Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
organic_kitten

blooms stalks coming up on daylilies and iris

organic_kitten
11 years ago

I have been working like mad to get all the weeding and mulching done before the season starts.

Well...it isn't all done, but I got another huge hunk done today. Everything got sprayed with the fungicide, I planted the foxgloves and the California wildflowers, and I mulched a huge area of azaleas and shade plants with pine straw.

Still some re-weeding and mulching to be done. Will spry for thrips tomorrow and, hopefully re-weed and mulch the balance of the iris row. It is coming together though...I kind feel like I'm coming apart, but everything is looking pretty good...and my huge mulch pile will soon be history.
kay

Comments (9)

• newyorkrita
    11 years ago

You have ben working really hard and especially today. But your garden thanks you and I bet it all looks fabulous.

My bearded iris have just barely begun to grow leaves. Most of the Siberian Iris are not even awake yet. And the daylilies are just starting to grow here.

• jean_ar
    11 years ago

wow!kay. you need to slow down just a little.You will be too tired to injoy any of the blooms, soon.but, I was weedling all afternoon, too. got another big bed,almost finished and it was really thick with weeds.I was also replacing some plant markers that was getting faded.I have a lot more weeds this year, then I have ever had before..

jean

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Uh Huh! Jean got another big bed almost done and she tells me to slow down. We are both fighting to get done before the summer heat, aren't we?
    kay

• Julia WV (6b)
    11 years ago

Goodness Kay, you have been working around the clock. I always enjoy your pics of your garden in bloom. I envy the warmth you and Jean are having but I know in a few months both of you will be wishing for cooler temps.
    Clown Parade made it through the winter here so we shall see what blooms this year. Thanks again for sending it.

It has been slow here to get stuff done and the temps seem to be getting better. Still a few more beds to clean and finish the spreading of alfalfa pellets.So much easier to dig out those pesky weeds when the daylilies are just emerging. Only lost 1 TB Iris so far from last years plantings. Crocus are blooming and most of the tulips and daffs I planted last fall are coming up.

Hope to see more bloom pics from you in the coming months.:-) Also Hot Tamales And Red Hots (Rice) made it through the winter so I am assuming late summer is best to send you a double fan of it? Let me know.

Julia

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Julia,
    I am so glad Clown Parade made it for you. It was reared in North Carolina, so it should have been exposed to some snow there.

I have been putting in a lot of hours, but the weeds are "boondogglers" this year. I am so wanting to be on maintenance when the very hot weather gets here. (usually no later than early June).

I have got to spread some alfalfa and spray the daylilies (thrips). For some reason I have been quite tired today, so I may and may not get to any of it today.

Tamales and Red Hots could come anytime it is convenient for you. I would just pot it and wait til fall to plant it, or wait, whatever. I really appreciate that offer, since I love the hot ones!

I have a start of Abileen Lilian to plant, and it is doing well in its pot for now. Digging some starts for a friend who tells me she loves daylilies. I figure to give her about 10 of them. One more time to spray with Pentathlon to kill existing black spot...I have very little, but my elderly neighbor cannot care for her roses anymore, so I am taking care of them for her, and she has a lot of black spot...it is greatly improved after the second spray. I gear up for any fungicides, so I look like a space cartoon when I spray.

I bought some Clearys 336 for leaf streak, so I will be wanted to use it soon. I always try to get out super early, and haven't noticed any decrease in the very busy bees around here.

Funny how you notice bloom spikes when you are spraying that you don't see just looking at the plants.

I hope you get your real spring weather soon. I can't believe Colorado and the other western stated are having to deal with still more snow. I guess it is snow or extreme heat unless you live in California.
    kay

• newyorkrita
    11 years ago

It really was spring here today, just a glorious day. About time I say. Kay, try not to overdo. And Jean, hurray for getting all those weeds pulled.

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm so glad you had a beautiful day today, Rita. Did yu do any planting? Hopefully Julia had a pretty one too. It was so pretty here, but I didn't get out in it for a while, since I had slightly overdone it yesterday and gym took the wind out of my sails.

But, I finally got out, and Fernstone has bloomstalks that are growing fast. Looks as if next week may see my first bloom. I don't have it in the best place, so plan to move it this fall.

kay

• newyorkrita
    11 years ago

The only things I have been planting are seeds. It is still too early to get seedlings here. I haven't even been to a nursery yet this spring. But soon!

• jean_ar
    11 years ago

KAY: Yes,I do not want to get out to pull weeds out of the beds in the heat when it gets here. 100 plus is just too hot for me to be in the yard.Its about all I can do in the summer heat is to water them to keep them aliveRight now,I been figuring on how I can get some mulch to put out.course, not real sure I can spread it myself.I think I can do it slowly..,Dont remember what kind of mulch I got at home depot last year that was on sale real cheap.it looked nice after I had it all down.oh well, have to wait and see what they will have.

jean