or the very well behaved teenaged kids getting the dog in my yard.

• organic_kitten
    12 years ago

Rita,
    All right! I absolutely love the hot colors of the tulips. Beautiful! And you know more is better. They are gorgeous and it is so cheerful; to have them all lit up and smiling in front of the daylilies. So the show is really under way now. Really looking good. Too bad about the rain coming.

We are supposed to have severe weather again tomorrow and especially Wednesday, so I had to work my little tush today. I sprayed all of my and my neighbors roses, fertilized all the daylilies, and planted the two rose bands that were in the greenhouse in gallon pots. I also sprinkled the dried blood that is supposed to discourage voles and dropped predator urine capsules in any vole holes I found. And I dug out weed and grass from the border of my rose garden. I am "whupped".

But please keep posting these gorgeous tulip pictures I adore tulips and these are beauties.
    kay

• jean_ar
    12 years ago

OH:I sure love these new tulips that has opened.Very bright and beautiful.I dont think I have ever seen any tulips thats more beautiful then these.

Jean

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting