Return to the Daylily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dug & divided today - can I plant or let them sit out a bit?

Posted by juliamay67 8b Western WA (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 15, 14 at 17:48

Mike McGroarty has a video on Youtube where he is dividing daylilies. In it he says to let the divisions sit in the sun a few days to heal any injuries.

I went ahead and did my best today but certainly broke many tubers (?) and even had to cut some apart. (These were terribly neglected and large clumps of plants.)

Should I let mine dry out or plant them right away? If they all survive, I will have tons of plants.

Thank you so much,

Julia in Woodinville, WA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dug & divided today - can I plant or let them sit out a bit?

For what it's worth, I always plant them immediately - why leave them in the sun to dry out?

Trim the foliage back, plant them, and you'll see growth almost immediately.

o

I don't see any reason to let them dry out. They certainly will store for some time (in the shade, perhaps with occasional moisture).

o

That's true. To kill a daylily, you really have to work at it. That being said, why stress the plant more than necessary?
John

o

I have also heard those same instructions about letting the lily callus over first but I did what others are saying -- I divided the lily and planted it right back into the ground.

Seems to be doing OK so far. Put out lots of new growth, even wider than the original patch was doing earlier this year before I split it.

o

If you're in an area that suffers from crown rot, at certain times of the year, it will be wise to let the cut area callus over before replanting. Over-night should suffice.
During the heat of summer, it's also wise to pot the cut plant up so you can control the amount of water and sun it gets.
Ed

o

There's a product call Ban-Rot that one of the hybridizers uses - he talks about it in his blog.

o

Is it dry or wet your way? It has been a very rainy April here so far, so I wouldn't be planting except in a pot for a bit. If it weren't so damp I would plant now.
kay

o

Not very rainy here in central Florida this year (so far).

o

Actually, I wrote this yesterday when it was dry. I was so pooped after digging & dividing, I thought it would plant today. Today it is rainy out. :(

I'm thinking I'd better get them in soon, though. I probably have about 20+ plants to find homes for.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Daylily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here