Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
organic_kitten

Indian Ripple and Spacecoast Devil's Eye

organic_kitten
11 years ago

I planted SC Devil's Eye today, along with Wild Cherry Wine (thank you Ruth) and I have Indian Ripple soaking. I have wanted Indian Ripple for a long time. A daylily doesn't have to be the newest thing out to be one you want. Wild Cherry Wine was another one I had long wanted, I am delighted to have it in my garden.

I had bought SC Devl's Eye two years ago, but it was a single fan and did not survive. I left the label up to mark its place since I really wanted it, and a very nice vendor on the auction had it (not on the auction), I had bought another one of his, and wrote to see if by any chance he had SCDE and he did. It is in my garden now to my great delight!

Laura Harwood, Westbourne's Butterfly Season, and Emmerich's Spoken in Parables are the others I still have coming from auction. I will need to plant Abilene Lillian which I have happily growing in a pot at the moment.

I worked in the garden for a few hours today, weeding and mulching and planting. The planting was the most fun by far! Bad weather tonight...rats!

kay

Comments (19)

• houstmag
    11 years ago

Congrats on getting DL's on your wish list. I'm with you planting is one of my favorite jobs in the garden.
    Linda

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    11 years ago

I've been seeing pictures of Indian Ripple for years now and kept it on my long list. This year I finally have it coming (I hope - you never know until you open the box, see it there and then, later, see it bloom). I hope it turns out to be as beautiful in person as in all those pictures I've seen. Good luck with yours Kay. Look forward to seeing your pictures of it later this year :-)......Maryl

• flowergirl929
    11 years ago

Indian Ripple is a great one! I've decided not to order any more "new" daylilies for awhile. I had quite a few die this winter. I ordered Magnificent Grape from two different places and both are dead. How sad! Larkspur Blues the same thing. I love how tough the old ones are and I think some of them are just so beautiful!

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Flowergirl,

I was having a bit of the same problem until I began potting the plant for a while then planting it with it's nice new ettled root system. I haven't lost one since. Worth a try.

kay

• Nancy
    11 years ago

Nice new plants, I love the anticipation of different flowers to see :)

• newyorkrita
    10 years ago

Kay, I hope you have spaces for all your new daylilies.

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Rita, I have replaced a few, and moved a few into another space, so I do have room...now the new roses is another story. Ah well, I'll find a place for them.

kay

• darobi2459
    10 years ago

Wow Indian Ripple explodes with color Kay! I also ordered LAURA HARDWOOD and a similar ISOLDE from the auction :) Just got RAINBOW SPANGLES, PERFECT CONTROL, and QUILT PATCH in the mail. I wasnt quite ready for them though :( Too much rain here in Illinois lately that has set me back.

Are these ok to hold in the fridge for a week or two? or should I just plant them up in containers for the moment? First time with mail order.

• FlowerGardener
    10 years ago

You can put them in a bucket of water just keep the roots wet not the plant or you can pot them. I would not put them in the fridge.

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think potting them til you can plant is the best solution. That way they can be developing roots in the meantime. Wild Cherry wine had been shipped twice, and did not react real well to being planted, so I dug it up, planted it in a pot and stuck it in the shade. It is beautiful now, and I am moving it further and further into the full sun and will plant it in the ground (again) in a few days.
    kay

• darobi2459
    10 years ago

Thanks Kay and flowergardner for the advice :) In the pots they go! As a side story I was at lowes grabbing some extra compost and the lady in front of me was buying a few stellas....I wanted to tell her to put those down and look at the LA so bad, but I refraned lol. Thanks again you two!

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Good luck and happy gardening to you.
    kay

• gardenofeden777
    10 years ago

That Indian Ripple is a pretty one Kay. I have waaaay to many soaking right now. And in pots they are going. I haven't figured out where I want them yet. I bought Miracle Gro potting soil for them. What do you use? I also bought a sack of alfalfa pellets to mix in the pots to help retain moisture.

I'm not sayin' how many more I bought. A few though. lol And early this year I told myself no new ones Rena' you have plenty! But did I listen? Noooo gotta go just 'window shop' on the LA, yeah right, hogwash, window shopping doesn't work Kay! Must resist looking... period. lol

Rena'

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Rena, I use Miracle Grow too. the alfalfa may retain moisture but it has a nice hormonal effect to encourage growth. All of my daylilies get some alfalfa every year.

I have already planted four I think, I have 3 in pots for me and several for a friend (some bonuses and a few I potted for her since she's been out of town) and I have 4 more coming. Of course, I planted several new ones in the fall too. Obsessed? Me?
    kay

• gardenofeden777
    10 years ago

lol Kay. Well I am crazy about variegated plants in general. And once I started collecting daylilies well naturally collecting (all) the
    variegated ones went to the top of the list. So I placed several orders with on-line vendors that I had never ordered from to get those variegated ones... so I (naturally) would add a few more.
    Some are stunning others have subtle variegation. One is about a week away from FFE can't wait for that one! I check that bud stalk every day makin' sure no critters are chewing on it. Golden Zebra and it is a stunner, and never reverts back. The hybridizer even patented it. Sequim Rare Plants is where I found it. Was going to go add a few more of it & they were sold out. I ordered their Kwanso Variegata also since theirs is a double. I had ordered from Robin at Earlybirds her Kwanso too but their was no description of the flower. And I read that their is a variegated double & a single. So hoping that I've ended up with both. And added also a variegated helleborus Janet Starnes. She's a pretty one too. Sequim sent healthy robust plants so I'll be ordering from them again.

Do you like variegated plants?

Rena'

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think they are very pretty, but haven't concentrated on them. Too busy buying pretty faces to concentrate on nice legs, I guess:)

I have 36 plants in gallon pots in my greenhouse that I will be planting in the next few weeks. Starting with the hollyhocks next week, they are getting large enough, I think. Pushing the zone with delphiniums...if they are annuals, that's okay, and putting out some coral bells and lavender and more foxgloves. I have some veggie plants in there too.

But I still have a bit of a daylily bed to weed and mulch.

kay

• darobi2459
    10 years ago

Besides hostas I have a few others like dogwood, lilrotrope, and one of these tulips. I dont remember the name of these but I love them! The variegated one is so small, but pretty :)

I havent had much luck with delphiniums Kay, but what a blue they can have!

• gardenofeden777
    10 years ago

Ah yes, the variegated tulips. The ones with the red white & green, oh if only they could make them southern hardy... Of course don't need another plant to obsess over I have plenty already (screams my pocketbook). lol

That is such a pretty picture. She's teetering on the rock leaning over to get an up close & personal look see. Soooo cute! My girls take daily walks around my gardens with me to see what new flower is blooming.

I like hostas and have 7 or 8 varieties but for some reason they don't float my boat as well as other variegated plants do.

Boy, there's nothing like the blue of those delphiniums huh?
    I bought one last year, kept it in a pot in the shade garden all summer and it bloomed 'til fall! Contrary to everything that I've read. So I planted it hoping that it will return. But alas can't remember where for the life of me... Guess I'll know if it grows and blooms.

O.K. Kay I'm gonna go post some leg photos. lol

Rena'

• newyorkrita
    10 years ago

Kay, Indian Rupple looks like a stunner! And always nice to be adding new daylilies.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!