Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stpetegardengal

Best/favorite purple daylily?

stpetegardengal
14 years ago

Hello,

I'm new to daylilies, and see that this could become a serious addiction. Could anyone recommend a dark purple one that is a special favorite?

Thanks so much!

Comments (20)

• lotodig
    14 years ago

not sure what shade of purple you are looking for but here are a few of my pavorites.

JAMIE GIRL
    {{gwi:688160}}

JENNIFER TRIMMER
    1.photobucket.com/albums/aa277/lotodig/?action=view&current=JENNIFERTRIMMER.jpg"; target="_blank">{{gwi:688162}}

LARRY ALLEN MILLER

{{gwi:688163}}

LARRY'S OBSESSION
    {{gwi:688164}}

LIEGE AND LEIF

{{gwi:688166}}

LINDA BECK...(my favorite)
    201.photobucket.com/albums/aa277/lotodig/?action=view&current=LINDABECKGROUP.jpg"; target="_blank">{{gwi:688168}}

PURPLE PEACE

{{gwi:688169}}

I have more but these are the one I linger over when I'm in the garden, I can't get enough of the beauty of them all.

Good luck and and enjoy your journey,,,,but don't go near the Lily Auction.

• farmerbell
    14 years ago

Violet Becomes you is one of my favorites. Lotodig, those are some fabulous looking daylilies. I need more purples!

• pnwjoy54
    14 years ago

My favorite dark purple is an oldie by Childs,
    JESSICA LILLIAN.
    {{gwi:688170}}
    Another favorite is LAURA HARWOOD (HARWOOD BG 1997)
    {{gwi:688171}}
    Not as dark, but another I really love is ROYAL VESTMENTS (Mahieu 2003)
    {{gwi:688172}}

• random_harvest
    14 years ago

It's hard to beat Bela Lugosi.

{{gwi:688173}}

• stpetegardengal
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, Lotodig!! Beautiful - you have ALL these?! Nice!
    re the Lily Auction ...good advice, but too late... ;-)

And thank you too, Farmerbell, and Pnwjoy and Random harvest -- it's kind of late right now, but I will look these up tomorrow on the web -- so many gorgeous purples, it will be a lovely difficult decision. :-)

Thank you again!!!

• stpetegardengal
    Original Author
    14 years ago

And thank you too, Farmerbell, and Pnwjoy and Random harvest -- it's kind of late right now, but I will look these up tomorrow on the web -- so many gorgeous purples, it will be a lovely difficult decision. :-)

Thank you again!!!

• tepelus
    14 years ago

Bela Lugosi is a nice one, and once in a while, on a cool, cloudy morning, he can look like this:

{{gwi:688174}}

Some other purples (my favorite color) I have are:

A mini Siloam Fine Art

{{gwi:688175}}

A small flower, Grape Velvet

{{gwi:688176}}

Another mini, mauve w/violet Alpine Mist

{{gwi:688177}}

More of a red-purple, Blueberry Frost

{{gwi:688178}}

Celtic Voices is a favorite too

{{gwi:650727}}

Purple Pinwheel is a cute bi-color purple

{{gwi:378567}}

And possibly my favorite of all, a dark red-purple, Creature Of The Night

{{gwi:650730}}

Yikes! Sorry about the sizes on some of these.

And now I stop with the pictures, as to not clutter up this thread with them.

Karen

• beachlily z9a
    14 years ago

In our warm FL climates, evergreens rule! I live on the barrier island south of Daytona, and out of the pictures shown above, I grow Purple Peace by Lambertson and Larry Allen Miller by Stamile. Both are great purple evergreens!

• stpetegardengal
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you again!!!

• daylilydayzed
    14 years ago

Hi Stpetegirl,
    I belong to the Tampa Bay Daylily club and I would like to invite you to our annual daylily show. It is being held at the First baptist Church of St. Petersburg at 1900 Gandy Blvd in St. Petersburg, FL. The show date is May 1st, 2010 . We also have a plant sale (daylilies only) so come on and come to it.

• blue23rose
    14 years ago

Wow! Creature of the Night is gorgeous, Karen! Don't apologize about the size. That was impressive:)

Vickie

• hosenemesis
    14 years ago

Love those big photos- I can see them without my cheaters.
    Renee

• stpetegardengal
    Original Author
    14 years ago

WoW - thanks Karen! All you guys have such gorgeous pictures - such vibrant colors! Definitely not my grandmother's daylilies. (chuckle) Thanks, beachlily. And thank you, daylilydazed! Yes, my husband and I will be there - got it on the calendar! I am really looking forward to seeing daylilies in real life!!
    And lotodig, i am having a challenge to find Larry's Obsession for sale anywhere - love the deep color - but I'll keep an eye out.
    Thanks again, everyone!!

• lotodig
    14 years ago

STPETEGARDENGIRL...look on the Lily Auction under "Daylilies starting at $20 and over"..Larry's Obsession is on the 2nd page. It really is as beautiful and you see in all the pictures. It's an 06 intro but still very popular. That just about says it all.

• beachlily z9a
    14 years ago

For a person who doesn't particularly like purple daylilies, I sure do have a bunch:

Back Scratcher (Dan Hansen, 2006) big grower
    Blue Mountains (Stamile, 2008)
    Bluethroat (Lambertson, 2005) would be happier further north
    Brer Rabbit's Baby (Ned Roberts, 2002) huge grower
    Celestial Shore (Stamile, 2007) big fans, fairly slow grower
    Hurricane Swirls (Stamile, 2006) highly recommend
    Larry Allen Miller (Stamile, 2005) beautiful!
    Laughing Skies (Stamile, 2004) have had it 5 years-top perf.
    Ledgewood's Silver Lining (Abajian, 2004) great cultivar!
    Midnight Raider (Stamile, 1996) big bloomer, grower
    Raptor Rap (Lambertson, 2001) grows very, very well
    Subtle Knife (Lambertson, 2008) excellent plant!
    and I'm getting Vino Di Travis from David K. this spring.

• shive
    14 years ago

These are my favorites:

Bela Lugosi
    Robes for the Queen
    Moonlight Sail
    Regal Fantasy
    Court Magician
    Lord of Rings
    Freedom's Triumph

Debra

• jakejones
    14 years ago

MARY'S BABY by Norris:

{{gwi:688179}}

• shive
    14 years ago

Wow! Gorgeous photo of MARY'S BABY! I have its parent, MARY LIGHTFINE by Norris, and it's a good purple too. I like that it blooms late.

• stpetegardengal
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Lotodig, thank you. I saw it on LA, but it went a little high for a total newbie like me. My husband suggested that we hold out at least until next weekend, when we can go to the local show and see some things in person. He's right - it's easy to go a little crazy (at least for me) when I see all these fabulous photos!! I thought there would just be a few I liked, but there are LOTS and our yarden is not large. SO the plan is, try to control ourselves for a few days....
    haha... Anyway, thank you all again for the beautiful pics and suggestions. My "wish list" is getting longer every time I check in to this forum!!

• carefreeplants_2008
    14 years ago

My favorites are Bela Lugosi, Shaka Zulu, China Clipper, Violet Becomes You! The list would have probably included Larry's Obsession, newly planted last year. But so far, it's still a no show in the yard.
    In the wish list is Mary's Baby and some more of Richard's plants.