Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
missylin_gw

specific pink daylilies- opinions:

missylin
15 years ago

These are pink daylilies I am considering. They are not all available from the same growers.Most are evergreen except for Spacecoast Sweetness. I'd like your opinions on these if you've grown them. The good, bad, and ugly, and if you could compare them. Thanks so much.

Space Coast Sweetness

Splendid Touch

Bonnie Corley

Victorian Lace=

Let Love Rejoice

china Bride

Wind Frills

Comments (18)

• i_c_dillies
    15 years ago

I grow Wind Frills and I absolutely LOVE her. It's one I wouldn't want to be without.
    Lrae

• missylin
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks so much, Lrae. I appreciate your info for the yellows and pinks.

• highjack
    15 years ago

S. SWEETNESS - gorgeous small front of the border type plant - grows like a weed here.

SPLENDID TOUCH - to me, not a true pink but a light-er lavendar.

VICTORIAN LACE - not really pink but a near white with slight pink tinge. Gorgeous and will probably win the Stout in the near future.

WIND FRILLS - to me, a pink/lavendar blend that is beautiful and relieves the eye from all bagels in the garden. The bloom sways in the wind.

I'm zone 6a and they all do great here.

Brooke

• missylin
    Original Author
    15 years ago

HI Brooke, thank you. Would Wind Frills look good with pinks, or better with purples? When you say the bloom sways in the wind, how is it different from other daylilies? I just looked at the chaart I made. Is it because the scape is so tall? How about the plant? Does it get really tall? HOw much room do I need for each Wind Frills plant? I am zone 9. Should it be okay. (I was told pinks need more light, so they are going in the back yard. How much sun do Wind Frills and Vic. need? Woudl eastern exposure do? A friend gave me dark purple ones from a nursery (not yet blooming) and I was advised by someone I bought d.l.s from 2 years ago to plant those in the front (east). If Victorian Lace does not care how much sun it gets (western or eastern) I could plant with the pinks and purples. Ok, what are bagles?? I am Jewish and have never seen them grow out of the ground. ggg Wish they would, as the ones in my area are not good.

• ladylovingdove
    15 years ago

Victorian Lace is THE best in my opinion, light creamy pink.
    Dot

{{gwi:647932}}

• bloomincrazy
    15 years ago

I vote Wind frills....love it!!

• loveofmylife680
    15 years ago

Where's Ellie she has alot of pinks?
    Jill

• gonegardening
    15 years ago

I am only familiar with

VICTORIAN LACE...beautiful, as others have already said

CHINA BRIDE...when I downsized a bit last year, this one made the cut to stay. It's been a very good (easy care) daylily for me and even puts on late rebloom some years

WIND FRILLS...has made it through some very rough treatment (including total whacking by my weedwhacker)...very different look from the other two...

CHINA BRIDE and WIND FRILLS are very inexpensive. Of course, VICTORIAN LACE is a much newer daylily. It all depends on what you like and what you are willing to spend.

• virgo45
    15 years ago

Victorian Lace is one plant I would not give up. As someone stated above I would not classify it as a pink daylily. The picture below is from my garden and it does show pink overtones, but not sufficient to call it a pink flower. This was the first flower in 2007 and it had more pink overtones than the rest of the flowers did??

{{gwi:686939}}

• highjack
    15 years ago

WIND FRILLS is more of an unusual form, long petals and sepals that move in a breeze. WF will look good where ever she is planted :>)

A bagel daylily must means it is round as opposed to an unusual form.

Daylilies need 6 hours of sun so you can pick which exposure to plant them.

VICTORIAN LACE {{gwi:686942}}

WIND FRILLS - color is a little off in this pic but you can see the shape and the movement she will give you.

{{gwi:686945}}

Your zone 9 garden should be great for any of these plants.

Brooke

• missylin
    Original Author
    15 years ago

What color would y'all call Victorian Lace? In my front bed, I am planting a border around some creeping Juniper. I am beginning in the part nearer my house with dark purple, then lighter purple, then "whites" followed by purple with yellow, followed by yellow (that's if I have enough room and money- and places that don't have too many roots. If V.L. is closer to a white I will use her in front. If she's more pinky, in the back yard. I read pinks need a lot of sun to do well. My front gets enough sun, but is east. My backyard is west. In the back I'm going to have mainly pinks with some white and some lighter purples. I don't like the look of pink and yellow together. If someoen has better suggestions for color combos let me know.

• missylin
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Ellie,
    I hear you are the expert on pink daylilies. I am in zone 9b and want evergreens (non peachy).

• katlynn719
    15 years ago

missylin, VICTORIAN LACE looks more pale yellow than pink in my garden. I have it planted between two red daylilies.
    VICTORIAN LACE
    {{gwi:686946}}
    Also, I have found that daylilies described as rose or light lavender look pink in my garden, while daylilies described as pink look peach. But this might be due to my soil. Good luck,
    Kathy

• missylin
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Kathy,
    Is this your natural soil, or do you supplement. As I read on the net, every hybridizer giving advise tells to plant in different things. Doug's daylilies makes it sound like brain surgery, all the stuff he adds to the dirt. But in Florida we MUST add to our soil. It has no nutrients. I'd like to know what to add for the nicest colors. One grower told me to add a whole bag of Walmart potting soil and a whole bag of manure for each daylily. I could not figure out how big a hole he wanted me to dig for one lily. ?? I'd like to know how everyone does plant them. As I said, at most I would use 50% Florida soil. Our soil is bad, our sun is good for daylilies. (They are the only thing, just about, that does well in the summer.)

• katlynn719
    15 years ago

missylin, I only supplement as I plant. I wish I could have added about 1 foot of topsoil to all my beds at one time, but it would have been too expensive. If I'm planting a double fan, I dig a hole about 1 foot deep and 18 inches wide. I build a mound in the center with my hands out of my natural sandy soil (for good drainage). I sit the daylily on top of the mound, spread the roots and fill the rest of the hole with a mixture of potting soil, compost, a sprinkle of slow release fertilizer and a sprinkle of bone meal. I also use mulch on top (wood chips or pine straw). I think daylilies like our sandy soil...but water and fertilizer leaches out quickly, so we have to compensate for that. BTW, I found a garden soil that I like at Walmart made by Expert. They have 2 kinds...one is for potting (too fine and mucky) and one for the garden (which I like and use for everything).
    Kathy

• mlwgardener
    15 years ago

My Wind Frills is a peachy pink and I just love her. I've only had Victorian Lace one year and it is a near white for me with very little pink. Now VL was a first year bloomer for me, so it may be pinker this year. I can't find a picture of VL(oh yes, it is one of my favorites) but I did find Wind Frills"

{{gwi:686948}}

• juliet11
    15 years ago

The only one on your list I have is China Bride and she is one of my longest bloomers. She always reblooms. She increases well too. She isn't a true pink for me though - has a hint of peach. Here's a photo from last summer:

{{gwi:650711}}

Juliet

• missylin
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you, Juliet. That is gorgeous. But something that peachy will not go with my colors. Does anyone have a suggestion for another evergreen daylily with midribs and bitone like that, but in pinky. (I am learning my terms from being on this list!)