Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newyorkrita

Terraces Garden, driveway side,

newyorkrita
12 years ago

The terraces garden now early in the spring. I just got those Portulacas planted and mulched in the bottom terrace. They have flower buds but not ready to bloom yet. Then there are zinnias planted behind the middle daylilies in the second terrace.

Up on the third terrace lillies are growing well. I already planted nasturtiums there in the middle. The Hummingbird mints are also growing there and bloom from late spring until frost. I also transplanted my two geums up to that third terrace.

Meantime Lillies and daylilies growing really well in the garden all along the driveway.

The view along the front yard is quite differant than earlier in the spring when it had all the daffs and tulips for color. It does have afew iris starting to open with more to come and by June the roses will bloom. Plenty of color then. After the roses finish the daylilies bloom.

TB iris clump Rio Rojo

TB iris Spot Starter and Prague

Sideyard View

Thru the Lupines.

{{gwi:683333}}

Lupines

Comments (14)

• Nancy
    12 years ago

Everything is looking so lush & ready to bust out. Your iris are lovely, especially love Prague. But your lupines are outstanding!

• Cindy zone 6a
    12 years ago

It does look so green and full. I also am struck my Prague, and the lupines are wonderful. Everything is so well maintained and neat looking. Isn't it amazing how the scene can change so much week to week, and then month to month.
    cindy

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Things are between the 'big shows' in certain key areas of the garden. The spring bulb show is done, but the TB iris are just starting while the roses have a long ways to go before bloom. That is why little gardens like the columbine garden and Lupine garden are important at this time of year. Not big areas but lots of color and impact.

Come later in the year that terraces garden which doesn't look like much now, is brimming with color and bloom. A big star in my garden with the daylilies and lilies being the star attraction with the nasturtium, hummingbird mint and annuals in there providing color until frost. I really love that garden.

I usually do something like marigolds in that front part but I went in a completly different direction with the Portulacas in front. Then brought the zinnias back, which I had the first year of that garden.

• sunnyjay
    12 years ago

Rita, you have the kind of garden that I've always wanted. It's so neat, tidy and perfect. Everything looks so healthy and lush. The colours in your gardens really pop. It's like candy for the eye. You have done such a great job with everything. You can tell that you truly thought about every flowers spot in your garden. I really enjoy looking at your pictures. They are so cheerful and just make me happy! Your lupines are especially beautiful and I love that dark burgundy iris!
    Jason

• organic_kitten
    12 years ago

Rita, your yard is looking gorgeous, as usual. I have serious lupine envy. Yours look really beautiful, and your terrace garden is beautiful by nature of the neatness of your planting...you'd never see mine neat like that!

Your Rio Rojo clump of iris is really breath-taking. I love the deep rich color. As always, it is beautiful.
    kay

• katlynn719
    12 years ago

I agree with Kay - I'm eat up with lupine envy! Everything looks like it's gonna give you a great show, Rita.
    Kathy

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you all for the compliments.

That terraces garden was planned so that the hardscape alone would make a statement and be pretty no matter what was planted. But then the garden was also planned. Lots of you know I have moved daylilies around in that second terrace many times.

I really do have to think about what I want to plant and were I want it as my garden just isn't that large and I have many plants. I started my gardening career just plopping things here or there willy nilly and soon found that didn't work for me. It really isn't perfect but it does please me and give me lots of pleasure.

• Nancy Barginear
    12 years ago

Rita, that's just awesome. When you run out of every inch of space and energy, maybe I could talk you into planning on how to fill up our empty spaces!

Nancy

• jean_ar
    12 years ago

I think it is gorgeous, Rita, the way you have every thing arranged.and I love your hardscapes.I am like every one else, too,I have Lupine Envy :-) they are soo pretty.

Jean

• katladie
    12 years ago

Love those lupines. You have done a wonderful job on your gardens. I also started out planting willy nilly, but my gardens have a long way to go before they look as professional as yours. sharon

• blue23rose
    12 years ago

I am sooooo jealous, Rita! lol. Everything is so beautiful, even the foliage. I know you put a lot of work into your garden and it shows.

I love the way the portulaca is lined up so perfectly:) And I love your view of the porch through the lupines.

Vickie

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks again for all the compliments. You all know that I just love, love, love my garden.

Well, I could never design anyones elses garden as I am sure the way I do things here will not work for everyone. Plus each person has their own vision of what their garden should look like. I just figgured out what works here for me by trial and error.

Vickie- I have to laugh at the comment about the lined up Portulacas. I do tend to plant things like little soldiers lined up in a row LOL! I planted all my daffs in those front mini terraces in rows like that. Thing is I am not looking for the results to look like rows, they grow out of it. But it is easier to set and space out plants. By the time the daffs bloomed there was no row look and I know by the time the Portulacas fill in and start to bloom it will just be a mass of flowers. You will not be able to tell if they were lined up or willy nilly.

• anna_in_quebec
    12 years ago

Spectacular - in every way. A feast for the eyes!

• mikesc
    12 years ago

Rita,
    It's beautiful! I enjoyed every photo--thanks for posting!

Mike in SC