Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mantis__oh

Spring Burst in the Midwest

mantis__oh
11 years ago

I like gradual springs, but there is nothing gradual about spring in the Midwest. Lots of things are bursting now after a very cold early spring. Of course, in 80 degrees, things won't last long (did cool to the fifties today). Here are some things that have been blooming in the last week:

Daffodil ARA is new here this year. I like it a lot. Lasts a long time and has a nice snooty long cup that tends to be a bit upfacing.

LEMON GLOW is a reliable performer. Fades to a paler color.

MOUNT HOOD starts with a quite strong yellow cup and then fades to white:

It is already fading a bit in this pic:

This is St. Patrick's Day, I think. Fades to a color similar to Lemon Glow. Nice this year because we haven't had much rain; its stems don't hold up well under heavy rain.

Anemone blanda benefits from a protected spot here.

PINK CHARM among the daylilies. Picture is a bit more intense than reality.

LAS VEGAS stems could be a bit longer for my taste, but holds well.

MON CHERI is a favorite. Lasts a long time, but stems are short.

What is spring here without a pic of magnolia Spring Snow:

Cloudy skies at peak this year:

This post was edited by mantis__oh on Thu, Apr 18, 13 at 13:51

Comments (13)

• celeste/NH
    11 years ago

What a cheery post to see on such a gloomy, cold & WINTERY day here in New Hampshire! It has been snowing & sleeting all day and I have absolutely nothing blooming this soon. It will be a late spring for me I guess. I don't even have any crocus up yet! Anyway....
    your daffodils are fabulous. I have Pink Charm and love it but mine won't bloom for a long time yet. In fact, there isn't even the slightest sign of leaves even popping up from the earth. Last year everything was early and this year it looks like everything will be late. In most of my garden beds the soil is still frozen.

I also LOVE the anemones! Their color is wonderful.
    Thanks for sharing your springtime beauty with us.

Celeste

• newyorkrita
    11 years ago

Beautiful. I just love your daffs. I was going to get Ara last fall but for some reason I didn't get it. Maybe this fall. I did get LEMON GLOW but mine is not blooming yet. But yours sure is pretty.

• jean_ar
    11 years ago

wow, you have some beauties blooming.Love all the daffs, they are so pretty, I really like mount hood. beautiful. and those blue flowers are so pretty.I had a few daylilies blooming last year at thie time, but this year, nothing yet.

jean

• Nancy
    11 years ago

BEautiful daffs, I love them all! I may have to check into Ara, that one looks especially interesting. I have several different daffs, I should take some photos of the blooming clumps now. All I've done is take pics of the individual flowers to check their names.

• Julia WV (6b)
    11 years ago

Very nice. Only crocus blooming here so far and we haven't reached the 80's yet. I'd be happy if we stayed in the 60's.

Julia

• organic_kitten
    11 years ago

How beautiful, Mantis. thank you for posting. Your magnolia is really lovely, and my favorite of the daffs is Mon Cherie, but all are lovely. So rain is what makes them spindly huh? didn't know that, but it explains a lot. We have had so much rain this year.

Beautiful pics. I see your buddy likes the daffs too. Nice pic.
    kay

• houstmag
    11 years ago

My My you sure have some beauties I especially like Mon Cheri. Your garden helper seems to approve of all your daffs too.
    Linda

• avedon_gw
    11 years ago

Really enjoy seeing pictures of flowers that don't do well in our area. We do have daffodils but most of the hybrids don't take the heat, yours are really lovely, and I like the grape hyacinths planted with them, too. Anemone blandas are beautiful color, and what a spectacular magnolia. Thanks for your wonderful photos. Avedon

• mantis__oh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for all the views. I too would be happy to have a long period in the sixties. I would not say that rain makes stems to be spindly; rather, those that have rather weak stems to begin with can't take the rain. Ara is one that seems very sturdy. Lemon Glow is not so sturdy as I would wish, but it is growing in an area with only morning sun, which may be a factor. The windflowers really need a protected spot in this zone, but it is great to have that blue (along with the squill).

Hope that next week is rainy; we did not get the rain that fell in northern Ohio with this last front.

Here's a close-up of Ara:

• User
    11 years ago

I love all the daff pictures. You have a nice collection. I'm glad to see someone with flowers. We had snow spitting last evening and while I have a few daff leaves poking through the soil - no flowers yet! I need green (and a little color).

• shive
    11 years ago

Lovely spring blooms! I like see all the differen daffs, and that magnolia is fabulous. We have a lot of different magnolias here in my neighborhood, but I've never seen one like yours.

Debra

• darobi2459
    11 years ago

I love that PISTACHIO! Mine started blooming a few days ago too :) It looks like the tulips are on the way up probably next week im guessing. Hostas peaking up and of course the daylilies. Even my hydrangeas are budding :) must have been from the wet winter. Its good to see spring again!

Love your collection mantis!

• Waitforspring
    11 years ago

Your daffodils are beautiful. You have such a nice variety. I also love the beautiful blue color of the anemones.
    Val