Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bloominghaus

Scapes on Long Island!!

Several of my daylilies have scapes and are going strong here on Long Island which is quite early...early as one can imagine. These are not even Stella's. Should be an interesting year, and maybe a lot of annuals will be needed to full in and retain color after the very early flush of bloom this year! Never had roses bloom in late April and early May before either. It's funny seeing them bloom with the lilacs and before the peonies and even before all my hostas (the large size ones) are fully up. Isn't this why we garden? It's always a different Kalioscope every year, new surprises...a whole different show! It's like playing golf...you never know what you're going to get!!! Andrea

Comments (4)

• organic_kitten
    11 years ago

Yes indeed, Andrea. I have never had daylilies and Iris blooming at the same time before, but do this year. Everything but the iris has been early, and they ere on time. Odd year. But scapes are exciting, aren't they?

kay

• newyorkrita
    11 years ago

Andrea, are you near the city or more out on the island? I am here in Nassau County right near the sound on the north shore and I haven't seen any scapes. Now I will have to go out and look extra hard at my early bloomers just to make extra sure. My roses are budded up but aside from a few stray blooms here and there that are early (which always happens each year) they are not ready to bloom yet. Although I am sure they will bloom early this year. I have the last of my daffodils and tulips still blooming while my Tall Bearded Iris just started. Too early for them also.

My lilacs are still blooming but I really am astounded that you have scapes starting!

• bloominghaus7/LI/NY
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes Rita, definitely scapes! I live on the south shore, suffolk county. One daylily is a very early blooming red I received from a daylily society sales years ago and I'll have to check on the other daylily that's just beginning scapes to see which one that is. The early red is unidentified, I actually saw its scape last week, tomorrow I'll check around some more. Sometimes your lilies start to bloom earlier than mine so I'm curious to see if you have some scapes lurking out there somewhere. My knockout's are starting to bloom, about a month or month and a half earlier than usual, especially the one's I didn't get a chance to prune yet...which may be the key. Lilacs (all types all at once this year) and quite a few clematis in bloom, some for awhile(Montanas) and some just starting (The President, etc), bacholar buttons, azelas, tree peony,and of course, forget me nots all over the place (but that's normal) Have all different types of bearded Iris, the dark purples are starting to phase out, but some of the others are poppin fresh, such as my yellow and soon to be pink (sorry, would have to check it's label for name). I have a pink and white blooming beautifully (again have to check the label) now. My Kousa dogwood is all budded up to my amazement for that usually blooms for July 4th weekend, not this year.

• newyorkrita
    11 years ago

You made me go look really carefully and I found scapes on VT FLAT GOLD an extra early bloomer that is a plain flower but early bloomer. But not THIS early, ha-ha. I prunned my knockouts heavily in March so they are not ready to bloom. Usually I don't prune them much. But things are very strange this year. I have daffodils blooming in front of lilacs blooming. Dutch Iris and TB iris all started blooming already. Weird, weird, weird.

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz