Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dementieva

2012 Best Blooms from Houston - Round 1

dementieva
12 years ago

For everyone's enjoyment, here are the best 2012 bloom photos from most of the daylilies that have bloomed in my Houston garden so far. More to come after the next batch of buds.

BODACIOUS BITE - Not great bud counts, but really nice flowers that open early and fully every time.

{{gwi:693625}}

BOLD MOVE - Acclimated quickly (planted 2010) and has pretty excellent bud counts this year, but all the buds are really close together, so they get in each other's way.

{{gwi:693628}}

DARK REFLECTION - Also acclimated quickly. I think the original plant I received in 2010 had 7 fans, so that helped. Best branch spacing of my plants so far.

{{gwi:693631}}

DOUBLE DOWN - First plant to bloom this spring. Most of the blooms are either partially double like this (I think of it as a flower with a tongue) or single so far. Early/chilly opener.

{{gwi:693633}}

MALAYSIAN MARKETPLACE - I had to get this after seeing how much everyone on the forum loved it. I can see why -- every bloom opens perfectly.

{{gwi:693635}}

MISSISSIPPI BLUES - Doing great in its first spring.

{{gwi:693637}}

NEW PARADIGM - I'm not sure what to think of this one. It was the rustiest plant at the beginning of the year. The pattern is different from day to day, and a couple times it has partially doubled. This picture is the one that looked most like it's supposed to look. It opens early/chilly.

{{gwi:693639}}

RED CHILE RENDEZVOUS - Another one that has had more than average rust, but I've seen 5 or 6 scapes so far on a 2-fan plant since I planted it in October!

{{gwi:693641}}

RED RAMPAGE - Big funny red flowers. One of them broke a petal in the wind yesterday. To me, the bloom is THIN MAN in a different shaped flower (see below).

{{gwi:693643}}

RENEGADE LADY - It had some funny stuff going on with the edges, but it seems to have sorted itself out. The boldly messy red eye is wonderful! Early opener.

{{gwi:693645}}

SCREEN PATTERN - Very cool looking flower. It didn't bloom last year, but it's making up for it now.

{{gwi:693647}}

SERGEANT MAJOR - Big broad spider. Sometimes the sepals are more straight, and sometimes they are all curled up like this.

{{gwi:693648}}

THIN MAN - Sometimes the petals hang like it just doesn't give a damn. The bloom in this photo made a partial effort. Performing very well, and opens earlier in the morning than my other spidery ones. The only problem is it's planted right next to the garage, so my car mirror bumps almost every bloom!

{{gwi:693650}}

DARK REFLECTION and MALAYSIAN MARKETPLACE - And some $3 garden mums.

{{gwi:693652}}

WITCHES WINK, MALAYSIAN MARKETPLACE, NEW PARADIGM - This is one of NEW PARADIGM's weird looking blooms. WITCHES WINK opens early and chilly and every bloom is good. DW said it looks like the pine cone snuck itself into the picture.

{{gwi:693654}}

TIC TAC TOE (foreground) and other stuff in the front garden - TIC TAC TOE opens early and chilly, very nice every time. Every scape is straight vertical and exactly the same height. Yeah, there are a lot of weeds, but there are also a lot of flowers. :)

{{gwi:693656}}

SKINWALKER and FREE WHEELIN' - SKINWALKER is a three-dimensional wonder, and it acclimated very quickly. FREE WHEELIN' opens a big perfect flower every time, and you can see it from way down the street.

{{gwi:693658}}

Spider buds - SKINWALKER, FREE WHEELIN', and SERGEANT MAJOR buds, all leaning out in a row to escape the shade.

{{gwi:693659}}

Nate

Comments (22)

• katladie
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Beautiful, great pictures too, I especially like the shot of Red Rampage. sharon

• shive
    12 years ago

You have a lot of pretty blooms. My favorites are Malaysian Marketplace and Dark Reflection. Red Rampage looks like a nice large red.

Debra

• houstmag
    12 years ago

Nate they are all beautiful but I would have to say Missippi Blues and Screen Pattern are my favorites love those patterns and colors. Keep those photos coming.
    Linda

• organic_kitten
    12 years ago

They are beautiful blooms! All of the photos are lovely. I especially love the red ones, and the photo of New Paradigm is beautifuul too.
    ky

• Ed
    11 years ago

Great pictures Nate! DARK REFLECTIONS MALAYSIAN and MARKETPLACE are very showy, might have to visit late at nite. ;0) Ed

• anniegolden
    11 years ago

Malalysian Marketplace is my pick out of this impressive bunch.
    Christine

• jean_ar
    11 years ago

OH WOW!!!!You have some beauties there.MALAYSIAN MARKETPLACE is my favorite of them all, but, they are all so pretty.

Jean

• Julia WV (6b)
    11 years ago

Nice Nate. I like your commentary on them as well.

Julia

• avedon_gw
    11 years ago

I had to look at your post several times to decide on favorites, and it is pretty hard to do with so many to choose from. However, Malaysian Marketplace, Dark Reflections, Mississippi Blues and Screen Pattern have to be my picks this time around. Like Julia, I like your comments--for instance telling us about the spacing on the branching. Look forward to more great pics soon. Avedon

• newyorkrita
    11 years ago

I really like the garden bed shots as I always like to see the daylily setting in the garden. Lovely. Lots and lots of great bloom here to look at. Beautiful Flowers. Of course I do love MALAYSIAN MARKETPLACE. It is a favorite here in my garden also. Really like BODACIOUS BITE too, very pretty.

• dementieva
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for all the compliments. I've been taking more notes this year, trying to figure out what's good and bad about the different ones (since a good daylily is more than a pretty face). None of them have been in my garden longer than 2 years though, so I won't be surprised if buds/branches improve more.

DARK REFLECTION was a great performer right out of the box, but it was also disappointing because it wasn't white and near-black like the hybridizer photo (in fact, I had a hard time getting it into the flower show last year because the photo and description were designed to sell plants, not describe them accurately). I've learned to like it a lot though, and I'm really digging the branches.

I have a feeling MALAYSIAN MARKETPLACE is destined to be a pop poll favorite before long, if not an award winner.

Nate

• katlynn719
    11 years ago

Nate, What a pretty group! If I had MS BLUES, I'd be spreading its' pollen all over SCREEN PATTERN. I have a thing for big red spiders, so I was glad to see SERGEANT MAJOR. Do you like it better than THIN MAN? I've been wanting to buy SKINWALKER for some time (love the form) ...but something else always takes precedence. Maybe this will be the year?!
    Kathy

• dementieva
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I am thinking to maybe do some longer crosses involving MISS BLUES and SCREEN PATTERN.

SERGEANT MAJOR is definitely different from THIN MAN -- SM is more serious, and TM is more carefree. THIN MAN was one of my favorites last year. Each of them had one early scape this year, and both have a lot more to come, so I'll reserve judgment until I see them with multiple blooms open. But I'll gladly report back!

Nate

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    11 years ago

I like them all but Red Chili Rendevoux has a nice form with ruffles, so it "edges" out the others. I like your narrative too. Informative....Maryl

• mantis__oh
    11 years ago

I like the garden shots; it gives us some idea of the size of the flower and the scape presentation.

• Waitforspring
    11 years ago

You have some great looking flowers and I really appreciate your comments. So nice to know how a plant performs. My favorites here are Screen Pattern and Free Wheelin.
    Val

• jean_ar
    11 years ago

if this is round one, where is round two? I couldnt find it

jean

• dementieva
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Round 2 will be in a few weeks after a bunch more things have bloomed.

So far, it will have RED VOLUNTEER, FIRE AGATE, WALKING STICK, WHEEL OF TIME, and probably also JUDY FARQUHAR, BROADWAY REVIEW, BLUSH OF SPRING, SOUTHERN WIND, STRAWBERRY CANDY, CITRIX, BECAUSE OF YOU, and my weird "BELA LUGOSIs."

Keep tuned to this channel!

Nate

• gardenofeden777
    11 years ago

Well Nate my favorite is Malaysian Marketplace and I got excited thinking yay I have that one on order. But alas as
    I went to look at my order it is Malaysian Monarch not Marketplace. And BTW you have so many blooms I saw no weeds!
    ;) That's what I tell my husband when he comments on my weeds. "What weeds honey?" "All I see is flowers!"
    Your gardens and flowers are beautiful! Thanks for sharing!
    Rena'

• dementieva
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hah, yeah, some low weeds don't bother me much as long as the non-weeds look good. Most people don't see the garden up close anyway.

Nate

• marricgardens
    11 years ago

With all those beauties its hard to pick a favorite. I've always loved Malaysian Marketplace. Double Down is really nice too. Free Wheelin is always nice to see, but the picture of DARK REFLECTION and MALAYSIAN MARKETPLACE with the white mums behind them is my favorite. Marg

• deangreen
    11 years ago

wow that screen pattern is great. I like the malaysian Mrkt plc too.. great bitone effects going there! great pics. thanks, I like all the different views of the garden. :)