Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newyorkrita

Here's What I Have been up to.

newyorkrita
11 years ago

Been busy this spring and very organised. I figgured it would soon be time to plant tomatoes (if it would only warm up) so I wanted to be ready so that I only need to go to the nursery and buy my plants and pop them in.

I did buy tomato seeds over the winter but I just didn't get around to starting them so its back to the buy seedlings for me.

So I had 2 yards of compost delivered, spread it out over all the will be tomato beds, bought bales of straw and spread the straw mulch. This way the tomato seedlings are protected and do not get soil born deseases from splashback.

Lastly I put up my tomato cages and steaks. I am ready to put in tomatoes!

The three tomato beds in the side yard. The square one used to be the iris garden but last fall I moved all the iris.

Comments (18)

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

And here is the tomato area right off the porch. Last year my tomato plants here grow 7 feet high.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

My spring peas I am growing in pots. I have four pots of snow peas and six pots of Sugar Lace Two Snap peas.

• organic_kitten
    11 years ago

You are ready if the weather will cooperate. I have four plants in the greenhouse. When the weather cooperates, I will plant them. The lettuce is beautiful, and we have eaten salads from it several times. My onions are up and growing well. I planted beans today, and planted okra in the little pots in the greenhouse. I have cucumbers and peppers in there too.

Kay

• organic_kitten
    11 years ago

I wish I was about half as organized as you are.
    kay

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The weather turned cold and I can't plant tomatoes, beans or cucumbers until it warms up.

• jean_ar
    11 years ago

wow:Rita. you have been busy.Your tomatoe cages are square? I had a couple give to me several years ago and they were round.. not much good for the tomatoes either.I found to just stake the tomatoes and tie them to the stakes worked much better for me. I have planted 5 tomatoes so far. one is big enough that I need to find my stakes for it real soon.Will probably need more then one stake for it as its already close to 2 feet tall.No Patio maters this year..I am having a terrible time this year to do the things I want to do, since I fell back in November and broke the right wrist,and busted my head open, too on a cement bench that gos to a cement round table in the back yard..Guess I damaged the back and made it worse then it already was, because all I have to do now is stand on my feet for 15 minutes,and the pain is so severe,I just have to get off my feet, so cant do everything I want to do. but am taking it slow.

my daughter told my dr to order me to stop acting like I am 18 yrs old and stay in the house. he told her he wont tell me to stay in the house,as its good for me to be out in the yard, doing what I love to do, just have to go slower to do it.,and rest every few minutes..I hope our last cold spell is gone for good this time. this yoyo weather is mot good for anything.
    I have hunted for some of them bush cucumber seeds that I could grow in big pots, but, everyone thinks I am nuts asking for bush type cucumber seeds, Don't have such a thing, they said which IKnow they do.

Jean

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Jean, the tomato cages are a rectangle. Not that strudy really but I think they work well enough.

And I agree that it is good for you to go out into the garden. Just take it slow and easy.

• FlowerGardener
    11 years ago

Jean they do have a cucumber with shorter vines Cucumber, Spacemaster
    60 days
    Plants have short vines with no runners. Ideal for small gardens
    and to use in salads. Fruits are 7" long and dark green. This
    variety may also be grown in containers.
    I haven't looked on the internet for seeds these are from a local nursery that doesn't ship.,,,Betty

• Waitforspring
    11 years ago

I wish I had half as much energy as you Rita. I haven't even thought about vegetables yet. I just had knee surgery 12 days ago so that sure hasn't helped me with my gardening. I know your garden will be great again.
    Val

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I hate winter so I am very glad it is spring again. And I plan on lots of tomatoes again this year. Meantime I am so very much enjoying my spring bulbs.

• Nancy
    11 years ago

You have been so busy! Nice to be ready though, I'm always plopping things in at the last minute. I did a little better this year though. I keep meaning to try peas in pots like you have, but just can't seem to get things together in time, probably already a little late here.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I am really well organised this year. In fact I just got back from the nursery and bought seedlings of-

Eggplant
    Zucchinu
    Burpless cucumbers
    Boston Lettuce
    Brocolli
    Tomatoes

• jean_ar
    11 years ago

Oh Goodness Rita. you are going to have veggies every where.I raised eggplants one year, long ago.I love seeing them grow..I planted 3 hills of cucumbers a couple weeks ago, but they never came up,it turned very cold 2 days after I planted them,so guess I will try again. rather go buy a couple plants to stick in the ground.. will have to go hunt for the ones betty told me about.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I didn't see those short vine varieties I had last year this year. I do have lots of types of cucumber seeds and will be starting my own. Also I start my own beans from seed, so easy from seed.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I just love it when the veggies start to produce and I can go outside and pick dinner right in my own garden and eat it just a short while later. I do love stir fry and last year had delicious stir fried beans mostly from my yard long beans. Will have those again this year, I already have the seeds but its too early to start them as yet. Last year I didn't have peppers this year I do. And Zucchini can go in those stir fries too. A nice pepper, bean and sliced zucchini stir fry. Yumm, Yumm. And eggplant can be micowaved and is easy to cook. Some red sauce and maybe a sprinkle of cheeze and dinner is served. Then there is my famous (famous in my own mind) tomato and cucumber salad. Plus fresh tomatoes eaten every way you can think of. I love love tomato sandwiches and never seem to get tired of them.

Maybe I will start my cucumbers this weekend. I have lots of seeds and always start some of my own to go with those burpless cucumber seedlongs that I bought.

• jean_ar
    11 years ago

I love Tomatoe sandwiches, too,Rita.but, also like them just sliced on a plate with dinner. or cut them in quarters, and a little bit of salt and make a meal out of just them tomatoes.Last year,I ate lots of dinnera with all veggies,no meat.I eat very little meat anywayand then its mostly chicken breast ai eat.

jean.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

My Sugar Lace II snap peas. Odd looking vines. Supposed to be a very productive variety so we will see.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I planted tomato seedlings out today. Have 53 in ground so far. I have ten pepper plants and my cukes, zuchini and eggplant still to go.