Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
organic_kitten

Worked all day -Scapes Everywhere No Pics

organic_kitten
11 years ago

I spent about 7 hours weeding. There is such rapid growth in the weeds that it is a bit overwhelming. I won't have everything looking the way I want for Easter, but it is much better.

The iris are looking nice, and many bloom spikes up showing up on them. But the daylily scapes are bothering me.

I find more every time I look. This afternoon I found three on plants that didn't have them this morning and I quit looking. I need to put out fish emulsion and spray for thrips. Rats! I hope they are through with the main bloom in May.

Bah. Gardening just is.

kay

Comments (12)

• newyorkrita
    11 years ago

Gosh, things are moving along at recored breaking pace at your garden. Just seems too early for daylily scapes when the iris haven't even bloomed yet. Just crazy!

• shive
    11 years ago

Kay - You must be worn out from all that weeding! Three and a half hours is my record. I can't believe you are getting scapes this early! No scapes here yet. I'm hoping there won't be much bloom in May.

Debra

• anniegolden
    11 years ago

Goodness! 7 hours weeding! Oh, your aching back. That's too much weeding all at once. I don't have that kind of dedication. I have more of an attention-deficit-disorder approach. I prune a little, then weed a little, then set a spell, then plant a little, then weed a little more, then throw a tennis ball for my dog, then water a little, you get the idea. Eventually, it all gets done, or not.

Christine

• jean_ar
    11 years ago

kay, The weeds are growing at high speed here, too, but,I am not able to weed that much at a time, yet.That pneumonia just done me in, along with the age I guess,I stayed outside saturday afteeroon about 4 hrs weeding, and have not been able to do anything since. Hoping tomorrow I can do some more. The other daughter came this afternoon and took me with her to get some flowers at my favorite greenhouse, and she bought me a few plants, a foxglove plant, a balloon plant, a Mandevilla vine, some wave petunias for a couple planters and some portulaca plants and some zinnia plants, and she told me take my time to plant them.Since I know where I want them, wont be much to plant them,and dont have to be in no hurry either.I always leave the mandevillas in the pot, but this time , the pot was just too small, so I transplanted it into a bigger pot when I got back, and I was wore out when I finished it.

Jean

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi everyone. The worst of it is I have been weeding all week, not just today...and I'm still not through. Whine Whine Whine!

I am just sick to see the daylilies starting so soon. Silly things! The iris are just now blooming. After finding Purple Honey Creeper, Patricia Snider Memorial, Oktoberfest, Destined to See, and another one right next to PSM just today, 3 of them weren't even showing scapes this morning...I quit looking. It is supposed to rain tomorrow, but if it doesn't, I will try to feed and spray...if not, Friday. I really need to get it done.

Ah well, let's have roses with my whine. (You've heard of Whine and roses haven't you? I know awful pun)

Papa Melliand---wonderful fragrance:
    {{gwi:691323}}

Reines de Violettes...fragrance wafts across the yard:

{{gwi:257272}}

Tequilla Sunrise:
    {{gwi:658450}}

Moss Rose Quatre Saisons Blanc Mousseux:

{{gwi:691326}}

Ah well. I feel better now, so I will erase the 2nd installment of excessive whining so you won't have to be bothered with it.

kay

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Jean, you were posting while I was. take care of yourself. You don't want a relapse. DH has taken over a lot of household chores to free me for the garden and that helps.
    kay

• anniegolden
    11 years ago

Love all your roses, couldn't pick a favorite.

• Nancy
    11 years ago

I've been busy weeding too, & finished yesterday. We haven't had significant rain, so they are slow to return right now, so I can take a bit of a break :) Usually we have so much spring rain, I just start all over with the weeding.
    Love the roses, especially that brilliant Tequilla Sunrise.

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks you both for looking and commenting.

Christine, all four of these have that wonderful intense rose fragrance.

Nancy, I suppose the reason the weeds are growing so fast is we have been having a good bit of rain as well as the heat. It is indeed turn around and begin again. today I am fertilizing and spraying...can't weed until that necessary task is done.

The roses are in their spring flush and they are beautiful. This is the third year foir the first part of my roses. Of course, the HTs are several years older.

The end portion is just second year.

The scent and the sight is wonderful though.
    Even not looking for them, there are scapes on Malaysian Marketplace and Dancing with Julie. all the earlies will be early. We are supposed to have a very cool snap next week. WE will see.
    kay

• newyorkrita
    11 years ago

Beautiful roses just beautiful. My favorite is Tequilla Sunrise also. And no problem having some whining is ok, we are here to listen even if we can't help with the garden chores.

• jean_ar
    11 years ago

kay, I dont mind the whining at all, as I can do a fair amout of it too. helps the feelings but not the body.I am barely moving my body today, after going with a daughter to get some flowers yesterday.I did not do no walking. Very little.I never thought about it till just now, reading about all the rain we been getting, but maybe thats why I am hurting so bad lately is all this rain. it stops for 3 days then starts over again. done got about 6 inches of rain since tuesday already.Your roses looks like they are loving all the rain, they are just beautiful.

jean

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Rita. My favorite changes from day to day. Thanks Jean, I am not getting as much rain as you, but the roses love every drop of it. And I know you know roses. The rain will make your bones and joints ache. I am aching from all of the yard work, but it is coming along finally.
    kay