Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anniegolden_gw

OT Miscellaneous gardening + daylily fortitude (Pics)

anniegolden
11 years ago

Planted lettuce and radishes.

Planted 3 more mediterranean heather.

Moved 2 hostas, one was in too much sun (Sum and Substance), one was too close to the fence and was getting crowded (blue mammoth).

Moved a volunteer fern.

Moved 3 tradescantia.

Planted 2 firepower nandina.

Moved a whole lot of iris (not bearded, not dutch, don't know what they are) - small dark purple, 12 inches, narrow foliage, they came with the house.)

Planted a crape myrtle.

Moved a bleeding heart.

Moved some monarda.

Contemplated buying Black Fathom Depths on the LA. Resisted, so far. ('So far', being the operative phrase)

So many things are about to burst forth in my yard: dogwood, azaleas, viburnum, wisteria, redbud, wood hyacinth, clematis. Oh, happy spring.

Pink azaleas

{{gwi:687934}}

Shade garden awakening - the pip parade

{{gwi:682775}}

Wisteria

{{gwi:687935}}

Christine

Comments (14)

• organic_kitten
    11 years ago

Isn't Spring wonderful?! You have been very busy. All that work! I think you deserve a reward. Black Fathom Depths is a wonderful plant. Oh go ahead, buy it. I did, and I love it. It is another photogenic virtuoso.

The azaleas are going to be gorgeous. I am currently still weeding and doing miscellaneous garden jobs. Some cardboard is going down, to be topped by mulch, in an area that is literally infiltrated with the dratted little invasive violets. And I have a flat of snapdragons to plant. I had better get busy!

kay

• anniegolden
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, Kay, a weed is in the eye of the beholder, or some such corrupted phrase. I love the dratted little invasive violets. They are all over my back yard, in the lawn, everywhere. I have white, purple and lavender ones and love them all. In my large shade garden, the foliage fills in between all the other plants by early summer almost like a ground cover. It's a very good dark green. I just yank out the ones I don't want. They don't seem to harm the other plants, but just co-exist.

Yes, I wish I had done cardboard or newspaper under the mulch in an area I planted last spring with a new drift of azaleas. The lawn and weeds are coming right up through the pine straw and I thought I was putting it on plenty thick enough.

I'm trying hard to ignore your comment about Black Fathom Depths. Just post a lot of photos of it, and I'll vicariously enjoy it in your yard.

Christine

• newyorkrita
    11 years ago

Wow, lots and lots of spring azealas. Your garden looks gopod. Spring is the absolute best!

• Julia WV (6b)
    11 years ago

Wonderful pic of your azaleas. I've always wanted a wisteria (Blue Moon) but decided on clematis instead. Pip parade indeed. What variety of hostas do you have? They are hostas, right?

Goodness, you have been busy. Slow down and enjoy your gardening time.

Julia

• avedon_gw
    11 years ago

Next week Black Fathom Depths will take up residence in our garden. I was so lucky to get it on the Lily Auction. There were those beautiful pictures that I couldn't resist, so I hope you get one, too. Really enjoyed seeing your pictures, and what a lot of hard work you have been doing--many pats on the back. Avedon

• Nancy
    11 years ago

Wonderful azaleas! I love the look of wisteria, but always hesitated, mainly because I don't have anything sturdy enough to hold one, & not sure where it would work best. I've also heard they can take years to bloom, but they are so beautiful in bloom!

• anniegolden
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all for your comments.

Julia, wisteria requires a very large sturdy support as you probably know. Mine is growing on an arbor 8' x 8' x 8', and it still wants more room. The portion of the pip parade that is sort of all-in-a-row are solomon's seal, the two clumps are hosta. In the foreground is Love Pat, background is Krosssa Regal. I have about 25 varieties of hosta including June (my favorite), Francis Williams (2nd favorite), Sagae, Sum and Substance, Blue Cadet, Blue Mammoth, Paul's Glory, Guacamole, Patriot, Gold Standard, Orange Marmelade, Golden Tiara (pretty when it first opens, but the leaves are thin and it's a mess by August), Ginko Craig, and lots of NOID's. 'Seducer' is on my wish list.

Christine

• Julia WV (6b)
    11 years ago

I have only 4 hostas here that I got last year and just transplanted them from container to garden. Sagae, Whirlwind,Blue Cadet and August Lily. I'm seeing some pips from 2 of them so far. I'm really a novice with hosta.
    I don't have alot of shade areas and just completed last fall a bed under one of the pine trees here. Hopefully they like their new location. I'm adding in some other perennials and maybe a few annuals as well but watching the sun to determine the best placements. I notice no mulch in your pics. Is that the better way, ie don't add mulch?

You have quite a collection :-).

Julia

• anniegolden
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Julia, and welcome to the hosta forum.

Sagae is a beauty, you will love it.

As for mulch, the only readily available mulch in my area is shredded hardwood. I use this in shrubbery beds, but it's no good in places that you want to dig, and it doesn't enrich the soil, but as it decomposes actually depletes the soil of nutrients, is my understanding. In any event, in my shade garden, mulch is not needed for weed control. By May, there is so much foliage that the ground is in complete shade and nothing much will germinate.

Hostas like moist, humusy soil, in my experience. If I had unlimited supply of compost, I would put down a layer of compost each early spring before anything began to emerge. In my photo, the bare dirt looks quite unloved, doesn't it? Any earthworm friendly mulch would be great for hostas.

Since you are new to hostas, I will mention that each plant takes a few seasons to crank itself up to its full potential. Especially for the large and jumbo varieties, which seems to take 3 to 5 years to show that they really are jumbo.

Oh goodness, how evident is it that I miss my gardening center job. I was the 'perennial lady' in the big white hat.

Christine

• organic_kitten
    11 years ago

Christine, are you SURE you don't need Black Fathom Depths?

{{gwi:665744}} :)

kay

• anniegolden
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Kay, now, of course, you are right. This is a more superb plant than many that are already taking up valuable limited space in my yard. But I will have to shovel prune something to make room for Black Fathom Depths, or knock down the garage. Hmmmmm..... OK, OK, the May Night salvia is outta here. It smells like cat pee and flops to boot in hot weather. (But, she wailed, I paid good US dollars for this awful May Night Salvia plant.) My daylily fortitude is weakening.

Christine

• newyorkrita
    11 years ago

Black Fathom Depths sure is a beauty!

• Julia WV (6b)
    11 years ago

LOL, I ordered BFD a few months ago because of all you enablers. I think I'm going to have to do a storyboard just to figure out who gets to "sit" next to whom BEFORE all the plants start coming in.

Christine: I appreciate the information. I've visited the hosta forum on GW and do regular searches on different topics to get some knowledge.

Julia

• anniegolden
    Original Author
    11 years ago

You two ladies are in cahoots. And you know who I am talking about.