Return to the Daylily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tuesday's (belated) daylilies

Posted by Polymerous 9b (My Page) on
Wed, May 30, 12 at 3:46

Better late than never...

Sir Clyde This is an oldie I bought years ago on a nursery tour, solely because the potted plants were loaded with poly blooms. I brought it home, and in the several years since, I have had less than a handful of poly blooms from it! Despite this disappointment, I like it well enough to keep it, even though the budcount, branching, and form aren't spectacular. It is nicely paired (not shown in this picture) with Penstemon 'Garnet'.

(Just to give you an idea, here is an older photo (from 2006) showing 'Sir Clyde' with the Penstemon 'Garnet'. (The Penstemon has not yet fully recovered from its late pruning this year (2012) and has barely started blooming.))

Ledgewood's Irish Spirit I keep wanting to call this one "Ledgewood's Irish Spring". The true color is a bit more faded lavender (bluer) than this.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tuesday's (belated) daylilies

To bad about the Penstemon because it's really a pretty color and adds much to the garden. My vote goes to the Ledgewood's Irish Spirit. Ellie

o

'Nicely paired' indeed. The penstemon and Sir Clyde are great together and look so good against the stucco wall.
Christine

o

They do make a great combo, a really pretty penstemon.

o

Very pretty Sir Clyde is my favorite.
Linda

o

Penstemon Garnet and Sir Clyde make a great couple!

Linda

o

I really like them both, but number two gets my vote this time. :)

o

I like Sir Clyde. And that is a great combo.

o

Thanks for all of your comments.

The penstemon-daylily combination was really a lucky pairing; I saw the penstemon at a nursery and loved its color, then when I got it home I didn't have a good place to put it other than in that narrow house strip. I thought it *might* go well with 'Sir Clyde' (which as a potential poly breeder was going into that area anyway), and sure enough it does. The golden orange and red colors work well together, and the penstemon color harmonizes nicely with the eye color on the daylily. (Maybe that combination is one reason why 'Sir Clyde' is still in the garden!)

Re 'Ledgewood's Irish Spirit' - I really couldn't get the cooler blue-lavender tone on the digital camera, and didn't want to mess around color adjusting in Paintshop (maybe next time...). In general that is true for my purple and lavender and "blue" eyed daylilies - they all lose their blue tones when I take the photos. Maddeningly, though, when I took a picture recently of Clematis 'The President' it came out purely blue without any of the slight red tinge it has in real life!

o

I love that top daylily with that Penstemon. I've never heard of that plant, it's quite pretty, especially for a punch of color.

o

Lovely combo.
kay

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Daylily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here