Return to the Daylily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cutting leaves in fall

Posted by nat4b 4 (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 5, 14 at 18:57

Anybody does cut the foliage in the fall? Especially in the north?
I wonder if it would help with spring cleaning? Or it's better to leave them here for the winter?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cutting leaves in fall

I don't cut back in the fall, but leave everything as mulch for the winter. I do clean up everything in the spring when the dormants start to break.
Ed

o

I tried it once but found winter protection is best for the north. After this past winter, I'm glad I left everything.

Julia

o

i leave the foliage on to help insulate the plant. Actually it is probably easier to remove because they just pull away from the plant. We are almost done uncovering. Can't wait for the blooms to start.

o

Thanks, everybody! So the consensus is better not to cut in the fall. I guess I was just lazy about spring clean-up :)

o

Just to pop in, I decided mine did better if I didn't cut anything til after at least the first freeze. And have nice mulch in place.

kay

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Daylily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here