Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deeter_gw

Varigated Hemerocallis

deeter
14 years ago

I have a varigated Hemerocallis that is four years old and this year some of the new fans are coming up solid white. (It is actually five years old this Spring.) This is the first year it has ever sent out solid white fans. They have always been varigated like the mother plant.

I have read where most varigateds turn back to solid green in time; but haven't read anything about them turning solid white. Has anyone else had them turn white?

It has never bloomed before, so don't know what color the blooms will be. It has grown to full size with fans large enough to bloom so I'm hoping it will bloom this year.

I would appreciate any information about this daylily anyone can offer.

It's very striking in my flower beds and get's a lot of attention from everyone who see's it.

Comments (8)

• planterjake
    14 years ago

I can't help you, but I woud love to see this picture when it blooms.

Jake

• planterjake
    14 years ago

I can't help you, but I woud love to see this picture when it blooms.

Jake

• floota
    14 years ago

At last summer's AHS National Convention in Houston, I photographed 'Golden Zebra' in one of the gardens. It is among the best known of the variegated hemerocallis. ( and as you can see from the pic, is obviously grown for its foliage as the bloom is insignificant.) I asked people on the spider robin about it later,many had tried to grow it in more Northern regions or even around here and found it tender. Most had lost it, so I think it is more for Southern climates.

{{gwi:699105}}

• uroboros5
    14 years ago

This is not usual.

The meristem is made up of an handfull of cells, divided in 3 layers. In variegated plants, some layers are devoid of chlorophyll-producing cells, creating a variegated leaf.

If a meristem mother cell migrates from one layer to another, the shoot may become all white or all green, depending on which cell moved to what layer.

These unproductive white shoots cannot grow independently from the rest of the clump, and are a net energy sink. They will weaken the rest of the plant and reduce flowering.

• deeter
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you everyone for all the information. When it blooms I'll post a picture. Also sounds like I need to remove the all white fan from the mother plant.

I have about 30 daylilies, all collected in trades for my iris' the past few years. They are such a beautiful plant and have gorgeous flowers, so many colors and variations in the blooms.

In response to growing this varigated I have; I live in zone 5 and have had snow 7 1/2' deep the past two winters with temperatures -17 degrees and summer heat 117 degrees and this daylily and the others all seem to thrive. I have only lost one daylily and it was a tiny little start less than three inches tall so didn't think it would make it but had to try. I'm a sucker for giving little plants a chance to grow. I did all I could to try to save it; but it was just so tiny to survive so late in the year. The roots had hardly begun to form.

I do have two daylilies that have only formed two fans each year and never bloom; what causes this? One is unknown name, the other is Azure Violets. They seem to be healthy by appearance.

Does anyone have any idea why these two other daylilies don't develop more and grow as they should?

• deeter
    Original Author
    14 years ago

My Varigated Hemerocallis has bud stems forming; the first ever. I'm so excited and can hardly wait until they are large enough to bloom out and I can take it's picture.

It sent out three new white plants and one green plant. The white shoots now have a thin green streak right down the center of each leaf. One of the white plants is right against the mother plant and not sure if I can remove it without damaging the mother plant. The other two white and the green have been removed from the mother.

Can anyone tell me if it is safe to remove this other white fan from the mother? When would be the best time to remove this white baby if it can be done safely? I definately don't want to lose the mother plant. It is so pretty.

• virgo45
    14 years ago

I have grown Variegated Kwanso for a number of years and it is very hardy here in Zone 5. VK has a double orange flower as shown below. Some years it does have a pure white fan and other years it does not. It also produces some complete green fans as well. The foliage is never exact two years in a row. I have divided it down to single fans a number of times and have never lost one yet. VK multiples very rapidly and the new fans are never identical to the original fan. The flower will give you a better idea as to its identity. Good luck and I hope if flowers for you soon.

{{gwi:699108}}

• zamzow
    13 years ago

I just bought 2 of these in 2009 - one didn't make it through the winter - the link below shows what mine looked like about a month ago.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kwanso Daylily

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting