Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ilovemyroses

My first Day Lily society sale!

ilovemyroses
11 years ago

Bought 38 different names. Most bare rooted and planted all but a few today. Being new to day lilies, I took whatever I liked as I only have a few.

Siliom double classic
Continental holiday
Darla Anita
Save the children
Calamity Jane
Adrianne's surprise
Enchanter's spell
Sweet tranquility
Blue moon rising
Energized simplicity
Dark towers
Subtle charm
Roaring rapids
Prince Michael
Beaded dress
Anna Marie concerto
American freedom
Too much of a good thing
Steely blue eyes
Chaotic symmetry
Fickle lady
life is good
Atlanta special love
Broadway raves
Raspberry flambé
Echo canyon
Roaring rapids
Dallas joy
Ned's Bettina
Filipino bride
Pumpkin prince
Kathy McCartney
Iditarod
Angel walker
Dallas star
Color me happy
Ed brown
Natchez lace
Feel free to chime in if u have comments. One thing, I have good soil, and am planting to the crown, then a bit of mulch. Bare rooted. Advise??

Comments (11)

• organic_kitten
    11 years ago

Nice haul! You won't feel new for long with that many "babies".

kay

• ilovemyroses
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I know, Kay!! I do feel a bit glutenous!! This is a whole different world from roses. But I am excited to learn more about a very loyally followed plant!

Wondering, do the Evergreen REALLY stay evergreen throughout the winter? And the Dormant really "disappear" so that you need to mark them with a stick or something? And then I suppose the Semi-evergreen do one or the other....depending?

Just curious in terms of planting them, as I would rather put the ones that are somewhat 'ratty' in the off season a bit farther back in the bed.

I hear some people line their beds with them, wouldn't that look particularly bad in the off season?

Oh, I am SUCH a newbie!!

Thanks!!!

• organic_kitten
    11 years ago

Hey, you've just started. I literally cannot get on the lily auction without seeing something I "need". I have over 300, and I am a beginner compared to a lot here on the forum.

In Dallas, you can bet they will stay green. I am in central Alabama, and here, the dormants disappear in winter. All my others look a little "ratty" by the time spring arrives, but they quickly improve. I suggest you mark all of them, because you will want to know what is where, and your memory, however good it may be, won't be that good. some people use mini blinds that they cut into pieces and write the name on the piece. Me? I'm the idiot that puts these labels up on the plants

{{gwi:694289}}

...the labels are still beautiful after 5 years, however. I figure as much as I may pay for the daylily, its worth a little extra for the label, but that is me.

They will not be the raving beauties of bloom season. But bloom season is so beautiful, it is worth it. Here is my front bed last week with the red tulips lighting it up.

{{gwi:676069}}

Here are a couple when blooms start:

{{gwi:694291}}

{{gwi:694293}}

They are not as neat as the rose between flushes, but I love the silly things.

You are going to have so much fun! Welcome to the obsession. And avoid the lily auction to save your money. Although you can get some great buys:)

kay

• ilovemyroses
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Kay, what a dream-land!! So pretty!! Thank you for posting. Are most of these several years old? As mine are bare root single fans, I don't 'expect' much my first year...I say that, fully wanting a beautiful first year bloom...but, like roses, it takes some time.

I do love your labels. Where and how much, i ask!! I did label them all, took the plastic printed label and cut wire hangers to be a 8 inch "U" shape, threaded the label through and put in the ground. I am sure yours are pricey, so I may have to resort to aluminum labels with written/pressed in names. Unlike roses, there is not a place to attach it to the plant, so in ground labels will have to do.

Yes, I am sure I won't avoid the auction, but $480 later, I need to!! I think I can collect these cheaper varieties for now and stick to trades with friends and day lily society sales...altho they can obviously add up.

The most I have ever paid for a rose is $30 including shipping, so I don't think I can betray my first love too soon.
    But you never know!! I have a little 'hoarder' inside of me!! Again, thanks for the pictures, truly inspirational!!

• organic_kitten
    11 years ago

Another good thing to do is to make a chart of your daylily planting. that way, if someone decides to move your labels around, or a dog uproots them, or any other mishap, you still know what is what. I get these from labels from Oakes, and they are 5 each (4.99) choice of green or black ground.

I have gotten into roses and iris too, so can understand first loves.
    I have only been doing roses for 3 or 4 years. But even though you want a lot of blooms, I won't let but one bloom open on a single fan...just like roses, I want to put the energy in growing the plants. (Friday, I dis-buded my new Loretta Lynn, and My new little Wild Blue Yonder. It hurts! Loretta Lynn had two full blooms and several buds. sigh)

You will usually get bloom even the first year, but they will increase over the years.

The first time I paid $50 for a daylily, I wanted to put a false label on it for fear of it being stolen. I will recommend Bill Maryott to you when you look at daylilies again. He gives wonderful bonuses, and as the summer goes along, he has great specials and sales. You can order three plants from Bill and wind up with 10 plants with the bonuses, and they will be big healthy double fans or more.
    kay

• ilovemyroses
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Good to know. I'll look bill up.

My! I can't disbud!! I don't think I ever have! Except once, before a month long trip. I nipped them all. Hoping they could put their energy into surviving without me!! So you only let one bloom remain the first year?? I want them big, but after all this work, I do want to enjoy!! I admire your discipline. Me? A weak one at that!

Alls good though!!! And yes, a plot of all names soon. (Gotta quit moving them!)

• dementieva
    11 years ago

In Dallas, your evergreens and some of the others will stay green through the winter, but the summer gets hot enough that a lot of plants may die back some in the hottest part ("summer dormancy"). If you start seeing some yellow foliage and disappearing plants, they'll generally pop back up when the weather cools off a bit.

Nate

• random_harvest
    11 years ago

Yes, that was quite a sale, wasn't it? It started at 9 a.m. and five minutes later, the bins were almost empty.

• avedon_gw
    11 years ago

Have you checked the scape heights of your daylilies? Did that information come with them when you bought them? That was a mistake I made when I was just starting out. If I thought the daylily was pretty, I bought it without any regard for the height of the scape. For instance, Siloam Double Classic is listed at 16" by AHS and it is the only one on your list that I have. Anyway, luckily I put it in a place where it is not shaded out by taller daylilies. This was pure luck for it is the shortest one I grow, and when it began to bloom, I couldn't believe how short it was. Dummy me thought all daylilies were the same height, around two feet tall or thereabouts. So, if you haven't given any thought to scape height, now is the time so when you plant, you won't have shorter ones towered over by taller ones. I know that Broadway Rave will not be tall, in fact, I just checked, and it is listed at 20" so somewhat taller than S. Double Classic, but still on the short side to me. Avedon

• ilovemyroses
    Original Author
    11 years ago

avedon, yes, i checked height and color, and planted away. Not that I got it all right, as I planted and planted and planted....but, we shall see!! and NEVER do i get it all right, I change and move plants like it is living room furniture!!

random harvest, so you were there too?? a seller or a buyer?? come on, what did you get??

dementieve, good to know, i might have thought i had killed it and been so disappointed. i hope the evergreens do look decent...i tried to hide the others a bit more, as anticipating a more straggly look in the off season, but, being a rose and perennial bed...it will look ratty for a few months of the year!! and that is ok. can't have it all! (and I need a few months to recover and prepare anyway!)

• random_harvest
    11 years ago

Got Jerry Hyatt, Sweet Tranquility, Too Much Of A Good Thing, Zuni Thunderbird, Steely Bue Eyes.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting