Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
organic_kitten

Daylily Blooms!

organic_kitten
11 years ago

It was low forties this morning, and several of them had a little trouble opening, but there are four blooms:

Marseilles Wathercolor was not bothered by the cool weather:

{{gwi:690981}}

Patricia Snider Memorial had a little trouble with it, but finally opened:

{{gwi:690983}}

This one... (Not sure what it is) never fully opened:

{{gwi:690985}}

And Rowdy Red took its time, but it opened up just right:

{{gwi:690988}}

Bill Watson should open tomorrow, and we'll see what else thinks it is time. It is supposed to be cololer tomorrow than today! At least the season has started, and started early.

Here is New Dawn today -such a beauty to be a thug!

{{gwi:254517}}

And Wild Blue Yonder...I love that rose...can't seem to get the shade right on camera; it is more purple than it photographs:

{{gwi:690991}}

kay

Comments (9)

• Julia WV (6b)
    11 years ago

Nice pics Kay. Love seeing the sun in those pics and lovely blooms. Funny how some daylilies are not bothered by cooler temps and others just don't want to show their full potential.

Julia

• newyorkrita
    11 years ago

Both roses are very beautuful but that New Dawn is simply unbelievable with all those blooms. So nice to see daylilies already. Rowdy Red is my favorite.

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Julia and Rita. I have so many that are almost ready to open up. A very early season indeed! Cosmic Kaleidescope is only a couple of days away...I've been waiting two years for that first bloom.

Here's his picture today:
    {{gwi:690995}}

And Julia, that sewing machine is amazing! It has been a very long time since I bought a new one, and this is quite a machine!

kay

• Nancy
    11 years ago

You had several just jump in & bloom, pretty ones too. I really like the first one. Love the color on your Wild Blue Wonder,I bet it is even prettier in person with the color you describe. New Dawn is still the one taking my breath, so very beautiful.

• anniegolden
    11 years ago

Your Marseilles Watercolor looks almost peach. I wonder if that's the cool weather. Mine last year was more ivory/cream. At this point the roses are still stealing the show from the daylilies. I'm sure that won't last long.
    Christine

• sann777
    11 years ago

After I saw a pic of your New Dawn rose last week I bought one. Now where to put it??

• jean_ar
    11 years ago

Kay,That NEW DAWN is a gorgeous rose.at least I hope you have the NEW DAWN. I tried twice to get it, but mine turned out not to be new dawn.mine ended up a one blooming per year.it was loaded in the spring with big beauties, then nothing else the rest of the year, and it took me months to dig it back out and get rid of it.The second one I got ended up being the same thing, so my young daughter came and dug that one out and I never tried again for it.I alreay had a 4th of July growing in a huge pot, so just drug it over to the huige trellis I built for it, and now I have the 4th of July on the trellis.. Now I dont want new dawn, its too big for me to handle it, but its a beauty. I love you Rowdry red, too, its very pretty, and the rose, WILD BLUE YONDER is gorgeous. my MEMORIAL DAY rose has 4 blooms on it,and today is day 4 for the blooms,and I have never seen a rose this big before.I measured it,and its 6 and half inch in diameter.

Jean

• houstmag
    11 years ago

Finally some more DL blooms, I really like Marseilles Watercolor the more I see it just might have to add it to my list. The roses are looking great to.
    Linda

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks so much, Nancy, every year when New Dawn puts on her major show, I forget about the habit of taking over turf. She is a beauty.

Christine. Nope, that is the sun effect, she is an ivory cream color.

Sann, you will love your New Dawn, but she needs a lot of room and a good support as she grows. Which she will.

Jean, that is the major pattern for New Dawn in our areas. A huge flush then more sporadic blooming. She is always blooming, but it seems meager compared to her enormous flush. I am going to feed her a bit and see if I can encouraged heavier bloom...usually don't since she grows so on her own.

Thanks Linda, yours have been beautiful and day-brighteners.
    kay