Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newyorkrita

Early Spring Daylily Beds

newyorkrita
11 years ago

The daylilies have begon to grow and the spring bulbs begon to bloom. Spring is here in my garden.

The left front yard is going to be a mass of tulip blooms. The daffodil there are already blooming.

{{gwi:689595}}

{{gwi:689596}}

{{gwi:689597}}

{{gwi:689598}}

In there these species crocus tulips are blooming.
{{gwi:689599}}

{{gwi:689600}}

And those daffs up in the more upper section.

{{gwi:689601}}

{{gwi:689602}}

Now lets move to the backyard where I have my Korth Daylily Bed. I planted tulips in between those daylilies for early color.

{{gwi:689603}}

{{gwi:689604}}

Those tulips closeup.
{{gwi:689605}}

{{gwi:689606}}

{{gwi:689607}}

Comments (15)

• organic_kitten
    11 years ago

Well it has started, and will be gorgeous I'm sure. Those tulips are supposed to come back every year, aren't they? You've got a beautiful stand of them.
    kay

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, the little hot pink ones in front come back and the ones in that backyard bed come back. They are Greiggii Division tulips called Sundance. I planted Sundance and three others, Goldwest, Large Copper and March Of Time Greiggii tulips so 4 bulbs in each hole. My plan was a sea of color. But the Sundance are blooming first, others to stagger behind in bloom time. So instead of a sea of mixed colors I will have a sucession of staggered mixed colors. Pretty either way. And best part is that they never need to be replanted.

• jean_ar
    11 years ago

WOW Rita, Those last 5 pictures are gorgeous. so pretty.I have never seen tulips like this before but, they sure are pretty. The daffs are pretty, too...

Jean

• timberohio
    11 years ago

Gorgeous! I keep saying one of these days my yard will look as nice as Rita's. I love seeing photots of all your flowers it gives me ideas. I put in 42 tulip bulbs this past winter. They are starting to come up. Will see how many make it next year. I never have luck with them coming back, too many squirrels that like to dig and eat them.

Andrea

• Nancy
    11 years ago

Things are already looking good at your house, Rita, lots of color happening. I only have 1 type of species tulip here. I'm thinking I need some more after I've had them a few years. They have returned every year & spread a little, really need some other colors.
    I really like that last photo.

• houstmag
    11 years ago

Rita it's always a pleasure to see photos of your gardens, how I wish I could grow those tulips and daffs.
    Linda

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I keep adding more and more spring bulbs. I truely love daffidils and love, love, love tulips.

• Julia WV (6b)
    11 years ago

Looking good. I especially like the last picture. I'm sure the show is just starting with all those bulbs you planted.

Julia

• celeste/NH
    11 years ago

Well things are really 'springing' forth in your yard Rita!
    I feel like I'm in a theater getting ready for the curtain to rise.....this is just a preview of the grand show coming.
    You are so far ahead of me it's like we are living in seperate hemispheres. It snowed & sleeted all day here and is so COLD. My garden beds are still frozen and nothing has been able to pop up yet, just the green tips on some bearded iris that are against the house. No spring bulbs, no daylilies, nothing. Last year everything was ridiculously early but I think now everything is going to be late. Although next week I heard temps are going to warm up and actually be like spring weather.....I am so sick of winter and today seemed like a big step back.

I can't prune my roses for awhile yet since no swelling of the leaf buds and the forsythias are a couple weeks from popping. I want to do bed cleanup but I can't yet until all the ground is unfrozen. So I just walk around and pick up limbs & pinecones that fell during the winter storms and sidestep where I can't walk because of mud and snow. I can't even clean out the watergardens because they're still frozen. I am throwing a baby shower for my daughter next Saturday so I keep busy planning that and making favors & decorations. I want to be gardening!

I await more of your grand show with much enthusiasm!

Cel;este

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It is just the beginning around here. It is rediculous the amount of tulips I have comming up. Everywhere I look down I have tulips. And lots of daffs too.

I hope spring arrives soon for you. We have all had enough of winter by now!

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That back bed today.

• jean_ar
    11 years ago

OH WOW RITA> How gorgeous, that is. those tulips are different from any I have seen beforer and they are just beautiful.

jean

• darobi2459
    11 years ago

I love the front of your house! The stair stepping is a great idea that I thought of doing too :) We dont have as much of a slope, but looking at yours make me want to revisit this thought! Very nice early garden!

• thomastwin
    11 years ago

I look at all the flowers and think, that was a lot of work planting so many bulbs! But isn't it sweet when they bloom. Can't wait to see the pics of your daylilies in bloom.

Suzanne

• gardenofeden777
    11 years ago

Very pretty Rita! I always look forward to you posting new pics. And I think everybody after reading how many bulbs you planted are eagerly anticipating the deluge of beautiful garden photos to come.

Rena'