Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ruthz_gw

Finally

ruthz
9 years ago

My first daylily bloom was Dilemma a few days ago, but it didn't open good. This one is perfect.
The picture doesn't do justice to this one.
In the sunlight it sparkles, especially the edges. They look like spun gold.

This post was edited by ruthz on Thu, May 22, 14 at 12:31

Comments (13)

• ruthz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Quiet Reflections opened today but it is almost always blotched looking.

• ruthz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Joyful Mood bloomed today for the first time ever since it's new last year. I expected it to be pink??
    Would love to see pictures of this one if you have them.

This post was edited by ruthz on Thu, May 22, 14 at 12:28

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    9 years ago

The first blooms always bring a few surprises. Fingers crossed that the blotchy purple clears up. Dilemma looks like a yellow with an orangish/pink wash over it. That diamond dusting on it is always a welcome sight. Looking forward to more blooms.........Maryl

• Julia WV (6b)
    9 years ago

I agree, you just never know what a bloom will look like on the first bloom. I think I have DILEMMA (Maryott ?) too but I don't think it came back this year.

Julia

• mantis__oh
    9 years ago

Your Dilemma looks super! This is what Bill breeds for--roundness and ruffles. Unfortunately, very few of his plants grow well here. One after another has died or languished. A cautionary tale--what does well in one zone may be a disaster in another.

• ruthz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the input.
    I've had Quiet Reflections for a number of years and it's most often blotched looking, as is Bubble Yummin Mama.
    I'd love to figure out the reason and correct it.
    You'd think Carpenter's would do well here, but I had Mississippi Red Dragon for several years and it never bloomed.
    Texas Blue Eyes is my only other Carpenter and it has a scrape on it. Hope it does well.

I hope Joyful Mood's color is just because it's a first bloom. I can't find any pictures of it, but I know it's supposed to be rose/pink color so this can't be right.

Dilemma is my only Maryott daylily so I don't know if they would all do as well here. I have to confess I was very disappointed when I received it as a bonus. I have seen all the raves about his bonuses and that's the one I received.
    I think it was selling for $12.00 and had something in the description about rust. Who sends a daylily that is prone to rust to Texas where most of our winters don't get very cold.
    So far it's been great. No rust and sometimes the first and the last one to bloom. A few of the blooms don't open good, but that happens with others sometimes also.

Today's new bloom Triple Cherries

This post was edited by ruthz on Fri, May 23, 14 at 17:58

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    9 years ago

Triple Cherries is a daylily that, from the picture at least, doesn't need to settle down and bloom properly. Very pretty.......... I've had a few daylilies from Maryotts, one was Texas Heat Wave which was a beautiful orange. Couldn't have asked for a nicer daylily - with one exception. It rusted. The one year (so far only one) I had rust, it was loaded. Bill warned about it having rust problems in his catalog, but since I had never had rust before I didn't think it would be a problem for me. Wrong. Here's my take on Maryotts:- Thanks Bill for forewarning me about the rust (very honest for a hybridizer), Thanks for such a beautiful daylily, but so sad and too bad about the rust....I mean it is Calfornia that he hybridizes in so the temperatures never get cold enough to freeze out the rust spores at his nursery. Just a Caveat....Maryl

• jean_ar
    9 years ago

beautiful blooms. maybe the next picture will not have blotches on them.its some kind of little bug that causes it.forgot its name.

jean

• organic_kitten
    9 years ago

Thrips cause blotches. Bubble Yummin Momma has them even when I spray....except for the occasional spectacular perfect bloom....so I keep hoping. Yours are looking good Ruth. Did Salty Skipper survive? I had amarillos digging up everything and feared for Wild cherry Wine, but it has several blooms and a couple scapes so it got through okay.

kay

• ruthz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

kay, do thrips prefer certain daylilies like Quiet Reflections and Bubble Yummin Mama?
    I love Bubble Yummin Mama and it's almost always blotched also. The two are in different beds.
    I don't normally use any spray so I guess I'll just deal with it.

Salty Skipper did not survive for me. I'm not sure what happened but it just sorta died away. It was right beside Wild Cherry Wine and I was worried about it dying also, but it actually has it's first bloom today. I love it.
    I'll take some pictures and try to post later.
    I have too many errands right now and we're expecting some heavy rain this afternoon.

• jean_ar
    9 years ago

Thrips usually will attack my darks, purples, lavender's and red's first thing, so I spray them about every other day when I see buds about to open soon.the first Night Rythems I had was full of splotches, and I sprayed it heavy and the second bloom was ok.I don't usually spray the whole plant either, just really soak the buds.

jean

• ruthz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

First bloom on my Wild Cherry Wine on a rainy morning.

• ruthz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Jean, does the spraying work? What do you use?

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH