Return to the Daylily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Golden Zebra.... site?

Posted by thisismelissa z4a-S Twin Cities MN (My Page) on
Sun, May 6, 12 at 10:37

The only other mentions of Golden Zebra daylily on this forum mention it's potential tenderness.

If you've tried growing this daylily, would you comment on its hardiness and the site where you have it planted?

I'm thinking, given my zone 4 garden, potential from drying winter winds and dense soil, I may want to pot this one.

Your thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Golden Zebra.... site?

I was curious about Golden Zebra, so I looked it up on the AHS data base. There is no listing for a daylily with this name. Are you sure you have the right name? There is a listing for a Lemon Zebra, and just Zebra, (which dates back to 1948). Avedon

o

The cultivar referred to by 'Golden Zebra' is not registered by that name. That is a trademarked name, but the same cultivar has been registered as 'Malja.' ( see below from the database.)

Malja (Malan, 2007)
height 10", bloom 1.97", season M, Dormant, Diploid, 8 buds, 4 branches, Clear golden yellow self with variegated foliage. (unknown � unknown)

In all honesty, I cannot see this cultivar surviving in MN, unless you grow it in a greenhouse or bring it in for the winter, as it is known to be tender even in zones 6 & 7.

The flower is insignificant, but the foliage is neat. I saw it growing in Houston.

Here is 'Malja' AKA Golden Zebra.

Golden Zebra ('Malja')

o

Variegated daylilies are of interest to me thus an earlier search this winter revealed that the marketing name 'Golden Zebra' is both trademarked & patented (#14221) and, as given above, has been AHS registered as 'Malja' (Malan 2007) ... Seems to have originated in South Africa and was found in a seedling bed there in 1989. Interesting to see the comments re hardiness as I was not aware of the frost tenderness factor.

It is available in both USA & Canada thru a Google search for sources.

o

The 3 I bought are Monrovia... tag says zone 4. But we all know Monrovia is a bit pushy when it comes to zones.

I'm now a bit leary of keeping them.

I hope more chime in about this plant!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Daylily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here