Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newyorkrita

OT: I am on a bulb ordering roll!

newyorkrita
12 years ago

Today I did my third and fourth bulb orders. First from American Meadows and then from Breck's.

I liked things there at American Meadows (only a total of 187 bulbs) so I just had to have them! So I ordered-

50 Wild Crocus Bulbs Minimus

50 Wild Crocus Bulbs Fuscotinctus

20 Dutch Iris Bulbs Bronze Queen

15 Double Poet's Daffodil Bulbs

20 Triumph Tulip Bulbs Giant John

24 Triumph Tulip Bulbs Dutch Princess Mix

FREE BONUS - Daffodil Bulbs Martinette (Bag of 8)

They are having a 50% off sale which made these a good buy. At full price I doubt I would have ordered even though I want them. So these ship in October. I have spots picked out for everything.

Then from Brecks a small order of bulbs but still. All tulips this time. 24 Improved Rembrandt Tulip mix and the one I just flipped over 60 Firespray Tulip Mixture. Now I just noticed the Firespray tulips there compleatly by chance as I was looking at the Rembrandt mix and wanted to see what else there is. I had never heard of Firespray tulips. Then I did web searches and found out that it might be possible to find red firespray elsewhere but the mix of red, yellow and orange was only available here at Brecks. It is a shorter type of bunch flowering tulips and just lovely. Actually latin name of Praestans Fusilier. I have never had any type of bunch flowering tulips before. Oh and I also found out these came back for people and you shouldn't need to replant. They are going in two garden spots, 24 in one section and 36 in another. Then the 24 Rembrandt mix still somewhere else. So add another 84 tulips to my ongoing order total.

And I had not even PLANNDED on ordering from these two places.

So far my ongoing bulbs ordered are 1,756.

Comments (12)

• Nancy
    12 years ago

Oh my gosh, Rita, it is going to be so beautiful next spring. I've never heard of Firespray tulips, so had to look them up. Impressive! I hope you recover from planting all these tulips in time next spring to enjoy them! I just don't know how you do it all :)

• organic_kitten
    12 years ago

You are going to have a gorgeous garden, and you are on your own with that many bulbs.

kay

• jean_ar
    12 years ago

WOW RITA>You are going to be very very tired before you get all them bulbs planted, but they will certainly be a work of art when they bloom the next spring.Last year, your gardens looked just fantastic, so I can not imagine them looking any better then that.

Jean

• dementieva
    12 years ago

Wow, that's a lot of bulbs! For contrast, I went to American Meadows a couple weeks ago and bought 6 lilium "Casa Blanca" bulbs, and they're already planted.

Nate

• Waitforspring
    12 years ago

I know your yard will look fantastic--I think it does already--but just thinking about planting all those bulbs makes me tired.
    Val

• buyorsell888
    12 years ago

You are an inspiration of mail ordering and planting in mass. :)

• houstmag
    12 years ago

Wow! Rita your spring garden will be fantastic, I agree with the others though I don't think I would have the energy to plant all those bulbs.
    Linda

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone and I do think my garden should look even nicer during next springs bulb season what with my new will be additions. AS far as planting goes, that is why I plot my new bulb additions now in the spring and order early. If I actually waited till Fall, I wouldn't get them as I think about the work of planting them too much. Getting them now forces me to deal with the planting when they arrive in the fall.

I forgot to say when I wrote this post that The Becks order was a good deal because they have $25.00 off is you order more than $50.00 which I did. So I think I got a bargain!

And I am still very excited about those Firespray tulips. was thinking lots about them last night.

• Cindy zone 6a
    12 years ago

Sounds wonderful!!! Now don't forget your HYACINTHS!!!LOL.
    Cindy

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Cindy, I did order 25 Hyacinths already in my Colorblends order. Picked the mixed colors. Figgured those would be best for me. For years I just kept forgetting to order them.

• gardenofeden777
    12 years ago

Hi Rita I added over 50 hyacinths to two of my gardens this year & the fragrance wafting from them is so nice. You will love them! Rena'

• MsKitty31
    11 years ago

Does anyone know of any companion flowers for the firespray tulips? I also ordered some and have seen a couple of pictures with a white flower in with the firespray...think they may be early stardrift. I wanted something that bloomed at the same time as firespray but was shorter in height. Thanks.

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor