Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mizlizzie_gw

Happy Returns . . . kinda didn't return?

MizLizzie
10 years ago

Hi, I am regularly on the kitchen forum but today walking past my exploding daylily bed I thought of a strange question someone here might help me with. I have no experience with daylilies until recently.

In the autumn of 2010 a professional landscaper installed a swath of daylily bulbs as a part of a larger job that involved rock retaining walls, etc -- stuff we couldn't handle. She let me chose the variety from a list of recommendations and, loving yellow, I chose HR. They were pricey, IIRC. But in the spring of 2011 they came up, and bloomed lushly --and very yellow -- all season.

The following year they returned, but curiously, almost all of them had turned orange. Two or three of the plants in the row remained yellow. It is the same again this season. It looks a little odd to have a row of orange daylilies with random yellow ones popping up. Can day lilies lose their . . . hybridization or something? Could they be getting pollen from a neighbor's bed? Could it be the soil? Something we did? Everyone says she planted the wrong thing -- a cheaper daylily -- but I swear, the first year they came up, they WERE all yellow.

Lastly, is there anything I can do short of ripping out the few remaining yellow and replacing them with regular orange? Many thanks. I am not crazy, I swear.

Comments (5)