Return to the Daylily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
You May Already Know this, But... Cool Tip

Posted by organic_kitten 7 (My Page) on
Fri, May 25, 12 at 12:12

We have had very cool nights lately, and the blooms are not opening normally. I have gone out up to five times for a very few that I wanted to photograph. And somtimes a very pretty group is spoiled by one bloom not quite opening.

Yesterday, I noticed that several of them were very slowly opening, and on a whim, I reached over and very gently moved petals into place. Bless goodness! It worked! If there is resistance, stop, you might tear it, but I did it again today, and it worked beautifully. Inca Prince, Medici Palace, Bear Claws, qhite a few of them.

As I said, I am sure the great photographers already knew this, but it was a neat discovery for me, and I thought I would share it with you in case you didn't know this.
kay

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: You May Already Know this, But... Cool Tip

Thanx Kay but I knew it. I didn't think that anyone didn't know or I would have shared it.. It's a good tip, gal!! Ellie

o

When I was a member of the iris society, they taught us to open an iris this way. Cup your hands around the opening bloom and breathe on it. Don't know if it would work on daylilies or not.

o

That's a neat one too.
kay

o

I always try to open those darned slow opening blooms. I usually end up tearing the ones with lots of ruffles like Wonder of It All. I might try Flower Girl's tip tomorrow.

Debra

o

• Posted by maryl Z7 Okla. (My Page) on
    Sat, May 26, 12 at 15:09

I tear too. I thought maybe you weren't supposed to futz around with them. Now that I know it's doable I'll try and be a little more gentle. The warm breath idea sounds interesting. The good news as far as daylilies go, our temperatures are hot now, the bad news for the the daylily lover, is that our temperatures are hot now. Always something......Maryl

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Daylily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here