Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
organic_kitten

First Daylily Bloom of 2013

organic_kitten
10 years ago

Not a real beauty, probably because of all the rain and the Yo-yo temps, but here's Fernstone:

{{gwi:692401}}

A couple more iris:

Fashion Statement:

{{gwi:692404}}

Palace Symphony:

{{gwi:692406}}

And the rose spring flush has started...

Compassion:

{{gwi:692410}}

with the Chinas:

{{gwi:692412}}

And Duchesse de Brabant:

{{gwi:692417}}

kay

Comments (10)

• mantis__oh
    10 years ago

I like the outward flaring falls in Fashion Statement. How has Compassion grown for you, as I just added it last year? It seems to be climbing a dead tree.

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mantis, Compassion is a very good grower. It has it's beautiful blooms all summer and fall, and indeed until freezes idle it.

It is indeed growing to one side of the dead tree, but the supports for it are rebar and posts. A very nice clematis is climbing the other side of trunk of the dead dogwood tree. Chickadees nested in it, and woodpeckers like it too, so it got to stay.

• Julia WV (6b)
    10 years ago

Not a bad start to daylily bloom season but those iris are wonderful. I need to google them both and add to my wish list which is growing fast.

Crazy here right now but hope in a few days to post some pics. I'm overwhelmed at the moment but keep telling myself I will get it all done :-).

Julia

• jean_ar
    10 years ago

oh Kay,That first daylily is gorgeous.and so is that first iris picture, too..your roses are looking good, too.I have several roses blooming, too.

jean

• jean_ar
    10 years ago

Kay, Why do some daylilies have a few leaves that look like some one tried to give it a wavy perm?I have several plants that has a leave or two with wavy leaves like some one tried to give it a perm.weird.

jean

• shive
    10 years ago

Hooray! Daylily season has begun for you! I love Iris Fashion Statement. It looks like that one clumped up quickly.

Debra

• gardenofeden777
    10 years ago

Goodness each pic is more beautiful than the next Kay! That Fashion Statement is aptly named!

Rena'

• houstmag
    10 years ago

Congrats!!! on your first bloom I love the color. I especially like your iris, what gorgeous colors.
    Linda

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Julian, my iris list was out of control at one time. I'm making some changes in the iris this year. I still don't have it all done, but I am in better shape...but all the rain is encouraging weeds even in mulched areas.

Thanks Jean. The spring rose flush has started. I don't know, but it's probably a combination of weird weather and some nice little varmint.

Thanks Debra. Actually, Fashion Statement didn't do a lot until I moved it from one end of the bed to the other, then it went like gangbusters. I do have a good many daylilies with scapes.

It is the first one, so it's good, but spotty. thanks, Linda. the iris are such dramatic blooms, that it is a pleasure to see them every year. I forget how much work they are:)

kay

I

• newyorkrita
    10 years ago

Kay, the iris and the garden are beautiful. And first daylily bloom is always great!

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths