Return to the Daylily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
nitrogen deficiency?

Posted by darobi2459 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 16, 13 at 23:44

Hi daylily friends! Some of my seedlings arent looking so healthy recently :( Many have droped there bottom leaves, and are curling, and loosing there green or turning brown.

Im new at starting from seeds, so im guessing from my experience from mature plants here as it being a nitrogen deficiency? They have been fertilized with miracle grow jump start a few times diluted by half.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)

David

david_robinson10's seedlings album on Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: nitrogen deficiency?

Dear David,

This may seem like a silly question, but when my seedlings start to turn brown with the bottom leaves dying it's aphids. Check for those little devils - they can infest a tray of seedlings and kill quite a few before I notice them. If you have them I can suggest what's worked for me to get rid of them fast.

o

I havent seen any aphids, but that of course doesnt mean there not there. I have some nats. I have a fan blowing in the area too. A friend thought the humidity level was to low and check for that. How did you get rid of those aphids Thomas? Thanks :)

o

Just figured how to post multiple pics lol
 photo DSCN0021_zps6d4aa0f8.jpg

photo DSCN0020_zps2facc924.jpg

photo DSCN0023_zpscd81d83c.jpg

photo DSCN0026_zps5dbe7774.jpg

Thanks everyone, I hate being an annoyance newbie :)

o

Number of things COULD be the cause:
Over/ under fertilized. You said you fertilized twice with a weakened portion of mix. Is it 10-10-10 or what?
Gnats are in the soil and feasting on the roots.
Not enough sun light/ warm temp in relation to the amount of watering. Water from the bottom, not top.
Build up of salt from your water source.

Be sure your have no "mold" growing on the surface of the medium your growing your seedlings in.

It is natural for outter leaves to die back but also you should have new growth come from the center.

It is always hard to tell what is the primary cause. so you may need to try a few different things.

o

Hi Juliany, I used a half mix of 4-12-4 quick start, I think it was 3 times, and there is a quarter mix of jobes organic fert mixed in the media. That is a 4-4-4. I always water from the bottom, fill the tray about half inch above the bottom. It soaks it up usually all the way in an hour or so. I have had some mold, I usualy just mix it around to break it up.

Thanks for the tips :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Daylily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here