Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hostavalley

Variegated hemerocallis...........

hostavalley
16 years ago

hello hemerocallis fans..

can someone please tel me if there is a variegated leaved daylily (Hemerocallis).

And are they very rare...???

Jeroen

Comments (19)

• okbt
    16 years ago

There are a few of them.White Stripe is one.It has yellow blooms.I bought one last fall called Verigated Kwanso, but it hasn't bloomed yet.Supposed to be orange like Kwanso.

There are others,but I don't know how stable the verigation is.

• cody_mi
    16 years ago

golden zebra

• hostavalley
    Original Author
    16 years ago

thank you for the picture...Are those plants ...TC...or Original stock...and what are the costs of these plants!!!

jeroen

• highjack
    16 years ago

Hi Jeroen - nice to see you on the sunny side of the Garden Web. You need to share pictures of your hosta with the daylily folks here.

Yes, the variegated are all TC's. Several of the big mail order nurseries carry them. They are not overly stable and must be divided to keep them variegated. One of the cultivars starts out variegated and by the end of the season it will be all green. Sorry can't remember the name.

Hope you have a great hosta growing season and intro many great new plants.

Brooke

• caliloo
    16 years ago

Hey Jeroen!

Glad to see you! I'm a newbie at DLs, but it is so much fun to find a whole new plant to be come addicted to... Good luck with your varigated DL search!

And I agree, you should share your hosta pictures over here - they are so beautiful!

Alexa

• jkunkel
    16 years ago

Jeroen,
    There are a few as listed above, White stripe, golden zebra, varigated kwonzo, and secured borders (which starts out varigated and then truns green at the end of the season.) None of them produce overly pretty flowers. Nothing fancy but the foliage, but the varigated Kwonzo has double orange flowers! There is a varigated Kwanzo on the lily auction right now in the Doubles section (buy it now)for 25 dollars. I have read that the golden zebra which has yellow varigation instead of white keeps it varigation!? Personally I don't know, I don't grow any of them. I know that they sell golden zebra, and secured borders at a place called Plants delight nursery. Hope this helps! If you get one post a pic, OK! -Jessica

• juliet11
    16 years ago

When I visited Floyd Cove Nursery, I saw Golden Zebra. It wasn't blooming, but it had very nice variegation - it looked sort of like a large liriope. Grace Stamile said that it grew slowly for her and hadn't bloomed well for her yet, but the variegation was stable. I think she said she got it from Wayside Gardens. She told me that if you want variegated seedlings, the pod parent has to be variegated, and I don't think she'd had any luck setting pods on Golden Zebra yet. Grace told me it has small plain yellow flowers.

Juliet

Here is a link that might be useful: Golden Zebra

• hostavalley
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks you all for your reactions on this question.....and thanks for so many reactions...that's very kind of you all!!

I'm looking for a variegated daylilly for myself....thats because i have found one severl month ago'by myself....in 'Stella d'Orro...it's looking great!!!...

yes i'm sorry ...i'm a bid a hosta man!! that's why the most of you know me from.from Hosta Valley (1000 hosta pictures)...I'm breeding them too...you can find my intro's on my website....

this My Halcyon with a whide yellow....and then white margin...

'Valley's Glacier'...

[img]http://www.hostavalley.com/Valley's_Glacier2.jpg[/img]

How do I get a picture???

Here is a link that might be useful: Hosta valley

• caliloo
    16 years ago

Here ya go....

{{!gwi}}

That is just stunning. When will it be available?

Alexa

• katlynn719
    16 years ago

This is Kwanso Variegata foliage. It has scapes, but isn't blooming yet -
    {{!gwi}}

And this is the bloom from last year on Kwanso Variegata-
    {{!gwi}}

Your hosta is beautiful!
    Kathy

• highjack
    16 years ago

Jeroen has many outstanding hosta introductions and they are making their way to the US now. Check out his website if you have any shade gardens that need to be perfected.

Brooke

• unknownsir
    16 years ago

Alomst all of the variegated dayliies are not stable.
    Golden Zebra is supposed to be stable. i have had it for two years and have not seen a green scape but also have never seen a flower scape.

I have collected 11 variegated daylilies so far. But have lost one. There are a few others I am hoping to get. I also am starting this year at trying to breed for a stable variegated daylily.

White Stripe is one i have several striped fans of. From looking at it's leaves and another variegated daylily seedling it seems even the green fans still can carry the variegated trait, just subdued/hidden. Will try to get pics of this over the weekend.

sherm

• okbt
    16 years ago

Interesting,Sherm. What are the names of the ones you have and want? I only know of 4.

Betsy

• unknownsir
    16 years ago

keep in mind that they aren't stable, but i have:
    Abbey Dore Court
    Arkansa Shanty Lily (not a regstered plant and maybe not different, hope to find out this summer)
    Dottie Warrel's Peach Seedling ( looks like peach float?)
    Golden Zebra
    Holly Dancer
    Pearl Harbor x Tippy Tippy Tin seedling, A pink flowered Tet plant to be registered real soon (not mine, just watching it)
    Kwanso(variegated version)
    Rocky Horror
    Secured Borders
    Striped Gem (lost over winter, think i planted it too deep)
    Variegated Jackpot (Tet)
    White Stripe

i would like to get:

Striped Gem (since i lost mine)
    Saginaw Sweetheart (asked to be put on list when available)
    i talked with two people in the past who promised a piece of some plants they have sports on when they have enough, in exchange for another plant, hopefully they follow through.

can make comments on these plants later have to get to work now.

sherm

• unknownsir
    16 years ago

one thing i have taken note of from varigated daylilies that have green fans is they might not be as green as one thinks. last year every fan of Dottie's Peach seedling was green but i did note some lighter streaks,thought that i was just wishing, this year i have some variegated fans.

I seperated three green fans off of White Stripe last year and this year one fan shows variegation and one fans definatly has streaking.

Check out this link to see what i am talking about:

http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeehuxd/variegatedphotoalbum/

sherm

• chrismich250
    16 years ago

I have golden zebra for 3 years now ($25 one fan), one flower about the size of stella o'doro, but on a short stem. it is still at one puny fan. I moved it so it will get more water this summer, so I hope it helps. The Kwanso (a spreader, not a clumper) is a triple chromosome, so it can't be used for hybridizing usually.

• virgo45
    16 years ago

I know that both the Kwanso's, green and variegated, are pod sterile, but are they both pollen sterile as well?

• unknownsir
    16 years ago

Kwanso is a tripliod which means it has 33 chromosomes.
    a diploid 22, tetraploid 44. usually when you make a cross 1/2 of the genes are provided by each of the parents. 11 for dip and 22 for tet. you can not generally get 33 to divide evenly so triploids do not work right. it isn't that the plants are sterile just that it doesn't really work. however bad genes do happen and sometimes you can get both pollen and pods from triploids that set seeds. also due to defects you can also get a diploid to pollenate and tetraploid. the seeds from a triploid cross will usually be diploid or tetraploid and be ok, but sometimes you get a very weird seed that will end up with a really incompatable gene wise plant. that is how i understand it.

sherm

• kaydye
    9 years ago

I was searching to find out about daylily variegation as far as getting variegated seedlings from Golden Zebra. I had a seed pod on mine last year and decided to plant the seed and just see. The first to sprout was albino and died quickly. The others are green, no sign of variegation. I assume from the posts above that either hemerocallis are not like hostas (seed pod on variegated parent), but rather only come from sports? Is that the consensus?

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional