Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newyorkrita

OT: Ordered Colorblends Tulips and bulbs.

newyorkrita
12 years ago

Kay, This is all your fault as you turned me on to Colorblends bulbs. :-)

Oh man, oh man. I hadn't been bad over the winter to order plants for the garden but really did just go nuts just now. Just hit the order now for bulbs from COLORBLENDS. Mostly Tulips. I have never ordered from colorblends before but I have seen their tulips on their website. They really have the most beautiful tulop blends. So I ordered-

100 1295 Bloomsday

100 1414 French Blend

100 1417 Parrot Blend

100 1474 Three Queens

100 1464 Pillow Talk

25 1302 Beauty of Spring

25 1753 Christina van Kooten

25 1423 Cockatoo

25 1286 Cretaceous

25 1433 Marilyn

25 1553 Semper Maxima

50 1021 Humilis Violacea species tulip

100 5021 Crocreation crocus blend

25 4055 Hyacinth Jambalaya

Most of these are tulip blends. Just spent about $425.00. Ack! 700 tulips , 25 hyacinths and 100 crocus.

Here is a link that might be useful: Colorblends

Comments (16)

• organic_kitten
    12 years ago

Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Your yard will be a springtime paradise. I ordered my Colorblends yesterday, but I ordered only about 200 tulips. Of course I had already ordered the Come Backs from Brent and Becky, and I haven't made my Scheepers order yet.

They have gorgeous tulips and the blooms are huge. You will enjoy them. But I am not planting 750 of them this fall...that was a bit much.
    kay

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I just love tulips and those color combo mixes they put together at Colorblends you can't get anywhere else. But I am not done. I will be ordering more tulips from Scheepers and also crocus and daffs and then probably order from Brent and Beckies too. I want those COME BACK tulips that Brent and Beckies shows.

• organic_kitten
    12 years ago

I take it back. After looking, I find that we both ordered Semper Maxima. I got Queen of the Night, Big Eartha, (every year, Huge tulips) Banja Luka, I will get Cum Laude and Pink Diamond from Scheepers, plus the yellow streaked with red that came back so well for me. And there are a couple more that I get from Brent and Becky. And, of course, I got the Come Back red ones. from B&B since they did all come back this year.

kay

• jean_ar
    12 years ago

wow,Rita, you are going to be busy, busy this next fall.But, it sure will be pretty when they all bloom.

Jean

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    12 years ago

OK girls!! I had to get on there and order too. Tulips are soooooo addictive!! Just like everything else! lol!! I thought all mine I ordered last year weren't going to do anything then all of a sudden they just started shooting up everywhere. I did end up with a few that didn't do well but overall they did great!! They have some gorgeous combos. I checked VanEngelen but they aren't selling yet. NOW I gotta go check out those your talking about from B&B!! heehee! Judy

• anniegolden
    12 years ago

Rita, you are a wonder. You certainly don't shy away from big projects. Can't wait to see next spring's photos.

Well, I order from B&B, but never look at the tulips, because they don't come back. What is your experience with the Come Back tulips? How many years do they come back?

Christine

• Nancy
    12 years ago

I adore tulips, but just can't put that much effort into plants that don't come back. I have tulip foliage that still comes up & uses space, but never do anything. Of course, I do have an odd tulip blooming occasionally, one is a parrot type, can you imagine? Some tulips I planted that were supposed to return didn't, so I gave up. Do have a few of the species tulips that return every year, but they just aren't as big & splashy as others.
    Your gardens are going to be stunning next spring though. That is a lot of tulips, Rita! You & Kay are making me think on it, I'll be wishing I had tulips next year I know. I've admired the Colorblends tulips, but never purchased any.

• organic_kitten
    12 years ago

Come on Nancy! Get some of the Come Back tulips from Brent and Becky anyway. They all came back this year. Never happened before! Also, Jojn Scheepers La Courtine (yellow with red streaks) had a good 50% rebloom this year.

kay

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I want to try the COME BACK tulips from Brent and Beckies, I have never had them. And I do so much love tulips but they do have to be replanted. This spring darwins and early tulips came back (not all of them) but any triumphs that I bought did not come back at all. But even the ones came back are not putting on the show they did that first year.

• kyme
    12 years ago

My tulips come back but not always in the same place. I have established a wildlife habitat on my 6 1/2 acres and so the squirrels sometimes redecorate my yard for me.

They also occassionaly bring me tulips from the neighbor's yards. I guess they want me to keep putting peanuts, corn and sunflower seeds in their feeders.

I plant bulbs every fall and now have hundreds in the woods which is really neat!

Martha

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I have some tulips here that I have had for near ten years that come back each spring. But you start with 100 and by year three you are lucky of there are 20 left. So tulips around here do have to be replanted.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Today I got a very nice personal e-mail from someone (it was signed) at Colorblends thanking me for me "very nice order". I thought that was really great to get a personal note.

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    12 years ago

I got the same sweet email Rita. I know lots of mine probably won't come back but gonna keep planting them as long as I am able. lol!! I have so enjoyed them the last couple of years.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Lots of mine don't come back either but I just keep adding more.

I thought that was so nice of Colorblends to send their customers a thank you note for their orders. A nice personal touch that tells me that my order really is important to the company.

• Julia WV (6b)
    12 years ago

I went to check out their site but noticed they when I clicked on the icon for Darwin Hybrids, nothing came up? Odd, eh?

Good luck with your planting in the fall. Looks like you've picked a wonderful selection.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Go to the main section and click on ALL TULIPS. Then all the types come up. I think maybe they haven't gotton all those other subsections done yet. It is early for bulb ordering as most people are not ordering bulbs yet. I think of additions to my bulbs during spring daffodil and tulip bloom seasons so I am thinking about it now.

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH