Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mantis__oh

spring color

mantis__oh
11 years ago

Early April has returned to near-normal temps. Love the sixties in April, since things last longer. Also better temps to work in.

Tulip Ollioules is long lasting.

{{gwi:694678}}

Virginia Bluebells (the favorite plant of a dear departed friend, generous to a fault, wouldn't kill a spider)

{{gwi:694680}}

Another visitor

{{gwi:694682}}

Tulip Leen Vander Mark (lasts a long time)

{{gwi:694684}}

Leen Vander Mark is more creamy when it first opens

{{gwi:694685}}

Tulip Flaming Parrot

{{gwi:694686}}

Spring Snow Magnolia from two weeks ago. With summer-like heat, these crisp blossoms didn't last long.

{{gwi:642510}}

This one is from today. I like to occasionally see the poster; hope you like it too.

{{gwi:694687}}

Comments (12)

• shive
    11 years ago

You have such gorgeous tulips! Heat in the 80s made for a very short tulip show here. I like the photo of you and your garden buddy. Glad to hear you are back to some normal spring temps. It's been near 90 the last two days when I've tried to weed.

Debra

• anniegolden
    11 years ago

The photo of your magnolia is pure magic. Also love the bluebells.
    Christine

• Nancy
    11 years ago

Beautiful tulips! ANd a wonderful photo of the magnolia. Thanks for adding your photo, I always enjoy putting a face to a name :) I've enjoyed your photos this morning.

• Julia WV (6b)
    11 years ago

Wow, love all the tulips especially the pink one. My agenda is to add more bulbs this fall so hopefully I can find that one.
    It is good to put a face with a user id. ;-). Love the beagle too.

Julia

• organic_kitten
    11 years ago

What a lovely picture, in fact all of them are lovely. Ollioules are one of my favorites. I like to plant them in a group among the roses. They are usually one of my early one. Your stat Magnolia is beautiful. This heat is shortening bloom on many plants here too. We are supposed to be in the 70s this weekend which will be grand.

What is your beagle's name? I agree it is nice to know who we are talking to.
    kay

• newyorkrita
    11 years ago

Beautiful tulips, just lovely. I really like that Spring Snow Magnolia also. Always nice to see a face to go with a user ID. Nice beagle too.

• dipsandtets
    11 years ago

What a great photo of Spring Snow Magnolia with the blue sky. I really love beagles and wonder how old yours is?
    (Does he/she hunt voles? lol)

• mantis__oh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Loper is a bit over 4 years old. His nose is actually not nearly so good as that of other beagles I've had. I don't hunt, but I can tell a dog's scent skills even when he smells for scattered kibble. My beagle with the best nose was my beloved Calypso, a female, whom I sometimes let loose in the woods (and she would go berserk).

Yes, Kay, Ollioules tends to be early here too. It is usually easy to find, Julia, and not that expensive. As a Darwin Hybrid, it is also tends to be perennial. Only problem with the tulips here is that you have to be religious in using repellent.

• Julia WV (6b)
    11 years ago

I've already been googling to see who has that particular tulip. :-). I think it would go well with Pink Impression that floota posted on her thread.

Julia

• mantis__oh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Julia,

Ollioules is usually offered by Scheepers and Van Engelen. It is a bit earlier than Pink Impression (which is just now at its peak, whereas Ollioules is nearing the end). If you want complements for Pink Impression, I would choose others in the Impression series.

• Julia WV (6b)
    11 years ago

Good point. Thanks. I'll check out Scheepers and Van Engelen.

Julia

• avedon_gw
    11 years ago

No tulips here, so love to see everyone else's. Vriginia bluebells are wonderful, and how nice to see the picture of you and Loper. Thanks, Avedon.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?