Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
avedon_gw

Storms Tomorrow--Pictures Today

avedon_gw
12 years ago

Since we have the possibility of strong storms tomorrow, I decided I had better do pictures today, for the wind is very strong already. This morning, I had to help my husband stake some plants. A few of the rose bushes had suffered broken canes before we could get to them. that's how bad it's been.

Avedon

{{gwi:692273}}

This is a group shot of our rambler which we call the "Jean" rose--it came from my sister's 1885 Victorian house.

{{gwi:692275}}

Closeup--love this rose

{{gwi:692277}}

The Jean rambler rose on the fence. It's so large, I can't get it all in the pictures.

{{gwi:692278}}

Coral double poppy--this one had to be staked--it's about 3 1/2 feet tall.

{{gwi:692280}}

Red Double Poppy--another one to be staked--4 feet tall. These poppies were not planted here. They just "popped" up and we left them. Obviously, they were very happy in that spot.

{{gwi:692282}}

These petunias came up volunteer. My husband had to hoe most of them out, they were so thick, and would have over run everything.

{{gwi:692284}}

A beautiful double mock orange named "Snow Goose." This fragrance is gorgeous.

{{gwi:692285}}

Another view of "Snow Goose". The bush doesn't look so great this year, might need to move it.

{{gwi:692287}}

The LA hybrid lilies are starting to bloom. This one is Camelot. Love the color.

{{gwi:692289}}

This little clump of "Camelot" really bloomed close to the ground--don't know why. They are usually taller.

{{gwi:692291}}

Cluster pic of rose "Blush Noisette". This is the oldest rose we grow. It is dated 1817. Just think--this is a real living antique.

{{gwi:692293}}

Had to do another of Belinda's Dream. This is just about peak bloom, and it is fabulous to see.

{{gwi:692295}}

Our spiderwort that came up volunteer in just the right spot. It is so cute. Pictures must be made in the morning, for it will close when the sun hits it.

{{gwi:692297}}

Cluster of polyantha Perle D'Or. Love this rose, so pretty. We keep ours pruned down, but the info I have says it could grow to 8 feet high and 8 feet across--impressive. Perhaps we should let our's grow and see if this is true.

{{gwi:692299}}

Last one--one of the Maggie roses nearly at peak bloom. We have 4 of these.

Comments (12)

• Nancy
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Everything is so pretty! Jean is unbelieveable, are you sure it is a rose :) I don't think I've ever seen one that big, although I remember having a Peace climber once that probably would have been if I hadn't planted it in the wrong spot.
    I just tossed out some poppy seeds this morning, kept forgetting about them. They were doubles too. Such beautiful roses.

• newyorkrita
    12 years ago

I love those poppies. Red is a great color for them! And your roses are marvelous. Sorry about the strong winds, hope it doesn't get too bad there.

• mantis__oh
    12 years ago

Belinda's Dream certainly grows well for you--so floriferous, such flawless bloom. I have researched it and found that it does not do so well further north.

• organic_kitten
    12 years ago

Ah Avalon, love them all. I really feel for you. the same thing happened here with the April storms last year. It almost two of my big bushes out of the ground and they still require support that wasn't necessary before.

Those poppies are fabulous! I adore the bight red colors.

I told DH earlier today that our little Blush Noisette was covered with buds and blooms. I got it because it was such an old bush, but mine is only a year old.

My Maggie went into the ground last fall. It is blooming well for a baby, but I look forward to it being more like yours and Jeans.

The rambler is gorgeous, ad Belinds's Dream is one. I hop you escape major damage with the storms.
    kay

• gardenofeden777
    12 years ago

Hi again! Your roses are so nice! I have several to plant. I have to make a new garden to put them in. Unfortunately I always work backwards buy plants first then scramble for a place to put them. That dang impulse buying gets me every time lol.

Yeah on the note of bad weather again, hurricane season is around the corner :( 6 months of relief 6 months of stress.
    Last year we were lucky no hurricanes woohoo! But the regular storms have been treacherous everywhere. Wreaking havoc and spawning tornadoes like nothing I've ever seen.
    Stay safe!

Thank you for the beautiful photos! Rena'

• shive
    12 years ago

Just gorgeous! Thanks for posting the eye candy!

• jean_ar
    12 years ago

Wow, all yyou roses are gorgeous.hope the bad weather dont mess them up. and hoping the bad storms miss us here again, too.I just love you belinda's Dream. its shaped so pretty.And MAGGIE is a great rose, too and so fragrant.

Stay safe,

Jean

• Waitforspring
    12 years ago

You have so many beautiful roses and those double poppies are gorgeous too. Hope you are safe in the storm.
    Val

• anniegolden
    12 years ago

Avedon, I so enjoyed all of your beautiful flowers. But perhaps the most poignant was the picture of the spiderwort. It grew wild freely on the Ouachita River levee whereI lived in Monroe, Louisiana, directly across from the river and is a special plant to me.
    Christine

• Julia WV (6b)
    12 years ago

Love the pics. Hope the storms don't do any damage and you and your family are safe.

Julia

• houstmag
    12 years ago

Stunning roses they are all gorgeous I especially like Belinda's Dream. Stay safe.
    Linda

• crackingtheconcrete
    12 years ago

Really enjoyed that fantastic Jean rose and those poppies are to die for!! Wish some would just randomly spring up in my garden ;)