Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maryl_gw

Quick! I need answer please

Received my daylily and need to soak it in bleach solution. Can you tell me per gallon what is now the recommended tablespoons of bleach needed. I've read many different amounts, so need to be sure I don't overdo it. This is for rust prevention....Thanks in advance.....Maryl

Comments (10)

• Nancy Barginear
    10 years ago

We use 10% bleach solution and soak for 20 minutes, no longer.

Nancy

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the answer. Now if I just knew what 10% of a gallon translates into as far as a measurement device (cups, Tablespoons etc.) I'd be set. Bad math skills and/or old age brain freeze, pick what you like for my excuse.......Maryl

• dementieva
    10 years ago

10% solution generally means by weight, but the densities should be close enough that by volume will work. I'm assuming we're talking about "Household Bleach" as thought it is pure bleach.

So whatever measuring device you use, just use 1 part bleach and 9 parts water (e.g. 1 cup of bleach and 9 cups of water).

I think that's what Nancy means. Someone can correct me if not.

Nate

• brit5467
    10 years ago

I thinks so too....i.e., a 1 to 10 ratio. Since you said daylily (only one), if you needed smaller amount....then 1/4 c. bleach to 2 1/2 c. water. and so on....

• Ed
    10 years ago

I usually use 5 to 10% bleach solution to soak plants coming in or going out.
    A gallon is 128 oz. A cup is 8 oz.
    So I add 3/4 to 1 1/2 cups of bleach to a gallon of water. Be careful to pour slowly so it doesn't splash up on your arms, and wear gloves. 10% strength will burn your bare skin.
    Ed

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

May the math wizards above bless you for helping out we match challenged mortals. Ed: I'd seen a previous post of yours where you had recommended a 5% (3/4 cup per gal) solution over a 10% solution. Is that still your thoughts on the subject? And thanks for the warning on pouring the bleach. I'll be careful...........Maryl

• Ed
    10 years ago

Hi Maryl,
    Yes it is. 5% is considered germicidal and we used that strength for ever, until daylily rust occurred here in the US mainland. Then we upped the strength to disinfect plants to keep the rust from spreading. Didn't work that well.
    So I prefer not to use the stronger solution. I think it burns the roots and sets the plant back further than necessary. It's also harder on you to use it safely.
    Ed

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Ed. I didn't get your reply in time, but I decided to go with the 5% solution (3/4 cup per gallon) you had talked about in a past post . You know what I thought of after I potted them. After the bleach solution dip, should I have cleaned the bleach off with clear water? I hope not, because I didn't. It was straight from soaking in bleach water to potting. I'm just not used to dealing with rust. I swore I wouldn't, but I did end up getting a few from a more southern grower, hence my first time concern with a bleach solution........Maryl

• Ed
    10 years ago

Yes, I do a soak in plain water after the bleach soak to, in effect, rinse the bleach off. If you potted the plant up after the soak and watered it in good, then the bleach should have been rinsed away I think. Would not worry about it.
    Ed

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Ed. I'll know what to do next time (and the quantity with which to do it). I appreciate everyone coming to my aid.......Maryl

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks