Return to the Daylily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
More Spring Blooms

Posted by mantis__oh z6 OH (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 18, 13 at 14:45

Finally got a rain, but will need much more to make up for deficit. Eighties today and the tulips are popping. Here are some things that have been blooming:

Daffodil GIGANTIC STAR. Gone now, as it is early blooming:

GERANIUM Great oldtimer!

Isolated clump of THALIA

PASSIONALE Nice form and lasts long, but this is one whose pictures are often misleading in catalogs and on web. The cup is a quite pale apricot--nothing like the pinkish pictures. Daylilies aren't the only flowers that are notoriously mispictured, either through lighting manipulation or photoshop enhancement.

AMERICAN DREAM not that crazy about it

And some shots from the hospital garden, which I took on as a way of "expanding" my own garden--but which can be a headache, as onlookers think it their right to pick and dig up whatever they wish, and as the owners are unappreciative of the work, some of which is donated.

Banja Luka is the orange and yellow tulip:

From Apr 17, 2013

Don't know the name of this yellow tulip, but it has come back year after year. Pink and white is Ollioules.

Negrita in foreground:

I have discovered that the new editing feature has limitations. I edited my last post ("Spring Burst") in order to change the name of the daffodil Pistachio, which I now know is St. Patrick's Day. It appeared in the editing box that all the picture coding was there, but when the edited version appeared, all the pictures from Picasa were lost.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: More Spring Blooms

Here is one that shows the interior of Banja Luka. It's a bit gaudy for me, but a good display in a large garden.

o

Gorgeous, Mantis! My tulips are gone, so this is a feast for the eyes. I tend to like gaudy in tulips, and Banja Luka is DHs favorite. Of course, I do plant them in a mass along side of the road.

I really enjoyed the pictures.
kay

o

You have a wonderful variety of spring flowers! The squirrels must have eaten most of my tulip bulbs since I don't have very many this year.

Debra

o

Well, I like all the tulips and daffs. The Hospital Garden looks great.

o

80's still ? Yikes.
So unfortunate you've not had the rain but those gardens look great. You must spend hours tending to those beds. Now what blooms when the bulbs finish?
Negrita is so pretty and I googled it already to get more info. I think it may be one I'll add this fall. I did get some Pink Ollioules as well as so others and hopefully they bloom this year.

Thanks for posting the pics. Enjoyed them all.

Julia

o

I too had problems with squirrels. They actually dug up bulbs and ate them. Next at the hospital (actually an Express Care division of the hospital) will be iris, columbine, and peonies.

Here's another picture of Negrita (which although a Triumph, does often recur):

o

Lovely pictures, really enjoy looking at them. No use trying for tulips here, the deer would eat them anyway. Love the color and form of Negrita. Avedon

o

beautiful blooms.That last picture of the tulips is gorgeous.Your daffss are very pretty, too.

Jean

o

Stunning mix of colors and I so love daffs also. It is all beautiful!

Rena'

o

Love your daffs and tulips. I especially like Negrita it's my favorite color.
Linda

o

Just beautiful! I love all the colors and happiness they bring

o

Negrita is really pretty.
kay

o

My truimph tulips never come back, wish they would.

I wanted to add that daff GIGANTIC STAR is blooming at my house right now. I like it a lot.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Daylily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here