Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardengirl_17

Favorite Curt Hanson daylilies?

gardengirl_17
15 years ago

I am want to order some more Curt Hanson daylilies but instead of just buying them based on pictures, I'd love to know what your favorites are if you grow any. I have several of his already but since he's from my neck of the woods his plants do well here and I want to add more. I"d love to hear your favorites!

Comments (33)

• FlowerGardener
    15 years ago

Please tell us which ones you have. Some of the ones that are favorites in my garden are Bela Lugosi, Primal Scream and Swallow Tale Kite.

• Edward_Kimball
    15 years ago

Far and away my favorite is Joan Derifield.

Edward

• Julia WV (6b)
    15 years ago

I have SPIRITUAL CORRIDOR but I haven't seen it bloom here yet since it came in last year. Based on the fan increase -(started with 2 and have 4 coming up so far)- I'm seeing when it emerged this year, I think it will be a definite winner in the garden.

Julia

• waytogrow
    15 years ago

LOUNGE LIZARD without a doubt. Of 15 or so Hansons & 100 others Lounge Lizard really stands out. Great folliage lots of buds and a unique look. Not planted in PRIME location, at the edge of a shade tree it only get direct sunlight after 2 P.M. But it looks great all day long.
    Wayne

• gardengirl_17
    Original Author
    15 years ago

All good suggestions and you're right, I do love Primal Scream, Swallow Tail Kite and Lounge Lizard. Amazingly enough I don't have Bela Lugosi yet so I should probably get it. Everyone loves it. Every time I see a photo of Joan Derifield I love it so I appreciate the recommendation Edward. These are the Hansons that I have:

Ansel Adams
    Apocalypse Now
    Arc of Doves
    Assyrian Chariot
    Be Here Now
    Earth Music
    Excursions in Ambiance
    Jean Hamilton Memorial
    Kissed Off
    Lounge Lizard (I love this one too Wayne!)
    Love Or Else
    Never Say Never
    Notify Ground Crew
    Ocean Rain
    One More Heartache
    Out of Plumb
    Primal Scream
    Roaring Fork
    Robert Lee Batt
    Rock Lobster
    Star Chamber
    Statutory Gripe
    Stephanie Grapelli
    Swallowtail Kite
    Tupac Amaru
    Voices in Fog
    Women Seeking Men

I think that's it. As you can see, I'm a fan. :) So you may ask, what are my favorites from this list? Well, there's not a single one I don't like but some of my favorites are Robert Lee Batt, Excursions in Ambiance,
    Jean Hamilton Memorial, Lounge Lizard, Primal Scream, Women Seeking Men. Boy, it's hard to narrow it down!

• maximus7116
    15 years ago

Hanson is my favorite hybridizer -- I think I have around 100 of his intros now. I envy how close you are to his place that you can go and grab what you like!

It's hard to narrow down my favorites, but I'd have to list RED SKELETONS, SWALLOW TAIL KITE, JOAN DERIFIELD, COGNIZANT DISSONANT, TEN CENT WINGS, PRIMAL SCREAM, LOVE IN VAIN, ODDS AND ENDS, JOHN KARL SEAGER and definitely VULCAN LOGIC.

Here's a to my photo albums -- I have the Hansons in a separate album. I added a ton last year that didn't bloom, so there won't be pics of all those I grow. Let me know if you're interested in any specific cultivars, and I'll let you know how it does here. Some are definitely slower to increase than others.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hanson Photos

• shive
    15 years ago

Gardengirl - You already have a lot of my favorites. How about some late bloomers? Waves Becomes Wings is a great performer and blooms very late. Unity Consciousness is ML but blooms way into the late season.

Others I really like:
    Sparticus Adorned
    Cognizant Dissonant
    Odds And Ends
    Black Falcon Ritual
    Freudian Slip
    Slipped My Disco
    Red Sleeved Warrior

Debra

• sharons2
    15 years ago

Maximus,

How well do SWALLOW TAIL KITE and COGNIZANT DISSONANT perform in your zone - especially compared to some of the Munson lavenders (like China Lake, Alvatine Taylor Yeats, Chaleur, Queen's Cape, Sovereign Queen, Paris Overture, Royal Heritage, and Royal Saracen)?

I've seen SWALLOW TAIL KITE described as having very clear (not muddy) color, so I've been pretty interested in it.

Thanks,
    Sharon

• maximus7116
    15 years ago

Sharon -- I planted STK and CD the same year, and STK has grown like gangbusters, while CD has been slow to increase. STK has a much higher bud count for me, too.

I grow all the lavender Munsons you listed, but Alvatine Taylor Yates is the most recent addition of the group. It's been the best performer so far. Most of the others are still only 3-4 fans after being here about four years, and the bud count is only notable on ATY and Paris Overture. The rest are beautiful, but don't perform all that well. The Hansons perform much better once they settle in.

Another lavender Hanson that's been a stellar performer is ON THE WATERFRONT. None of the Hansons I grow have a muddy or mauve tone to them, or I'd toss them.

Chris

• fairysoapgirl
    15 years ago

Isn't it funny that I love Curt Hanson's daylilies, but some how only have TWO? Weird.

CRINTONIC SHADOWLANDS
    MASK AND METAPHOR

Chris - your album is spectacular. You have a lot that I just love.

COGNIZANT DISSONANT
    SINS OF OMISSION
    TUXEDO MOON
    SUPERFICIAL SIGHS
    VULCAN LOGIC
    ROMULAN DEFECTOR

I still think my favorite WANT is NICK OF TIME... Ahh... someday.

I really like Catastrophe Waitress too...

• sharons2
    15 years ago

Oh, yes. On the Waterfront is on my wishlist, too. I'm glad to know it's also a stellar performer.

How vigorous are Chilled Euphoria, Shadow Passage, Sins of Omission, Ocean Rain, and Tuxedo Moon?

Thanks,
    Sharon

• maximus7116
    15 years ago

Thanks, Michelle -- just wait until I get that new camera! CATASTROPHE WAITRESS was at the top of my wish list, and I have it coming from the Lily Auction (along with 12 other new Hansons).

Sharon, CHILLED EUPHORIA was new last year and hasn't increased from two fans so far. TUXEDO MOON was the first Hanson I ever purchased (maybe six years ago?), and it's a nice clump in a somewhat shady spot, so I'm happy with it. The other three have been fine, but I think SHADOW PASSAGE has been the mose vigorous grower for me. SINS OF OMISSION was also new last year, so the photo isn't the greatest, but I think I have some new fans this year.

Make sure you let me know what you end up with!

Chris

• gardengirl_17
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow, thanks for the lists! This will help me a lot with some new selections. I wrote down several. Ones that caught my eye are
    Concrete Blonde ( I need some yellow)
    Worlds collide
    Erogenous Zone
    Freudian Slip
    Photon Torpelo
    vulcan Logic
    On the Waterfront
    Romulan Defector
    Superficial Sighs

If there any of these that you haven't already mentioned above as far as how they do for you, I would like to know.

While I was in your gallery Chris I couldn't stop from looking at some of the Munson's too. It's late and I couldn't make it through all of them tonight but I did really like Etosha Flame, Africa Grape, Kabuki Ballet, Paris Overture and Delicate Treasure. Are all of these good clumpers for you?

Good night all!

• maximus7116
    14 years ago

Great choices! I forgot to mention CONCRETE BLONDE, one of my favorite yellows -- big blooms, thick scapes and a terrific performer. WORLDS COLLIDE has one of the prettiest blooms, but has been slow to increase for me.

Most of the Munsons have taken a while to form clumps, but that's nothing new for my climate. ETOSHA FLAME was new last year, so I can't comment on that one. The others I would rate as satisfactory compared to other Munsons I grow.

• fairysoapgirl
    14 years ago

Chris - Oooo... I can't wait to see new photos. I think some Hanson's might be at the top of my list now that I have gotten my SWEET ISABELLA, JAZZ AFTER FIVE, and HILL STREET BLUES. I am really trying to stick to a strict list since I have such limited room now. Although there are some Davissons I really like too... oh geeze. This is always impossible! :o)

• maximus7116
    14 years ago

Michelle, this is bizarre -- SWEET ISABELLA and a couple Davissons are at the top of my wish list now, too. I pared the list way down from around 300 to a more manageable 50, and I intend to stick to it!

• fairysoapgirl
    14 years ago

Chris - for the Davissons, I really like (well, a ton of them, but...):
    No Boys Allowed
    Gimme, Gimme, Gimme
    In My Pink High Heels
    High Water Mark

I wouldn't mind having Lost in the Toystore, or Carolina Cool Down either...

I *JUST* got SWEET ISABELLA on Monday from Marietta. I got two fans as advertised... hoping she will take off now that she is planted.

Others on my ~*VERY*~ MOST WANTED LIST:

ANA MARIA MARGETTS
    CHOO-CHOO FANTASY
    DANGLING PARTICIPLE
    DANNY STEVE MITCHELL
    FRIEDA ALL EN JARRELL
    JENNIFER TRIMMER
    MICHAEL BENNETT
    SUSIE TEE
    TILTING AT WINDMILLS
    VICTORIAN GARDEN OH HAPPY DAY

Did it just get wierder, or are your wants completely different?

• maximus7116
    14 years ago

Yep, those are all the Davissons I want, but at least we won't be competing for all the same daylilies since your wish list is a little different than mine. I already have CHOO CHOO FANTASY and FRIEDA ALLAN JERRELL, and would love to get MICHAEL BENNETT and DANGLING PARTICIPLE. After more Hansons and the Davisson daylilies, CAROLINE'S CHARM is probably next on my list.

• gardengirl_17
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm glad to hear Concrete Blonde has been a good performer. It sounds like I'm not alone in that many of my Munsons are not fast increasers. I have one old one called Mountain Violet though and it is a monster. Huge and great bud count. Fades some in the hot sun but still too many buds to let it go. :)

• maximus7116
    14 years ago

I know much depends on soil, sun, etc., but for what it's worth, the Munsons that increased most quickly for me were CAMEROONS, KING'S CLOAK, CORFU, PARIS SILK, CHINA VEIL, DESERT JEWEL, ALVATINE TAYLOR YATES and WIMBERLYWAY HEAVENLY BLUSH.

I prefer most Hansons to Munsons because they're Northern-bred and tend to have much stouter scapes -- but there are a ton of beauties out there from both hybridizers.

Chris

• sharons2
    14 years ago

Maximus- Do the Davissons perform well for you in the North?

What other pinks and lavenders perform well and have quick increase and/or high budcount?

Sharon

• maximus7116
    14 years ago

Sharon, I started another thread about good pink and lavender performers. Hopefully, we'll get others to chime in with their recommendations.

Unfortunately, I haven't yet shelled out the bucks for any Davissons. I thought I would wait for the price to come down, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen anytime soon. They must not be that widely grown, since I hardly ever see them offered for sale on the Lily Auction or through other vendors. I know she was sold out of the ones I really wanted last year, so that made up my mind for me.

• floota
    14 years ago

I grow some of Judy's. Most ( except OSTERIZED) were new last summer. All survived the winter w/ flying colors - and grew and increased like mad. I'm impressed before even seeing them bloom. I can't wait to see MEAN GREEN,NO BOYS ALLOWED (has made a big clump already);LITTLE BIG EARS. ( what a funky bloom!) And I just got CAROLINA COOL DOWN and DANCING ON DADDY'S FEET. Will send pics when they bloom.

• fairysoapgirl
    14 years ago

Oooo..... Floota! The green jealous monster creeped in my door!!

• sharons2
    14 years ago

I've found two sources for Swallow Tail Kite, so I'm pretty excited about that.

Can anyone comment on Hanson's Tide Line?

• fairysoapgirl
    14 years ago

Anyone comment or post pictures of Borg Technology? Just picked it up... can't wait for blooms. Make that *3* Hansons!

• maximus7116
    14 years ago

I love the funky colors and eye on Borg Technology --

{{gwi:694605}}

BLUE EYED BUTTERFLY, BORG TECHNOLOGY & COGNIZANT DISSONANT

I plant my daylilies WAY too close together, by the way.

• fairysoapgirl
    14 years ago

Ah yes... Chris, I think this picture is the reason I really wanted BT.

Today, I couldn't help myself, and I started ripping out MORE jasmine, so I could space my daylilies a little better myself. I found that my KO roses have increased in size TREMENDOUSLY and have totally crowded out the front row of daylilies I had placed. Besides, I also brought home BLUE CORN MOON, FRIEDA ALLEN JERRELL AND SEARCHING FOR BLUE (BONUS) when I visited Marietta's. And that is *in addition to* JAZZ AFTER FIVE and SWEET ISABELLA that I had her ship to me earlier. So much for not buying anymore! Geesh, no will power at all.

• mareas
    14 years ago

Fairy, my Tideline was new last year but bloomed like crazy - this photo was taken on a 102 degree afternoon ~

{{gwi:694606}}

Nosferatu & Bela Lugosi are tried but true Hanson's that I cannot live without.

• gardengirl_17
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Chris I am loving that picture of Borg Technology!

• daylily_dreamer
    14 years ago

I was reading some old posts and realized that Curt Hanson is in our neck of the woods. Is there a website for everyone to his farm? I tried searching it and the only ones I get are "forbidden". I went to the white pages and found a Curt Hanson in Gates Mills, Ohio. Is that him? My sister-in-law and I are planning several daylily sprees this summer. I think we could add one more! Thank you

• maximus7116
    14 years ago

Yes, Crintonic Gardens is in Gates Mills. For some reason, his website is down right now, but you can usually access it through crintonicgardens.net or .com.

• daylily_dreamer
    14 years ago

Thank you maximus!

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm