Return to the Daylily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Transplanting day lillies

Posted by newbieshelley Washington D.C. (My Page) on
Fri, May 7, 10 at 13:03

I'm not sure if this is the best forum to post in...

Could you please share your best tips for transplanting orange day lillies and white easter lillies, and what time of year is best? We will be moving within the year and I want to make sure I am catching all of these plants at the right time and save as many as possible.
I don't want to move them now (to an intermediate location) then again when I move, but I also don't want to get stuck moving at a time of year when I cannot transplant it.

Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Transplanting day lillies

Not sure what your orange daylilies are, but most likely you can dig them anytime, I have some older ones that I have moved when they are in bloom and they do just fine. Also you could pot these up now too. The white lilies, well you need to wait until after the bloom and the stalk turns brown to dig up. Although if you dug up enough soil around it and put it in a big container, it will must likely do just fine. I have dug up stargazer lilies in bloom taking up alot of the surrounding soil with them and they did well. If your white one is Casa Blanca, they are pretty hardy and can take some abuse, but still best to wait until fall on the white lily, and the orange daylily can go anytime, just so it gets 'rehomed' well before a frost so it can establish itself. Hope any of this helps.
Cindy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Daylily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here