Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stpetegardengal

Starman's Quest

stpetegardengal
13 years ago

This is a dumb question, but has anybody grown Starman's Quest in a southern region? It is a dormant. Dave's Garden lists it as growing 3a - 9b.

Thanks,

stpetegardengal

Comments (15)

• beachlily z9a
    13 years ago

I've never grown Starman's Quest, but dormants don't grow in my garden. Sometimes, however, daylilies are misidentified when they are registered. I don't know about this cultivar.

• katlynn719
    13 years ago

SQ does pretty good here in the FL panhandle. I like it better than its' parent TRAHLYTA. SQ has a bigger, showier bloom and taller scapes.

STARMAN'S QUEST
    {{gwi:707025}}

Kathy

• random_harvest
    13 years ago

I've had it for two years in Dallas and it's doing ok even though I've been moving it around.

I used to try to avoid dormant daylilies, but I've discovered that dormancy or lack thereof has little or no correlation to whether or not a particular cultivar thrives for me.

• stpetegardengal
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Beachlily and Katlynnlily and Random harvest! I guess my broader question is really which dormants might do well here. I am hoping Increasing Complexity would be happy here, but it is a dormant. Starman's Quest is a big part of IC's heritage.
    Katlynnlily, thanks for the photo, and may I ask, how old is it in the picture?
    Ransom harvest, that is what I am wondering -- do you have to just take a chance and try it, to really be sure?
    Thanks again, Everybody!!!

• katlynn719
    13 years ago

That pic was taken last year. SQ hasn't bloomed this year, but it has scapes. I think this will be its' 3rd year in my garden. Like Random, I never pay attention to dormancy when making a purchase. But please note that I am in zone 8, which might make a difference. If you have any local daylily farms, it would be a good place to check and see which cultivars perform best in your area. Also, you can check the popularity polls at AHS. Best of luck!
    Kathy

• buyorsell888
    13 years ago

It is beautiful

• stpetegardengal
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi and thanks, Katlynnlily! That is so interesting, that you never pay attention to dormancy when making a purchase! does that mean you and Random both have other dormants growing for you? That is exciting for me. :-) I have purchased 3 that are theoretically dormant - but this is my first year, so we'll have to see how they do. I can't beLIEVE all the gorgeous daylilies!!

I have been to Lambertson's Art Gallery Gardens now, and Floyd Cove by Guy and Karen Pierce, and last Saturday went to Dan Hansen's Ladybug... WOW -- I have never seen so many flowers in one place in my LIFE!!!
    I think I have a new addiction...

• beachlily z9a
    13 years ago

Stpete, I don't think you or I will have that luxury. Daylilies in 9b present a .... challenge of sorts! Pay attention to the EV rating.

• stpetegardengal
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Beachlily,
    yes, thanks, I hear you. I was today looking at growing zones, and I think there is a huge difference between zones 8 and 9. Rats!! Well, I only have 3 dormants at this point, so will just have to see how they do - but I will stop gazing at everything on line and narrow it down to FL growers. :-)
    Hey, do you have particular favorite(s) that do well for you?

• beachlily z9a
    13 years ago

Of course I do! I've been doing the leg work for you for the past 4 or 5 years! My husband and I going to be gone for a while. I'll get back to you with a list. There's a good possibility of plants coming you way in the fall if that works for you. Gotta get rid of the extras some way!

• beachlily z9a
    13 years ago

Just some information, please. What colors do you like and what forms do you like? Big flowers? Spiders? Big edges? I usually do bold, clear colors but have all forms and colors.

• stpetegardengal
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thanks, Beachlily!!! that would be great. I like many things - spiders and unusual forms, bright colors, dark colors, white - and big is good, but I bought a Paprika Flame that is small yet mighty! :-) I will look forward to seeing your list of what grows well for you. Florida heat makes for garden challenges, sometimes.
    Thanks again!!

• beachlily z9a
    13 years ago

OK, I walked the garden and looked at my picture album. I had the daylilies holding up their leaves saying look at me! I don't do Photobucket, need to do Photoshop first, and haven't done that either. I'm a gardener! Anyway, here is the list. You might look at Tinkers or email me through my page on the Gardenweb.

JOY OF LIFE. Jack Carpenter, 2006, 30" tall,6" bloom. Bright orange, single then double blooms.

HURRICANE SWIRLS. Pat Stamile, 2006, 36" tall, 6" bloom. Purple with gold or white edges and angel wings. Hint: hangs up when those silly angel wings happen.

ORLANDO TRUFFLE. David Kirchhoff, 2005, 33" tall, 5.75" bloom. Saffron gold double with orange red halo. Had this a while, it won't go away. Beautiful!!

THIN MAN. Dan Trimmer, 2002, 42" tall 12" Spider. Bright red self with yellow eye that drips down the bloom. Awesome!

BRER RABBIT'S BABY. Ned Roberts, 2002, 30" tall 5" bloom. Black red UFO crispate with personality.

PAHOKEE PRINCESS. Mort Morss, 2003, 26" tall, 5" bloom. pastel peach pink with lavender eye outlined in purple. In my garden, this baby is PINK. Blooms like a fool!

BACK SCRATCHER. Dan Hansen, 2006, 33" tall, 7" bloom. Purple with lavender watermark and white toothy edge. It's a UF Crispite.

HELIX. P. Stamile, 2002, 33" tall, 9" bloom. Early in the year, 26" bloom and lousy budcount. I complained. The daylily looked at me and said, "Look, 11 scapes and you're complaining!" Oh well, can't argue with a daylily. He is bordeau red and curls. On rebloom, he'll get 33" but makes up lousy budcount with more multiple scapes.

These are my keepers. I've posted pictures at hybridizer dot net and click on "registered gallery". All the pictures are there! Everyone who posts to this gallery understands that anyone can use their pictures. It is all voluntary, and I need to update some of my photos there.

If you have questions, just ask. There are other cultivars, but I love the above.

• lauraroxie
    13 years ago

Thanks so much for this thread. I have admired them all week long in zone 7A and was lamenting that i NEVER see daylilies here. Always seemed odd with so many other forms of lily around.

Do you have any good places to purchase in tampa bay?

• stpetegardengal
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Lauraroxie, I am super new at this, but look online at Sample Gardens in Tampa. I discovered LA (Lily Auction) before actually seeing any in person, and succumbed to a few on there - that is mail order - and so far, the mail order ones look pretty happy. They were/are small, so only 1 has actually bloomed now. But that has only been like 6-7 weeks! Cannot beLIEVE how addicted I have become, so quickly!!! My hubby and I also took some "field trips" to several gardens near Orlando. I know that is a drive, but it was SO WORTH IT to get to see the flowers growing in real life.
    Happy daylily-ing!!!

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery