Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newyorkrita

Wednesday Daylilies

newyorkrita
11 years ago

BLACK EYED STELLA. This big clump is in my front yard. It had blooms yesterday, which I only noticed today because of the spent flowers.

Here is the front yard clump of BLACK EYED STELLA in a landscape shot.

VERNAL TU-TONE FFO The clump is loaded in scapes and buds!

SARATOGA SPRINGTIME had twins today.

Closeup

Forever Stella

First lily to bloom back in the daylily garden.

Look carefully and you can see lots of lily stalks with buds in here. The lilies are mixed colors so who knows exactly what they will be.

Here is one of my Siberian Iris blooming.

This is what people (like me) do when they want to grow vegetables but have run out of room! Beans in pots.

Backyard roses near the garage.

And some front yard rose views.

Another rose view.

Yellow Sunsprites.

Comments (18)

• polymerous
    11 years ago

Those roses are beautiful! Especially the yellow one.

• jean_ar
    11 years ago

Rita, Your first daylilies are very pretty. BLACK EYED STELLA is a pretty one, and the VERNAL TU-TONE IS A VERY PRETTY ONE, TOO, BUT, THAT SARATOGA SPRING TIME is gorgeous. very bright and pretty. LOVE it.You should feel very proud of yourselff to grow roses like those.They are gorgeous and so very healthy and green looking.Love them..is that lily bloom named Lolipop?

jean

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you both for the compliments on the roses.

Jean, I suspect that might be Lollipop as it does look like it but it came in a batch of mixed lilies so I am not sure.

• anniegolden
    11 years ago

Well, Rita, Hooray that your daylily season is underway, but your roses are still stealing the show. Very beautiful roses.
    Christine

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks! But the roses always outshine the very early daylilies as these are mostly plainer flowers. Still, I like them just because they do start the daylily show.

• msjam2
    11 years ago

Oh wow, beautiful Rita!!

• Julia WV (6b)
    11 years ago

Love the roses Rita.

Julia

• shive
    11 years ago

My favorite daylily is Saratoga Springtime. I love the glorious lavender and blue colors on the Siberian Iris. But the roses are just breathtaking!

Debra

• Brittie - La Porte, TX 9a
    11 years ago

Everything is beautiful as usual!

• organic_kitten
    11 years ago

The early daylilies are pretty, and theey foretall beauty to come. the beans look very healthy, and the iris and lily are lovely. Is that a Lolypop lily?

The roses though, now they are to die for!

kay

• Nancy
    11 years ago

I like your Black Eyed Stella, seems like it blooms good for you each year. I have Black Eyed Susan & always trying to call it Stella. Gorgeous roses! I'm sulking again because I can't grow roses due to the demon Japanese beetles. I already spotted a couple!

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, everyone!

Kay, that probably is Lolipop, it sure does look like it. But came in a batch of mixed colors so who knows for sure. Those beans are growing like crazy. I can see them get taller each day. The roses are looking great again this year.

Nancy, Black Eyed Stella always looks good for me there in a large clump in the front yard. For years it was always my first to bloom daylily. But then I got some of the mostly plain extra earlies and now it is near the begining of my season but never the first to open any more.

I am lucky as there really aren't any Japanese Beetles around. Knock on wood!

• Waitforspring
    11 years ago

Your roses are so beautiful and your daylilies are loaded with buds so the next act of the show is starting.
    Val

• houstmag
    11 years ago

Rita you have such beautiful roses and it's nice to see your DL's starting to bloom my favorite is Vernal TU Tone. You sure are going to have a lot of veggies you are going to be very busy come harvest time.
    Linda

• celeste/NH
    11 years ago

Rita, your roses are breathtaking. I am jealous that you said you don't get japanese beetles. They are terrible here and it's because of them that I no longer buy any more roses. I had to downsize just for that reason. I only have around 150 rosebushes now (had over 300). I'm getting excited because my roses are starting up already, which is early. That Vernal Tutone I have longed for from the first time I saw your picture of it but Olallie didn't have it when I ordered. I love your lily land with the asiatics sticking up out of the daylilies...that's what I do too. I also like how you used the bright red tomato cages for your potted beans. It makes it look really chic.

Celeste

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I find roses easy to grow. Yes, I do have to spray and prune but it is well worth the effort. Honestly, roses that just didn't work out around here got tossed and replaced.

I am seeing so many scapes all over each time I look around the garden.

I love the lilies up there between the daylilies so much that I am planning on ordering more and planting them this fall.

The veggies, well what can I say. I grew veggies here for ten years before I ever decided to start redoing the garden with the shrubs, roses and flowers. All during that time, I still grew veggies. My veggie crazies is an old one as it goes back to childhood. My mom grew all sorts of veggies and I was her helper.

• missylin
    11 years ago

Everything is fabulous, as usual N.Y.Rita. Love that Siberian Iris and the sunprites. Is that some kind of heather in with Black Eyed Stella? You must work 10 hours a day in your garden. Just gorgeous.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

missylin, it is Walkers Low Catmint. Blooms all summer. If it gets out of hand, I just cut it back. It soon starts blooming again. Fabulous plant. I have a bunch of them around the garden. I spend a lot of time out in the garden any day that it is nice out and by that I mean not raining. But I don't know how many hours of that I am actually working. Certainly not ten hours a day. Not even five hours each day.