Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shive_gw

Blue Eyes ready for the rain (photos)

shive
11 years ago

We've got storms coming this afternoon. But this morning's blue eyes were wide awake and ready for the day.

TEXAS BLUE EYES ffo - I fertilized this one in the early spring and it paid off with the most saturated color and best bud count I've had on this one in four seasons.

METALLIC BLUE EYES clump

{{gwi:707346}}

CERULEAN WARBLER duo

INDIGO BUNTING ffo

JITTERBUG BLUES - This one is a big clump now with lots of blue-eyed blooms, but the flowers open late and it's hard to photograph in full sun.

And here are some of my blue eyed seedlings.

Seedling Redefined Design X Blue Eyed Bandit #1 - This is best sky blue eye I've gotten on this seedling so far

Seedling Redefined Design X Blue Eyed Bandit #2 ffo

Seedling Smooth Jazz X Mort Morss

Seeding Precious Candy x Twilight Illusion - The eye is not really blue, but sort of blue violet

Debra

Comments (15)

• marricgardens
    11 years ago

My favorite seedling is the last one, Precious Candy x Twilight Illusion. From the others I really like TEXAS BLUE EYES, CERULEAN WARBLER and JITTERBUG BLUES. Marg

• newyorkrita
    11 years ago

Another batch of true beauties. My favorite is that lovely clump of METALLIC BLUE EYES.

• celeste/NH
    11 years ago

All of these blue eyes are stunning. Two of these I have wanted forever: Cerulean Warbler and Texas Blue Eyes. Your photos of them are outstanding. Your seedlings are exceptionally beautiful too. I love all of your pictures today (no surprise there). It is always a treat to 'wander' through your garden.

Celeste

• organic_kitten
    11 years ago

All those gorgeous blued eyed babies! It seems as if your Cerulean arbler is having a good "on" year. Beautiful! Actually, your second seedling is my favorite of this group.
    kay

• Brittie - La Porte, TX 9a
    11 years ago

Oh I just love the purples!! Texas Blue Eyes is just incredible (Must. Have.), and your seedlings are wonderful!

• Nancy
    11 years ago

Lovely lovely seedlings, every one! I love blue eyes & yours are great. Texas Blue Eyes is probably my favorite, wonderful color. Indigo Bunting looks quite brilliant too, love Metallic Blue Eyes too, that is a wonderful clump.

• jean_ar
    11 years ago

I Love the last one.Its gorgeous.
    What do you fertilize daylilies, with?

jean

• gothiclibrarian
    11 years ago

I really love your Seedling Redefined Design X Blue Eyed Bandit #2...the soft bands of color in the eye are fantastic!

Cheers!
    ~Anika

Here is a link that might be useful: GothicLibrarian.net

• shive
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Jean - I only fertilized a few this year. I use Bayer 3-in-1 for roses and flowers, more for the systemic insecticide than the fertilizer. It got too hot too early this year, and I was afraid to apply it when it was in the 90s. Some years I put on compost and Milorganite, but hot weather happened too fast for that.

Debra

• shive
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Annika! The eye on that seedling has kind of a watercolor wash effect that I really like.

Debra

• shive
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Chasing Shadows has a dark blue violet eye, but for some reason it photographed as blue today.

Debra

• shive
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Nancy - Indigo Bunting is quite striking. The eye photographs more of an electric blue that it really is. It's more of a denim blue in person.

Debra

• Julia WV (6b)
    11 years ago

Debra: I haven't noticed any garden shots yet. Are you holding back on us?;-).
    These are all pretty and blue eyes are always a favorite.

Julia

• shive
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Julia - Yes, I'm holding back because of tall grass and weeds growing in my gardens. My gardens look like hillbilly hell this year. The clumps are the most you're going to see until I get a chance to tame them. With the early extreme heat plus bloom starting early before school was out, I didn't have time to take care of them properly.

Debra

• houstmag
    11 years ago

WOW!!!! gorgeous photos of my favorite colors, love them all.
    Linda